• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to overclocking, need some help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChaseCIA

Ok, I will be the first to admit that I'm not as good at this stuff as all of you on these forums are. I know enough to get me what I want out of a computer, ability to trouble shoot issues that I might have and know what to put in a computer to make a pretty serious RIG.

I have a new laptop, just got it shipped out less than a month ago. Spec's are:

Manufacturer: MSi
CPU: Intel 4910MQ 2.9GHz
GPU: NVidia GTX 880m 8G
RAM: Kingston 16G DDR3
Hard Drive: 240G Crucial SSD in Raid 0 mSATA, with a 1TB HD backup
Windows 8.1 64bit
1920 x 1080p, 60Hz HD monitor.

My current issue is that I want to over clock my CPU, but I cannot seem to access it in my BIOS. It would seem that there is no option to do so....at all....I have a sh*tty BIOS. My question is, is there anything I can do to over clock my CPU now that my BIOS has been rendered as absolute garbage?? Please let me know!! Also, please let me know if my current setup will be viable(gaming wise) for the for-seeable future.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to get back to me. I know I'm new at this stuff and I'm trying to learn, and advice is greatly appreciated!!

That chip has a turbo of 3.9ghz. I cannot find anything stating your cpu has unlocked multiplier.

If this is a mobile platform, overclocking is out of the question.

And to answer the question on gaming... it should be ok.

That chip has a turbo of 3.9ghz. I cannot find anything stating your cpu has unlocked multiplier.

So, it boosts on it's own when it is needed? Is that what I'm understanding?? Thank you for the reply btw, I do appreciate it.

So, it boosts on it's own when it is needed? Is that what I'm understanding?? Thank you for the reply btw, I do appreciate it.

Yes, but not all the cores boost at the same time. They take turns. This is to keep heat to a minimum and also extends run time when on the battery.

Download and install XTU. You can bump your multipliers up to get a 400 MHz overclock. To do that you will also need to bump up the Watts and Amps.

I run my 4810MQ at:

42x, 41x, 40x and 40x on the multipliers
Turbo Boost Power Max and Turbo Short Term Power Max at 85w
Processor Current Limit at 71a
Turbo Boost Power Time Window: 128 seconds

Use that as a starting point. I tried to do this and undervolt to cut down on the heat, but no dice.
DO *not* touch the reference clock. Very few machines can stand to go even 0.5 MHz overclock there so leave it alone.

That GTX 880M is a heat beast as is the Haswell CPU. Take care with the cooling. You MUST monitor your temps while doing this. I discovered that my 230w power supply was not enough when pushing both the GPU and CPU while benchmarking. It shutdown the laptop (as in it turned off).

I have achieved 10k on 3DMark 11 with my Sager NP8278 in my sig after I got a 330w power brick.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8538785

Untrue statement here. You just have to be careful.

Back