• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BX440 Final Refit. PCI Divder Help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Akagi

A little background:

I currently own a Tekram P6B40-A4X (BX440 mobo) paired with a celeron 600 @ 1008 mhz.

I plan on doing a final upgrade on the machine with some more memory (top it off to 1 gig), an ide raid controller, and most importantly, a Celeron 1.1a @ 1463 with the 133mhz FSB.

I understand the mods necssary for this procedure.

The problem I have is that I don't know whether or not my motherboard supports the 1/4 pci divider. Anyone know? or know of any diagnostics I can do?

If only my MSI 6163 hadn't blown up... Probably caused by that 1 1/2 inch thick Delta 7k I had on there.

I usually do a google search on the internet and wade through a few product reviews to find out. If the mobo supports 133 FSB P-III CPUs, then it will have a 1/4 PCI divider.

As far as I know, all bx chipset boards could support the 1/4 pci divider. You might want to check your bios and see if you can find the option to change it. I know my Bx6 r2 has the option. Also keep in mind that at 133 your agp is going to be running out of spec at 89mhz (the bx only has a 2/3 divider for agp) so be sure your video card can handle that. Might be a good idea to wait and see if anyone here that has/had that board has to say about it.

Homicidal BoB said:
As far as I know, all bx chipset boards could support the 1/4 pci divider.

No sir...........my old BH6 certainly did not.
It depends on the age of the board. The earliest BX boards offered 133 FSB, but without the dividers to support it. You had to search long and hard to find hardware that could deal with the ridiculously high PCI speeds. Hence, until the introduction of the 1/4 dividers.......you rarely (if ever) saw anyone clocking over 124 FSB;)
The original BX6 had no 1/4 divider.........that's why they introduced the BX6r2 (I had one of these as well.........sweet board:) )

Yep, as my buddy Luta points out the early version of the Abit BH6 didn't have the 1/4 PCI divider (I had one too).

Ah the BX chipset, brings back good memories...:)

I had one of those BH6s as well, no 1/4 divisor like the others said. I also had an Asus P3B-F which did have the 1/4 divisor, but of course no 1/2 AGP divisor since the chipset didn't support that.

Anyway, doesn't Sandra report pci and agp speeds? I remember seeing this in there somewhere.

Captain Hilts said:
Ah the BX chipset, brings back good memories...:)

Anyway, doesn't Sandra report pci and agp speeds? I remember seeing this in there somewhere.

Yes, but, at times, very inaccurately. Besides.........if he were unable to boot, he'd not have PCI bus speed to report nor a running prog to report it ;)

Akagi,

Is your motherboard a slot-1? Cos 440BX does not support Tualatin core CPUs (1.1A is a Tualatin, isn't it?) - in that case you'd require a Powerleap converter.

Guys, am I wrong?

Z_oc said:
Akagi,

Is your motherboard a slot-1? Cos 440BX does not support Tualatin core CPUs (1.1A is a Tualatin, isn't it?) - in that case you'd require a Powerleap converter.

Guys, am I wrong?

Akagi said:
I understand the mods necssary for this procedure.

;)

Bh6...

With SS bios the board could give a 1/4 pci divider.
But it didn't show in the bios selection.

Back