• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HerculesL 3D Prophet AIW 9800 SE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShaunBrewer

This has the 256 bit-DDR memory interface

I am considering this card but am now confused - having read conflicting advice form vatious forums.

As this is the 256 bit interface am I right in thinking it should be a decent card and should outperform the 9600XT and if I am lucky 50% chance will softmod to the the 9800pro?

I don't need all the AIW features though VIVO is a big plus.

Thanks for any clarification

Shaun

Link to man website:

http://europe.hercules.com/showpage.php?p=88&b=1&f=1

Come on guys.

Everyone here seems to be knocking the 9800SE but on other forums the 9800SE (with the 256bit memory interface) is being praised.

I trust you guys - is the knocking just based on other models where you end up with the 128bit memory interface.

Thanks again

Shaun

Ive heard it performs about the same as a 9600 pro but can be softmodded to be a 9800 pro...if you buy it, buy it thinking it will be a little worse than a 9600 pro and you could get lucky

Twigs said:
Ive heard it performs about the same as a 9600 pro but can be softmodded to be a 9800 pro...if you buy it, buy it thinking it will be a little worse than a 9600 pro and you could get lucky

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the 128m/bit interface'd 9800SE

I have never heard of the hercules A-I-W card, but if it does really have the 256bit interface and not quad-pipe, then it would be a very decent card indeed! Non-pro 9800's out-perform 9600XT's if I'm not mistaken... and that's exactly what this would be

I am considering this card but am now confused - having read conflicting advice form vatious forums.

Don't be confused anymore :D

The Hercules AIW 9800se is indeed a 256-bit memory interface and like ProBoner stated....it will indeed outperform the 9600XT cards. I was faced with this very same decision recently see my post HERE.

I bought one and it did softmod successfully and it is now an AIW 9800PRO. I think you've got a little better than a 60% chance of it softmodding.

So good luck! :cool:

clock speeds are 380 core and 340 memory - but mmm - if u can softmod it to a 9800PRO then i may get one

Is this a garunteed softmod or?

Well - I will keep you posted.

Ordered today - had thought I would wait but 1 major vendor has dropped them and another now has a 5-6 week wait.

Worried that if I did not take the plunge I might miss out.

Anyway looks like I will get 9600pro/XT performance even if it does not softmod, and yes the 9600XT would then clock to be faster.

Given the prices in the UK the features with the 9800SE AIW make it a good buy.

Will keep you posted on my luck with the softmod.

Oh I saw one vendor (germany) offering 9800SE AIW (sapphire) pre-tested and a guarentee that they would softmod perfectly. There was a premium but still interesting.

Can't find the link at the moment if I find it again I will post.

Shaun

Okay, arrived today and I softmoded it.

Omega Drivers v2.4.96

Runs 3Dmark2001SE 16700 (as 9800SE 13821)

(Updated) 3DMark2003 5602 (as 9800SE 3776)

oh know these score are not great - not tuned for graphics yet

I ran the Artifact Tested 5.0 - zero artifacts is this reliable?

seemed okay when I watched 2001SE

keep you posted late in UK

Shaun

Last edited:
Nice buy! :D You say ???? for your modded '03 score. Is this just because you have not tested it yet?

CamH,

Yes kicked off 2003 test and went to bed - score updated.

I am a little(typical British understatment) :D happy - given I a not a hard core gamer just bought my self a few years of usability.

Just checked out Futuremark - comparison tables found a few 9800pros at default giving similar scores - so everything looks good.

Okay the card runs as the 9800PRO but I am still not certain I am not seeing any quality problems.

Anyone know if the Artifact tester is proof???

Thanks

Shaun

Back