• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monolith: A work in progress

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crazy Jayhawk

I started out with a Supercase (see my other thread for details) which isn't terribly expensive. My goal for this project was to see how well I could modify the case with low-cost parts. I quickly picked the name Monolith for it as this is a large, black, rectangular object of uncertain origin and purpose. :cool:

Supercase: $40
Car door molding: $3 for 54"
Gutter guard (for fan grills): About 5 bucks for a 6" x 20' roll
Faucet washers (for fan screws): About $.25 apiece at Ace Hardware
Spray paint: About $4 per can, and I think I've used about 5 cans.
Car ignition switch: $8-$14 (first cheaper one broke)
Blue LEDs: $3 apiece at Radioshack

The internal equipment was all ported over from my old case. These prices were not included in the tally.

Old view of the front with CD drives at the top. I still haven't painted the volume knobs since I can't find a good way to do it. :p

Back view. I've added a 92mm exhaust fan below and slightly to the right of the PSU fan, and it's the same style as the two 80's above it. Molding around the hole, gutter guard inside. Hard to see in this pic are the fan rheostat and back-mounted reset button. I hope to have to use the reset button as little as possible, and having it back there keeps me from accidentally hitting it.

It's a bit of a mess inside. :p This pic was taken after I installed the 92mm exhaust. It's partly obscured by the SCSI cable. The rheostat is located slightly below the fan, and you can see the wires from it moving right and up.

Good stuff, looks like a case you could bury a body in :p

How'd you build the car ignition starter, though?? I remember the post about it, last month, but I didn't think it would end up working! How do you start up and reset??

And the last one - the computer next to my desk with the top on and the drives relocated. That's someone else's USB HD on the desk - I was backing up files for him. :p

Check out the mods on my Supercase. Look at the 92mill on the back, to the right of the PS2 ports. Do this. It will knock some degrees of your CPU. It blows cool air from outside, right across the HSF. Use all of your top fans for exhaust.

Kingslayer said:
Check out the mods on my Supercase. Look at the 92mill on the back, to the right of the PS2 ports. Do this. It will knock some degrees of your CPU. It blows cool air from outside, right across the HSF. Use all of your top fans for exhaust.
I have a 92 in the exact same spot on mine. It doesn't show up in most of my pics since I installed it after most of these pictures were taken. It's an exhaust right now, but turning it around wouldn't be difficult.

There is one thing that I have added to my case for that fan by the PS-2 ports. And something that I have done recently.

If you are going to turn that fan around for intake, you will notice if you check real close that it is sucking hot air in from the PSU exhaust fan. This is bad. I riveted a metal flap below the PSU and bent it up to route the PSU exhaust air upwards so that the 92mm by the PS-2 ports wont draw that hot air in. It helped substantially.

Scope out what I mean.

Should have some more pictures in a few days. I've made some minor modifications.

Also, I'm seeing if a new reply will let me save the attached pics properly.

Re: Nice

flounder43 said:
I love the gutter gard used as fan grills. That is really cool

One suggestion, make your own rounded cables with some colored electrical tape...low cost, and would clear up that jungle of wires.

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/guides/rc/index.shtml
I tried rounding off my SCSI cable and it really screwed things up. I guess one of the wires broke or something like that. Second time in a row I've messed up a SCSI cable trying to round it. I managed to round a couple IDE cables and didn't have any trouble though.

Back