• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case painting (how to guide).

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My dad's been a painter for years and has done cars as well as houses and he had a trick which he uses when "orange peel" occurs. He takes a clean, lint-free towel and puts enough laquer thinner on it so that it doesn't drink but feels chemically wet; know what I mean? Any way, he then quickly and without hardly any pressure wipes it over the laquer work which releases the trapped moisture which is what orange peel is by chemically heating the paint back up. I think this would probably work for just about any oil-based product, but have never tried it on anything like this.

Would all those stages bee needed if i want to do a more flat color?

What i had in mind was this color..... (trying to to get the paint job details from the site that did it)

07.27.01case0081pic01.jpg

i can not tell if it is a metalic or flat - i assume a metalic paint...?

yeah it was done a weird wya - frankly too much for me to do it, may just got for a nice orange color to go with my BH7 and do a black interior - orange outside with mirrors in the case in some parts.

but not sure yet.

TJ9 said:
I am adding pinstripes and painting some game logos on the side of my case. But should I put the pinstripes over or under the clear coat? What is the best way to add the logos top the case?

i think under the clear coat so that they will be protected...

I have a chieftec aluminum case (care of alienware =\) and I was wondering what type of paint I could paint the inside. It is a yellow case and I think blue would work out pretty well on the inside, but I don't know how to go about doing it. I don't really know much about paint whatsoever

I painted my case following that guide perfectly, got the same paint, sandpaper, sanding block, and polish, and a couple days after I painted it, it started to crack. wtf?

btw doesnt matter, i don't really care cause it was an old case, but just a word of caution to everyone.

So what do you guys think about clear coating? This guy didn't use it for his solid black, but he did for the metallic. I just imagine that every time that you want to wax or polish the case, some more black paint will come off. Are there really any cons to putting on clear cotes other than price and time?

TerroH8er said:
I painted my case following that guide perfectly, got the same paint, sandpaper, sanding block, and polish, and a couple days after I painted it, it started to crack. wtf?

btw doesnt matter, i don't really care cause it was an old case, but just a word of caution to everyone.

Paint will usually crack if it's drys too fast, or if the panel is thin and flexes a lot.

So what do you guys think about clear coating? This guy didn't use it for his solid black, but he did for the metallic. I just imagine that every time that you want to wax or polish the case, some more black paint will come off. Are there really any cons to putting on clear cotes other than price and time?

Normally, solid colors aren't clear coated, only metal flake paint. I've never put a clear coat on a solid color before, so I don't really know what the effect will be.

Are there any similar guides around for painting plastic surfaces? I mean, are there any steps I should follow to get a good looking paint job on plastic panels?

i got a queston about rubbing compound. after applying it and rubbing it in, do you clean it with water or just go straight to the polish?

Back