• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI Tool doesn't detect my card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WiglyWorm

Everyone seems to say that ATItool should just be "start up and go", but it doesn't seem to detect much if anything about my card (8800gt), and when I click on one of the "find max" buttons, it gives me this error:

capturewc3.jpg

Core and mem frequency show as 0.00 and adjusting the sliders doesn't do much.

any help?

DO NOT USE FIND MAX!

Most people just use ATI Tool to stress test their card. The "scan for artifacts" button is great for this purpose. Don't pay attention to anything else in ATI Tool. Use RivaTuner to OC the card.

If you're still getting issues there may be other things to consider. I think VISTA has problems w/ ATI Tool, but I use XP for all my testing, and just use VISTA to play a few DX10 titles.

DO NOT USE FIND MAX!

Most people just use ATI Tool to stress test their card. The "scan for artifacts" button is great for this purpose. Don't pay attention to anything else in ATI Tool. Use RivaTuner to OC the card.

If you're still getting issues there may be other things to consider. I think VISTA has problems w/ ATI Tool, but I use XP for all my testing, and just use VISTA to play a few DX10 titles.

I'm curious as to why? With my 7900GS, the ati tool's auto find did a perfect match with the highest settings it could handle...

Ati Tool works with vista if you have the latest version.

I've read that the software doesn't properly detect the artifacts right (might only apply to 8 series), and can keep increasing clocks well beyond where it needs to go...possibly damaging the card. I guess if you sit there and watch it you'll be fine b/c you can stop it when you see artifacts, but I've just read it's bad, and am willing to trust other's reports on this issue, and not test it myself.

Might I have to boot in to vista pressing f8 to allow uncertified drivers?

Hearing that there's an issue is enough to keep me away until someone can confirm that there's not. I'll start using ntune again. How long should I go without artifacts at any given clock in order to confirm that it's stable?

I had RAM at 1000MHz for a long time never seeing any issues, but then a couple times I got some graphical slow down and BSODs pointing to video card RAM, so I guess it wasn't entirely stable.

No, not nTune...use RivaTuner for basically everything you do to modify the clocks/fan speed, and then just use ATI Tool's "scan for artifacts" button to test for stability. If you can't get ATI Tool to work in VISTA (and that's all you have to work with) then try the f8 trick. I press F8 almost every time I start VISTA (PITA). If it still doesn't work, then you'll have to use 3DMark or actual game use to test for stability.

I like to go for 15-20 min of ATI Tool artifact scanner w/ no artifacts. I'm usually there or very close to max clocks at that point. Sometimes I have to drop one of the sliders another notch if a game causes a problem.

Back