• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

**Official** Team Monkey Challenge Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just dump them now. We're far from 50k from the end, so it's not against the rules. Just make sure to slow down once we get near 450k (in case you have that many rigs)

well thats the prob most have not finshed their work units and as of now it looks like they will be done near the end of the race :(

my rigs/borgs/unofficial subteam is good for 300+ a day, the only thing is the heats got me up against a wall out here, and i had to pause me folding (96 today - no ac) and the other top two producers under my name are in a u-haul currently, somewhere out west. i would offer to help, but the only rig i have acess to would bite me if i tried folding with it. 'poligies monkies, weve needed a good race for a while now, and i havnt been in one since fishy/seven...
maybe next time 'round ?

orionlion82 said:
my rigs/borgs/unofficial subteam is good for 300+ a day, the only thing is the heats got me up against a wall out here, and i had to pause me folding (96 today - no ac) and the other top two producers under my name are in a u-haul currently, somewhere out west. i would offer to help, but the only rig i have acess to would bite me if i tried folding with it. 'poligies monkies, weve needed a good race for a while now, and i havnt been in one since fishy/seven...
maybe next time 'round ?
Don't worry about it man, thanks for the thought....Yes, there will be a next time, so you will have your chance :thup:

About these rules and such...I think if there is a legitimate reason (such as rpkole's) than the rule can be bent...I'd like some thoughts on this from blondie and everyone else before I bring it up "officially".

Rpkole said:
the reason i ask is cause i have a few TT rigs that have batches and each batch is worth 2400+ points so if it is a hour then i cant dump more than 2 rig in one hour which is fine by me but if it is every 3 hours it sucks big time

Then why save up? Send what you have and let the last group send in when they're done.. this was the whole point of the rule, to prevent people from saving up batches of WUs just to turn in the finished at the end to give a large boost at the very end. Several machines (say 4) at 2500 points each is 10,000 points, if there are several on the team that are doing this then that could mean an extra 30,000-50,000 points in one day simply because of the excuse "well they weren't done with their batches". Turn them in when they finish and don't save up, plain and simple. This is also Stanford's ruling on the subject (remember the whole Dutch Power Cows incident where several individuals got ther points zeroed out for doing this exact thing, many did this with timeless only as well).
Not a conspiracy theory but this is a race for production. If either team will not go along with this rule then it simply says that they have knowledge of one or more people doing this for their team.

Again, there are outside sources in positions of power watching both teams so if there is a jump of say 40,000 points (on top of existing production) in one day without reasonable increase of reporting cpus that day then obviously there is serious withholding and can be subject to points zeroed out, possibly before the contest even ends.

My position is stated and an unofficial warning has been posted.

edit: making an exception for one or two leaves room for abuse. Don't do it at all or if you do and are caught then your team loses. This goes for both teams. The 5000 point jump rule goes for THE ENTIRE DAY. No more than a 5000 point jump for the day within the last 50,000 points of the race. Dump what you got and fold what you get ONE BY ONE, not batches. No excuses, no exemptions.

2500 point dump every 3 hours = 20,000 extra points per day
3 people doing this = 60,000 extra points for the day on top of existing production.

Several people timing a points dump for 60,000 points when there is 52,000 left for your team to go (outside of the 50,000 point rule but for the win) also qualifies for automatic disqualification.

THIS is why this rule need to be in place and enforced.

Last edited:
well guys some of yall may remember that 3.2 P4 that i got for free cause it had bent and missing pins well i got them fixed and it works :eek: :eek: and is now FOLDING for the monkeys :D

here is a pic i took while working on it the red dots are the missing pins that i had to fix :mad:

cpufix3sd.jpg

WarriorII said:
Missing pins?!?!?!?!?

Cool.

How'd ya fix it?

well if you look in the pic the top 3 missing pins have their new ones soldered on i used a single strand of speaker wire for the pin and then cliped it off with finger nail clippers and so far it is working great and i used a old harddrive that i had and it had folding on it with a 508 point WU that was half done :eek: that i did not know about

That's great work, Rp! (Even if you are folding for the wrong monkey's) :p

Re: the rules for the Great Chimp Challenge -
I'd recommend NOT having any "anti-dumping" rule, because:

1) It sounds like whiny sour grapes from whoever loses.
2) It's a strategy that both teams can use, in accordance with Stanford

And don't bring up the "Dutch Cows" episode. A sad tale of an al retentive moderator who had his hairnet wound up too tight, too long.

Why would Stanford care if a Timeless Tinker was delayed by an average of 3 days? They are TIMELESS WU's, after all. (and the net result of the contest will surely be that MORE WU's will be turned in, which is a GOOD thing, not something to whine about.)

3) The prospect of an avalanche of points right at the end, adds a lot of suspense and excitement to the race - for BOTH teams, and all the spectators, as well.

If a runner or a sub team, has the heart to sprint at the end of his race - why would you want to stop it? That could very well be the MOST exciting part of the whole race!

I'm sure the both monkey teams have folders working on TTinkers, which they will try to have finish up and return them to Stanford just before the end of the race.

Great! That only enhances the sporting spirit of the race. If one side can dump a big 50,000 points of TTinkers right at the end - Good on 'em!

If you think about it, you know that a team can NOT come out ahead by holding back a load of WU's for more than a few days, anyway. It would just decrease the number of WU's that could be folded, in total.

Please keep the race as "unregulated" as possible. It's not for money or blood, and Stanford gets the MOST when both teams are given the freedom to improvise, and the fun is kept intact. Isn't this the WHOLE IDEA behind the points? I believe it is!

(Remember when the folding_monkeys raced against the Vietnam Global sub-team, and the monkey's were all worried about a dump of points right at the end? That was exciting AND fun!)

Note: I don't fold currently for either monkey team, but I do fold for MaxPC, and have folded in the past for T32.

Good luck to both teams!

Adak

Screwballl said:
Then why save up? Send what you have and let the last group send in when they're done.. this was the whole point of the rule, to prevent people from saving up batches of WUs just to turn in the finished at the end to give a large boost at the very end. Several machines (say 4) at 2500 points each is 10,000 points, if there are several on the team that are doing this then that could mean an extra 30,000-50,000 points in one day simply because of the excuse "well they weren't done with their batches".
He's not "saving them up"...he's going to make a trip to office depot when they are done...otherwise he'd be making trips every day. and they're TT's for god's sake

Leave the rules just as they are, fold with all you have got, and have a little fun here. All the whining about the rules is getting old and bringing my buzz down.

Now back to regularly scheduled programming.

I really think the saving and dumping of wu's discussion is all much ado about nothing. AFAIK, both teams are made up of responsible folders. This is just a symptom of a hot competition :)

Fold on all :thup:

Rpkole said:
well guys some of yall may remember that 3.2 P4 that i got for free cause it had bent and missing pins well i got them fixed and it works :eek: :eek: and is now FOLDING for the monkeys :D

Pretty sweet! Never say die! When the going gets tough, the tough get soldering! Excellent job! :)

Macaholic said:
Pretty sweet! Never say die! When the going gets tough, the tough get soldering! Excellent job! :)

thank you

also guys the other monkeys are pulling away even more :eek: so far today us = 7469 , and them = 16410 and that is just for 6 hours of today :eek: so every one i want yall to go out and borg and use force if need be

Macaholic said:
That's some real dedication! We need to have a position for that (like most dedicated member of the race or something)..I'm nominating RPKole...We'll have to figure out an official name for it after the race is over :beer:

BTW mac, that's a friggin' hilarious picture! :D :D

the garynator said:
That's some real dedication! We need to have a position for that (like most dedicated member of the race or something)..I'm nominating RPKole...We'll have to figure out an official name for it after the race is over

Looks like a "Most Evolved Tool Use" award to me! Might also want to consider "Most Valuable Primate" or MVP! Consider as well the appealing "Slippery Banana" award for the WU or borg that got away! Just a few ideas. Now to come up with the trophies. Hmmmmmmm. ;)

Back