• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte RMA and how customer un-friendly they are

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

Telll me, have you guys had any problems with RMA's of video cards to Gigabyte? My card dies 2 days before the warranty expired, and they were vey hesitant to even issue an RMA. Not to my surprise, they rejected the card and voided the warranty due to oxidation on the card. I've seen this oxidation on tons of stuff, and had no problems with RMA's with other companies...but Gigabyte won replce or repair the card and I think its ridiculous. Please tell me the good and bad stories you've had with Gigagbyte.

Here is why they rejected my claim:
2qcqfjn.jpg

Last edited:
They rejected the card due to...oxidation? They do realize many metals tend to oxidize when exposed to oxygen, right? That has got to be one of the dumbest warranty rejection reasons I've heard...

Oxidation isn't normal in an electronics environment. Only prolonged exposure to water or it's phases could cause this.

What is your working environment like? Was there a water block involved?

Uh, yeah...it's called humidity, and keeping electronics in a 0% humidity is just as bad due to static buildup.

Think about it: this is a video card. It heats up making any moisture vaporize and be carried away by system ventilation. If the computer is only used sporadically humidity will take it's toll, yes. But with regular usage there shouldn't be any oxidation issues; the ions don't have the opportunity to catalyze. Something about this story is untold.

That's true, I'm just basing it on I've seen mild oxidation on some parts (mainly on heatsinks), but then again I haven't run a system 24/7 in a long time, so there is time for potential condensation at some level. I dunno, hope you get it sorted out HeatM1ser2k4

I'm not sure what's missing or suspicious. I use it for gaming. I did replace the TIM on the GPU with Arctic Silver 3 years ago. I mainly game on my laptop since I can be gone from how for up to 2 weeks at a time...but I still use the desktop at least once a week (on average..some weeks 3 or 4 times and then wont use it again for 2 weeks)

This is pretty standard and nearly every support will reject something like this. Usually computer parts look like that when there is some moisture and short causes to raise temp/faster vaporize. It looks almost the same when you have any leak in water cooling and water is dropping on the graphics card or mobo.
You could clean it with high % alcohol before RMA. They wouldn't notice anything but now they have it in their database with RMA history.

So far every Gigabyte RMA that I made ( from my personal stuff ) was because of dead BIOS or power section. If they can fix something then it's pretty quick.

Back