• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VMWare VM size out of control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOKEU

I have a thinly provisioned Windows 7 VM with an 80GB virtual HDD. I then added a thinly provisioned 100GB virtual drive. The size of the VM then swelled to over 200GB, so I deleted the 100GB virtual drive, uninstalled any unnecessary apps, did a disk cleanup, removed all snapshots, and the size of the VM is still well over 200GB (it still keeps growing on its own). From inside the VM, only around 40GB of space is being taken up, so what is using the rest of that space and how can I make it smaller?

I'm using VMWare Workstation 9.

Well that's it then. When you set it to dynamic, VMware will allocate space as it needed. Set it to fixed 100GB and that will do what you want.

But what is actually using all that space? The used space that the VM OS says is not even 1/4 of the used disk space.

So I might have to delete the VM and start again with a fixed disk. Thanks guys.

Back