• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Razerr

Hey, first post and whatnot, but I am a bit stumped..

Current specs:
CPU: AMD 3700+
GPU: Nvidia 7800GTX
RAM: 2GB DDR1 ":rolleyes:"
Mobo: Some old S939 one
PSU: 600w Jeantech
HDD: 80gb

I had this PC built for me by a relative just over 3 years ago, for a very limited budget of £150, and he supplied most of the parts (namely Mobo+GPU)

I would like to upgrade to something "future proof" (last me more than 2 years), like my current spec has.

I'd like to have a Intel CPU, preferably S1366 (i7) + DDR3.
Along side this, I'd like to have a 275GTX. Other than that, I am easy.

My budget, I am presuming to be around £500-600, but I can easily save up for a bit longer if needed.

Could anyone give me some suggestions?

I would like to use Scan, as they offer installation insurance - this will be my first full build, so I'd like that bit of security saying if I mess up, I won't be left hanging in the dark.

(Have only edited PCI+PCI-E + Ram Slots before)

Check this list out, Some parts arn't in stock and you could maybe save a little by cutting back on the PSU (Not recommended), mobo etc But I think I would rather save up a little and get all this.

Untitled-8.jpg

I would have rather got a Western Digital black but can't couldn't see any on scan WTF?? Also I'm guessing you already have a Full ATX case?? I would also advise you to get a decent CPU cooler.

Oh, and Welcome :welcome: to O/C Forums

Ok let's use exchange rate of 1pound-1.6USD.
Not sure where you're shopping, but you can use these newegg links for reference if you want. And I know that things can get quite inflated over there, but this is as good as I can do.
CPU
I7-920 ~$280 (cheaper if you shop around maybe)
MOBO
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P - ~$260
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 - ~$288
Asus P6T Deluxe V2 - ~$289
Foxconn BloodRage- ~$260
RAM
G.SKILL PI Black 6GB - ~$200
G.SKILL Trident 6GB - ~$170
Kingston HyperX 6GB - ~$180
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB - ~$190
Mushkin 6GB - ~$150 (Good Value)
OCZ Platinum 6GB - ~$125 (Good Value)

I'm not sure where you're shopping or where you're from, but you're looking at roughly$650-700USD + Shipping for CPU/BOARD/RAM. Maybe ~$425pounds.
After that, put a good amount towards the PSU. Something like a Corsair TX series, or one of the new BFG's. Do a bit of research, but something in the 650-750W (50-60Amp12v) range should do you and leave you a good amount of headroom.
case, HDD's and Optical I really have no comment on.

EDIT:
I would also advise you to get a decent CPU cooler.
This guy posted while I was writing mine. But this is good advice. Go have a look at some reviews and see what's good. I use a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme on my 920 and I love it.

Last edited:
CPU cooler - How is the Zalman series?

Zalman Super Aero

My brother uses one, and swears by it.

It was either that or an Akasa -

Akasa

EDIT:

Also: I would be primarily gaming on this PC, and have read quite a few reviews saying that the performance increase on the i7 mainly comes with multi-gpu setups, and at stock speeds with single GPU's, the difference is a few FPS at most.

amd1.png

That setup is about £120 cheaper, and has the same setup.

I would like a i7 however, as that means if I chose to go SLI, then I will feel the benefits a bit more.

Any opinions?

Last edited:
I will not knock the 45nm 775's or the phenom II quads, but I think if you switched to i7 you would see performance increases accross the board. Some noticeable, some not, but definitely a better way to future proof yourself(if that can really be done).

well you will need different ram for the AMD setup but other then that looks sweet

Remember hearing something about that.

I decided I'd wait until I paid to see how much I will actually have to spend.

I will probably start building in Sept. Shortly after my bday:bday:

Back