• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 very slow load when rebooted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

This has got me stumped. Toshiba laptop with AMD quad mobile CPU and Windows 8.

Windows takes forever to load to the log on screen when rebooting. It gets to the screen where there is a four blue rectangle mosaic with the little semicircular whirly gig thing slowly spinning around and stays there for five minutes I bet.

If I do a startup from a complete shutdown, however, it all loads very quickly.

Check your BIOS, and look for any ACPI-related options. If there's a standby option that has a bunch of "S<some-number>" options, make sure it doesn't say S4. S4 is suspend-to-disk (a.k.a. hibernate), and can be very slow both to save and restore RAM contents. S3 is best, as everything is turned off or in low power, but it uses RAM so it is still very quick.

Check your BIOS, and look for any ACPI-related options. If there's a standby option that has a bunch of "S<some-number>" options, make sure it doesn't say S4. S4 is suspend-to-disk (a.k.a. hibernate), and can be very slow both to save and restore RAM contents. S3 is best, as everything is turned off or in low power, but it uses RAM so it is still very quick.

Checked. Not the problem.

Back