• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD or nVidia

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i6pwr

I'm torm between the EVGA gtx 560 and an AND driven 6870 or 6970. with my system specs, is there any benefit with the AMD cards over the nVidia?

I looked at the BE 6870 but feel the 560ti takes it.

Figure it's just one last road I need to travel before I make my decision, I know I lose the CUDA's with one but I would say 60% would be AVCHD editing/rendering, rest browsing and gaming but I want a strong gaming card mainly for what games are offered now.

I'm not sure anyone will do me any injustice, just looking for the better, more efficient card.

My budget is $150-200 but can splurge slightly.

Monitor resolution is 1680x1050.

I would grab a reference 6950 and unlock shaders/Overclock...

At this price range both NVidia and ATI are good gaming cards, and playing 1680x1050will be overkill anyway!

At this price range both NVidia and ATI are good gaming cards, and playing 1680x1050will be overkill anyway!

+1. Exactly what I was going to say...

Many of the non-reference cards flash too, just check around first :)

Wanted to add I was referring to the Ti version of the 560, not superclocked.

IMO you wouldn't get enough performance out of the 6870, especially for video rendering. If you decide on AMD then a reference 2GB 6950 is the way to go so you can unlock to 6970 performance.

If you're going to be doing that much video rendering then nVidia's CUDA will serve you well. You'd pump out a couple more FPS with AMD, but that's honestly something you won't notice during game play. The 560Ti will visibly play just as smoothly as the 6950. But you will get a noticeable difference using the 560Ti during rendering.

Hey now, this is overclockers.com. Let alone, future proof with a constant 60+ fps for a year+ is great for gaming.

Back