• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Brand PSU is in the tops these Days

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Thermaltake SMART 430w is decent. I wouldn't call it a fantastic PSU but it stays within spec and coughed up it's rated wattage for me.

I'd take the corsair 430w over it though.

I still stand by the Silverstone Strider Essential 500W, unbeatable for the price. It's as low as I'll go.

Not a single post from the OP after the initial one..... I wonder if he remembers he's posted anything here.....

Well this is weird - The super flower website indicated Directron was one of (3) US Re-Sellers on Wednesday. I double checked that same page today, and there are NO US Re-sellers listed? I called Directron, and they were not even familiar with the brand.

Does anyone know of a place to get Super Flower PSU's in the USA? :cool:

Well this is weird - The super flower website indicated Directron was one of (3) US Re-Sellers on Wednesday. I double checked that same page today, and there are NO US Re-sellers listed? I called Directron, and they were not even familiar with the brand.

Does anyone know of a place to get Super Flower PSU's in the USA? :cool:

I'm reasonably certain the SauperFlower are not actually sold in the US unless you look at one of the rebadged units like the NZXT Hale90 or the Kingwin Lazer Gold series.

See here for Kingwin Lazer Gold: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...656&isNodeId=1&Description=lazer+gold&x=0&y=0
See here for NZXT Hale90: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...100006656&isNodeId=1&Description=hale&x=0&y=0

The NZXT PSU's are a great choice if you have a white case. There aren't many white PSU's to choose from.

They're all 80+ Gold certified PSU's as they're based on the SuperFlower Golden Green series of PSU's. All top quality, high efficiency and very quiet. Just like Kingmax Memory, you can only buy SuperFlower branded units in Asia or Australia, however in the US they do make units for other manufacturers. They're an OEM, as such if you can get them under the SuperFlower brand you generally can buy them cheaper than the rebadged units. It's one of those rare cases where the US miss out and those of us in Australia are better off.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed reply, mjw21a!

I'm after a 400-450Watt PSU of this same insane build quality (and that is still overkill for my application - a 350Watt is plenty). It seems most of the ones you mention start around 600-750Watts and go up. Does Super Flower OEM any of their lower wattage PSU's that you know of?

Thanks again :cool:

For insane build quality and low wattage check out the jonnyguru reviews on the fanless Gold units.

Thanks Bobnova. My one concern was that I actually wanted a fan to help with case ventillation (only have a single 92mm exhaust fan - and this PC might see some rather hot stage temperatures) - otherwise I'd probably go with the Seasonic passive one and call it a day :)

I'll look for some jonnyguru reviews on low-wattage actively-cooled PSU's. Cost is not a factor - Bullet-proof reliability and longevity and a descent hold-up time are paramount...

Thanks again :cool:

You can always slap a fan on it if you want :D

I'll do some looking around given those parameters, I know at least one 500w Gold unit has been seen.

Well, if it gets your seal of approval - then it seems like the one to buy. I was slightly worried about horrible efficiency from these higher-wattage PSU's running below 50% rated power (as the system in hand will be sipping power from a 500Watt PSU) - but they mentioned 92% efficiency below 50% load! Wow!!! Not that I really care a whole lot about efficiency with this particular PC (my other Desktops, sure) - but why create a bunch of extra heat if you don't have to :)

Thanks Bobnova - You rock :attn:

84% at 56w is pretty spectacular! By 100w it's >90. Don't think that's likely to be beaten!

Is there an adapter to change a 4 pin to 8 ?

Is there an adapter to change a 4 pin to 8 The psu was damaged in shipping and haad tobe returned . I have another Antec here that is 400 Watts but has the 4 pin connecter for 12 volt rail.
If there is name a good brand because I cant wait for the PSU to come back I want to yest my cpu in new board.

Ya the kingwin LZP. What a psu lol. Alternatively there's also the Enermax Modu 87+ 500w. Aka the Lepa G 500w. Partially modular. Quiet. Does gold and platinum at some loadings. Also a nice unit. Though the lzp is better :p.

Ya the kingwin LZP. What a psu lol. Alternatively there's also the Enermax Modu 87+ 500w. Aka the Lepa G 500w. Partially modular. Quiet. Does gold and platinum at some loadings. Also a nice unit. Though the lzp is better :p.

Yup, it's a Superflower made unit so can't really go wrong with it.

What is the point in having 2 EPS12V connections, I see Johnny guru stressing that on the CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 PSU ?

Back