• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bringing the Pentium-M to the desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well i have been reading on my motherboard, and it seems you can't change the multiplier on it with P-M's :(

So I highly recommend not purchasing a P4C800 non E board for dothans. I am likely now going to buy a P4P800SE now :(, $150 down the drain.

you do know that your board can use P4C800e-d bios? or even a P4P800SE bios? read some xtremesys forums on how to flash it or dig around this one.

lowfat said:
Well i have been reading on my motherboard, and it seems you can't change the multiplier on it with P-M's :(

So I highly recommend not purchasing a P4C800 non E board for dothans. I am likely now going to buy a P4P800SE now :(, $150 down the drain.

Try flashing it with the -e (dlx) bios. Will work very likely.

Added another submission by Galileo :) These 740 chips are doing well :drool: might want to get me one for christmas.

Also: Sticky up for three and a half months already!

sjaak, i don't know if you want to edit my entry in your list or not. my 740 @ 210x13 @ 1.475v is not completely stable. prime lasted 11 hours but gta:sa crashes within minutes. :p

now running at just 201x13 @ 1.45v. prime/game stable. :)

dzendrowska post a few more details about your rig, such as mobo graphics card etc etc.

Also, you can bump the vcore up some if your temps are ok, that should get you stable at 210 :). Or Try dropping the multi to 10 and do 260.

Scott.

Jimbob7 said:
dzendrowska post a few more details about your rig, such as mobo graphics card etc etc.

Also, you can bump the vcore up some if your temps are ok, that should get you stable at 210 :).

i went upto 1.525 and it was still not stable at 210x13. and i was getting to 60c under load using s&m. i didn't think it was worth chucking more volts at it for such negligible performance increases. as for the hardware, that's back in my original post here

Jimbob7 said:
Or Try dropping the multi to 10 and do 260.

Scott.

rofl. i only have geil value. i must admit i haven't seen how far i can get with that.... 220 if i'm lucky. :p

dzendrowska said:
i went upto 1.525 and it was still not stable at 210x13. and i was getting to 60c under load using s&m. i didn't think it was worth chucking more volts at it for such negligible performance increases. as for the hardware, that's back in my original post here

rofl. i only have geil value. i must admit i haven't seen how far i can get with that.... 220 if i'm lucky. :p

Just run a lower ratio, 5:4 or even 3:2, i'm running 3:2 that still gives me 196 and a killer fsb.:D Give it a try :).

Scott.

Jimbob7 said:
Just run a lower ratio, 5:4 or even 3:2, i'm running 3:2 that still gives me 196 and a killer fsb.:D Give it a try :).

Scott.

was thinking about running a divider but can't be bothered to do all the benchies under both setups to see if it's worth it.... :p

i've found that the max my crap ram likes is indeed 220 so that's what i'm running now - 220x12=2640, 1:1, 1.45v :)

if i want to crank the fsb, i'll wait until i get some decent ram that'll do tight timings to go with it.

finally got around to buying a floppy drive to do some bios flashing..Flashed it to a P4C800-E Deluxe 1023ed bios and to say i am very impressed :)

Using 1.6V i was able to reach 2757MHz, wasn't very stable but 1M superpi stable, got 27.8 second superpi :) and this is on stock air, as my pump died.

Hope to get it a bit better, but i am having troubles getting the DDR booster to work.

Crap.

So I got my new dothan 730 and my ct-479 today...

I already had the 1009.004 bios for my p4p800se

I plugged it in, with stock cooler, and it ran fine: booted, did a few benchies and surfed the net...but the temps were a bit too hot for my taste...

I mod the ct-479, bend the power pins down, and soldered the jumpers like sjaak did (exactly so)

I mount my cnps7000, and

it won't boot :bang head

i have no freaking idea what's wrong, the ct-479 looks fine (traces look perfect), the power connector is on the right way, the zalman 7000 is touching the die just the right amount, i have a shim and my die looks pristine, etc etc etc.

HELP!

Check everything for hardware damage, are the pins of the adapter all fine?

Try the board with a P4 again, reset the bios. (battery out for 60secs)

i'll try plugging in my p4 tonight; i've already tried resetting my bios

i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be my mobo, as it was working fine and i didn't touch it

the pins are all aligned and it looks normal with the naked eye....bleh

Lat said:
So I got my new dothan 730 and my ct-479 today...

I already had the 1009.004 bios for my p4p800se

I plugged it in, with stock cooler, and it ran fine: booted, did a few benchies and surfed the net...but the temps were a bit too hot for my taste...

I mod the ct-479, bend the power pins down, and soldered the jumpers like sjaak did (exactly so)

I mount my cnps7000, and

it won't boot :bang head

i have no freaking idea what's wrong, the ct-479 looks fine (traces look perfect), the power connector is on the right way, the zalman 7000 is touching the die just the right amount, i have a shim and my die looks pristine, etc etc etc.

HELP!

I had almost the same problems. booted it on air, worked fine, put the waterblock on it, didn't boot. Don't know why but as soon as i pulled the usb devices out, worked fine :shrug:

Lat said:
i'll try plugging in my p4 tonight; i've already tried resetting my bios

i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be my mobo, as it was working fine and i didn't touch it

the pins are all aligned and it looks normal with the naked eye....bleh

well if you messed up the power pin it's easy to tell if the chip is getting power. This may sound like a bad idea, but it will give you the answer. If you disconnect the floppy adapter the chip does not get power. Boot up and put a temp probe on your chip. If it gets hot, then you did not mess up the floppy power connector and thus you have another problem. If you disconnect the floppy adapter you won't get a boot and the chip will not get hot.

lowfat said:
I had almost the same problems. booted it on air, worked fine, put the waterblock on it, didn't boot. Don't know why but as soon as i pulled the usb devices out, worked fine :shrug:
i just have power, vga, and keyboard connected

datura3 said:
well if you messed up the power pin it's easy to tell if the chip is getting power. This may sound like a bad idea, but it will give you the answer. If you disconnect the floppy adapter the chip does not get power. Boot up and put a temp probe on your chip. If it gets hot, then you did not mess up the floppy power connector and thus you have another problem. If you disconnect the floppy adapter you won't get a boot and the chip will not get hot.
maybe that's the problem...i felt my heatsink and it didn't even get warm (i don't have a temp probe to play with)

what can i do about it if my floppy power connector is messed up?
(i did have to tug REALLY hard to get off the plastic fitter piece)

Chip: 750 1.86GHz
Motherboard: P4P800 DLX (P4C800-E Deluxe 1023ed bios)
RAM: 2x512MB OCZ PC3200 Gold VX
Videocard: XFX 6800nu 128mb
Cooling: CT479 Stock
Current Speed: 2722MHz
Max FSB / CPU clock: 230FSB / 2722MHz
Current Voltage: 1.6V
S-code / stepping / pack date: SL7S9 / B1 / ??

Back