• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temps so high you will cringe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prankstar008

About a year ago I built a computer for my grandpa. He has had no problems with it. I came to visit him and noticed that he moved the computer into a very small cabinet with no ventillation. This alarmed me so I checked his temps. They were 60 degrees C while idleing in the BIOS and peaked at 76 degrees C while under a very small load (internet and photoshop)!!!!! After explaining to my grandpa the situation (which he completly understood given his engineering backround) he had a mild heart attack (i think). I promised him I would get things under control. This morning I re-seated the heatsink and applied new thermal grease which I thought would take a degree or two off but much to my surprise, the computer still temped at 61C idle with the side panel off and removed from the cabinet. I've built countless machines and am confident in my ability to correctly apply thermal grease and seat a heatsink so I know that isn't the problem. Oddly enough, the heatsink (which is the stock AMD heatsink) feels cold to the touch. Seeing as how this is the case, do you think that my temp sensor is just reading abnormaly high? I am using speedfan to read the temps. And don't worry, as soon as I figure this out, I will advise him to move the computer to a more ventillated location.

SPECS
AMD Athlon 64 2800+ don't remember the core but its socket 754
Abit KV8 Pro
Its in a nice antec case with a 120mm venting in the back and an antec psu venting with 2 80mm fans.
Stock AMD HSF and generic "silver" thermal goop

Thanks I appriciate any advise

probly a 130nm clawhammer.

if the stock hsf at full load dosent melt a hole in your hand then that mobo is giveing messed up readin.s did you try useing coretemp? what version is the bios and is there a new bios update for it?

download and run Coretemp and see what that is reading.

yea I don't know why I didn't check for a BIOS update. I had version 19 and version 21 fixes a "temp reading problem" which dropped my temps to 30 idle...thanks

haha yea now that his temps are down he will be able to make his 7:30 tee time tomorrow morning without dying/losing sleep

Back