• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E2180 or E2140 or E4500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wait until January. Celeron Dual cores come out.

The dual core Cellies are unimpressive because they are going to be just ~$10 less than the equivalent speed dual core Pentium e2xxx. Might as well pay a few bucks for the cache when the price difference is that small.

Same here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=537377

My Neo2-FR was a cakawalk up to 400 fsb, ever since it's been a nightmare.

Maybe a FSB wall on the CPU holding it back rather than the board?

that would be the lowest fsb wall ever on a cpu of the E6550. saying the cpu is walling at 400mhz is hard to believe. my celeron-l fsb walls at 415mhz, my E6400 walls at 480fsb. the E6550 should be in the 480-500 range for a fsb wall not 400mhz.

'maybe' :p Just throwing possibilities out there, even if that one is unlikely. The only way to know for sure is try the CPU on another mobo but (and I know you stated your reservation about this in another thread) a few review sites have had that board above 400FSB and within a few MHz FSB of other boards with the same CPU. The MSI does seem a little odd with the memory timing things after reading the anandtech review, which is not a site that is likely to pull back from saying something negative, and for a max oc board the DS3R may be a slightly better choice but counting the post-MIR price of the MSI it's $40 more. *nevermind, the MIR looks to have expired at least at Newegg, ClubIT still has a rebate on it. :shrug: I guess it depends on what you're after, absolute max or pretty darn good.

Last edited:
there are 2 budget p35 boards I would buy, one of which I now own,

Abit IP35E I think?

and the P35-DS3L

Both are solid and member tested here.

only problem with those 2 boards is that they dont have the features that i want in the mobo that...i want raid0, and xfire...and not jsut one of them i want both... and i only have 130 to get me all those features...so i went with the msi neo2-fr...i got it for 125 plus a 30 mir so in the end it will only cost me $95...not bad for all the features it comes with...and i have links of numorous ppl getting the fsb above 550 fsb no problems straight out of the box...so i know it can o/c somewat...im happy with 550fsb for the price and seeing that i get xfire and raid is wat i wanted..and i also like the heat pipe design to keep the nb and sb cool..solid state capacitors and a push button cmos reset that dont set everything back to default...just the settings u adjusted b4 the fault...well if i get out of it wat i see on other forums and sites i think i'll be way more then happy for a $95 board with all the features i was looking for...thank you everyone for your suggestions....

i'll prolly be needin your help soon to play with the board some....this is my first dual core and intel chipset of my own...so i'll prolly need help with the bios o/cing stuff...lets see what this rig can do...what programs should i download and use to test my o/cs?...thanks again guys :)

chrome, don't worry if others ideas are different from what you ended up doing, as long as it does what you need. Given the strict requirements of RAID, Crossfire plus price you really didn't have any other choice. It may not be quite as good in the pure oc'ing department as other boards, although it could be, but if it has thefeatures you wanted that's what matters even if you give up a few MHz max CPU speed. Besides which with a 9x multi e4300 you're not going to need a lot more than 400MHz FSB with air cooling.

Last edited:
chrome, don't worry if others ideas are different from what you ended up doing, as long as it does what you need. Given the strict requirements of RAID, Crossfire plus price you really didn't have any other choice. It may not be quite as good in the pure oc'ing department as other boards, although it could be, but if it has thefeatures you wanted that's what matters even if you give up a few MHz max CPU speed. Besides which with a 9x muli e4300 you're not going to need a lot more than 400MHz FSB with air cooling.

thx...u help made me feel better :) i saw not alot of ppl had that board here but on other forums i've seen some really good results with it...so i figured for the price and the features that i wanted it was a good choice...and it supports the new yorkys so hey :) well it should be here this week with my cpu, hard drives and video card...then get it together and go from there...hopefully all is good, i'll def be letting you know...and if i need help with the o/c hopefully i can get some pointers here

so as far as the E4300 400 fsb is about as high as it will go?

Not necessarily that the CPU is FSB limited but the fact that 9x400=3.6GHz which is arounnd the upper end of what most B2 and L2 stepping C2Ds will do for air-cooled 24/7 true stable operation.

if you get the e2200 aslong as you have a board that is rated for 333fsb then you can up the voltage and overclock the cpu without overclocking any other components and if the cpu is limiting you then just drop the multiplier. i have seen core 2 duo's with a fsb wall as low as 356fsb so the higher the multi the less chance a fsb wall is going to hold you back

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/08/dual_vs_quad/page41.html
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=1754798 <--go to this forum gillbot they should be able to help you with your problem..these are msi neo2 users taht get 550 fsb easy no problem...

and as u can see in the first link they prefer the msi over the gigabyte..
if you check out those two links you will see that the msi rocks and does well over 400 EZ. dunno whats up with yours, sounds like a hardware problem maybe...what i dont like about the ip35 is the bios jumper is the old style and it dont support crossfire...i prefer abit because i've had pretty good success with them but with these boards side by side...it seems like a no brainer...MSI check the links they are the MSI o/ced past 400 mhz no problem

The dual core Cellies are unimpressive because they are going to be just ~$10 less than the equivalent speed dual core Pentium e2xxx. Might as well pay a few bucks for the cache when the price difference is that small.

I have no idea what is causing it to hit a wall. I've tried everything I can find. If I turn the CPU down to 333 fsb and crank the divider causing my ram to run at 833 it won't post. Something is screwed up and will NOT let me get past 400fsb at all but all the usual tricks to determine the exact component have proved fruitless.

400fsb and 1:1 for ram = 2800MHz CPU and 800MHz ram, runs perfect. 401 and 1:1 for ram = no post.

333fsb for cpu and 1:1.25 for ram = 2333MHz cpu and 833MHz for ram, no post.

Sadly I don't have a lower divider to run the CPU faster than the ram since 1:1 is the lowest. I've also tried the 200, 266 and 333 boot straps, they make zero difference.

I went for the 4500 myself. They way I see it, its all the luck of the draw as far as OC'ing goes so basically get whatever you can afford.

yep...i actually went with the e4300 cuz i got a good price on it...but if i had to buy it retail i was goin with the e4500...good buy imo...get us buy til next year when intel releases there new socket and quad core cpus...

Back