• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Top 5 Best Games of 2000 - 08

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The days of Half Life, Thief, Fallout, Monkey Island/Fandango, Hero's/Police/Space/Quest are all over. So the only way you will ever be able to experience the best gaming in your life is to play those games.

Oh, in my infinite wisdom I almost forgot to mention the ONE exception: Lord of the Rings Online.

I agree with almost everything, but LOTRO ehe I dunno. The days of true PC gaming is over, its mostly ports from either console or made to be ported to the console.

thanks a lot! my list now contains

- Orange Box
- Return To Castle Wolfenstein
- UT3
- Civilization 4
- Dota
-

- Orange Box (Portal, TF2, HL2 and all episodes!)
- COD4
- Mass Effect
- Bioshock
- Oblivion
I am adding a 6th!
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC

I know my list is more like only the last 3 years... mostly less than that.

Going back 8 years it kind of a lot though... so much recent stuff is on my mind, hard to think that far back o_O

COD (all of them, except 3)
RTCW
Bioshock
Red Alert 2
GTA 3

If I could add another it would be Medal of Honor: AA. That game was kickass and I'll always remember that D-day landing.

1.Beyond good and evil
2.Half life 2 + episodes
3.Bioshock
4.GTA 3
5.Audiosurf

Civilization 4 and Football manager 2008 are the only 2 games i would take though if i was on a desert island

Close combat 5
Civ 4
Counter-strike Source
Tf2
Rome Total War

The close combat series is awesome. There isn't any unit production or resource gathering grind, the focus is house to house and hedgerow to hedrow small unit combat. You have to take into account the soldier's morale/ammo state and leadership. But it is all obvious stuff, like a soldier will cower if under mortar fire, or if being suppressed by machine fire.

I bought the first of the series with my first computer, back in 1996. And CC5 isn't that much different from CC1, mostly graphics/interface changes.

Part of what makes it so long lasting is the massive modding community behind the game.

Oh, and here is a link to the main forum and mod site for the series, in case anyone was interested.

http://www.closecombatseries.net

Last edited:
1. Deus Ex, This game stole so much of my young teenage life...you get so engrossed in the storyline and gameplay was superb with the mix of RPG elements and Sci FI action made it IMO one of the best games ever!

2. Quake 3 Arena - This game was and some consider still is the daddy of all FPS deathmatch..Nuff said

3. Orange Box - Can you even get a better deal in terms of a games bundle considering the price, you get an abundant supply of gameplay hours...contains the best of HL series!

4. This was a close between CC Tiberian Sun and Age Of Mythology, but i had to go with the former..Tiberian Sun..had awsome music...cool looking graphics the corny cinematics were a treat and had to love James Earl Jones. The single player was brilliant too.

5. Not forgetting Bio ware, I prefered NWN 1 over BG2 probs cos it was faster paced....but still the nwn game had great graphics for the time, had endless hours of fun and story was rock solid as well as the gameplay.

Q.N

COD 4 - Superb vidual fidelity, the game is able to run maxed out on many systems providing some v nice eye candy. plus mulitplayer is so exhilarating.

Must have

ive picked these as they were the games i installed, tried, then never put down til i'd finished them! wouldnt have a problem revisiting them either!!

oblivion - epic
fear - raw shootem up
world in conflict - engrossing
alien trilogy(ps1 i think) - probably the only reallly scary game ive played
farcry - beautiful

i'm not sure u wanted other consoles so i left out GT4 and others but thought alien was worth the mention. if not GRAW or CnC or stalker.....!

In no particular order:

Half-Life 2
Bioshock
COD4
STALKER
Oblivion

I can't wait till the next STALKER comes out in August!

1. Mount & Blade -- no one knows it, but it has been a great game since it's .703 beta unique battle system, large scale battles, all weapons from the mid ages you can think of, riding horses, great skill system, best gameplay ever and fastly improving (currently in it's last beta).. loads of features that never appeared in any other game before. Only thing it lacks currently is high end graphics, but you won't notice that after a max of a few minutes gameplay anyways..

2. Company of Heroes --simply the most in depth RTS I've ever played

3. GTA San Andreas -- Great story, and great possibilities

4. Falcon 4.0 AF --simply the best combat flight simulator ever

5. Gothic Series -- hard to get into the gameplay, but extremely great story, world and if you know how to handle it the gameplay is great..

In no particular order:

1.UT2004
2.UT2003
3.Guild Wars
4.Guild Wars Factions
5.Guild Wars Night Fall

I was so looking forward to UT3, but with the early release, the Game Discs reading RC 7 & ZERO anti cheat that game will never see my hard drive.

Crysis
Battlefield 2142
Supreme Commander with Forged Alliance expansion
Half Life 2 plus Episodic content
DiRT

Battlefield 2 was fantastic in its day.
CSS and UT3 were great, but are now ruined by poor netcode and lack of sufficient anti-cheat measures.

Back