• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Cannot OC Radeon 5850 as high on my 4770k vs Fx 8350 answers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
So I have an 5850.
When it's on my CHV/Fx 8350 rig I can run 3D 11 and Vantage at 1000/1145 sometimes as high as 1005/1150.

Using the same drivers as on the AMD rig and the same Afterburner to OC it. When put into my Maximus Hero/4770k setup I can't overclock it over 975/1145 on either of those benches without a driver crash.

I've done 3 clean installs of windows so I know it's not an old driver conflicting any ideas?

I don't have it plugged in, I also ran the 5850 on my 2500k setup and it overclocked as well on that as it does on the 8350. I don't think it's the PSU either, I run my GTX 580 and 670 on it without a problem and I know the 580 draws more power then the 5850. It also doesn't matter what clock speeds I'm running the 4770k at. I've tried stock and overclocked.

Last edited:
It shouldn't make a bit of difference. I have never encountered that before. That said, I have never moved from AMD to Intel outside of several years ago.

I was just thinking Manny, something I have noticed with my Nvidia drivers and maybe only because I run some SLI. But I have some issues at times with older drivers on that newer chipset. Meaning some of the older ones that work fine with the 990FX I can't get SLI to activate so there's definately some difference in the way it's handled.

It shouldn't make a bit of difference. I have never encountered that before. That said, I have never moved from AMD to Intel outside of several years ago.
I agree ED it shouldn't and when swapping my 3 Nvidia cars between the rigs they all OC the same. I had also run the 5850 on my 2500k/Extreme 4 setup and it ran the same on both the AMD and Intel rig. This is why I'm at such a loss.

Johan, I will try newer drivers and see. It will run with the new catalyst drivers but I get a lot of screen flickering, but it OC's the same, so worth a shot.

So I have an 5850.
When it's on my CHV/Fx 8350 rig I can run 3D 11 and Vantage at 1000/1145 sometimes as high as 1005/1150.

Using the same drivers as on the AMD rig and the same Afterburner to OC it. When put into my Maximus Hero/4770k setup I can't overclock it over 975/1145 on either of those benches without a driver crash.

I've done 3 clean installs of windows so I know it's not an old driver conflicting any ideas?

What is the difference in scores?

Intel 975/1145 vs AMD 1005/1150?

Well it looks like what Johan suggested was the issue. For whatever reason the older Catalyst driver which worked best on the 5850 didn't want to play nice with the Intel 4770k setup. I installed Catalyst 13.12 and it is working though I did have to raise the voltage from 1.225 to 1.237 to get it to run above 990/1145. I was able to run the bench at 1000/1145. Thanks for the help people.

Depends on the bench Pierre, in general they are lower when the 5850 is clocked lower.

That is kinda of an obvious answer. I could have figured that too, but if the scores were to be the same, then would it matter?

Well it looks like what Johan suggested was the issue. For whatever reason the older Catalyst driver which worked best on the 5850 didn't want to play nice with the Intel 4770k setup. I installed Catalyst 13.12 and it is working though I did have to raise the voltage from 1.225 to 1.237 to get it to run above 990/1145. I was able to run the bench at 1000/1145. Thanks for the help people.

I had the same happen with my old 7870, the fact of the matter is that i was hitting higher scores on lower clocks. The point is not the clocks, but what it gets done with the clocks.

That is kinda of an obvious answer. I could have figured that too, but if the scores were to be the same, then would it matter?

I had the same happen with my old 7870, the fact of the matter is that i was hitting higher scores on lower clocks. The point is not the clocks, but what it gets done with the clocks.
Sorry Pierre if I came off a little abrupt, I was half asleep when I posted it. Yes at lower clocks such as 970/1125 the scores were lower. On 3D 11 for example after installing the newer driver at 980/1125 I beat my score of 5876 that I had with the Fx 8350, though the graphics score was lower the increase was all in the Physics test. Ultimately I was able to run at 1000/1145 which gave me a 6100 score and the graphics portion of the test was the same as on the 8350 give or take .5 of a FPS.

Back