• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Have you read the whole thread??? :shrug:

We talked him out of a 760 years ago.

You know what, I won't even get into it with you on a reply like that...

The OP said he wanted the 760 multiple times, posted he was worried about heat from the 280x. This means he was likely happy with NV hardware and staying with it would be fine for him, but lets ignore the person buying and using the machine and input our own wishes and desires instead eh?

"I also removed the EVGA 760 and replaced it with the R9 280 - $310. Hope my room temperature doesn't soar. Or my new mantra will be - Winter is coming." When was this, oh yesterday. I guess these days that is years ago...

Don't take people's suggestions so personally dude if someone makes an alternative suggestion. Instead of always pushing the same thing and everyone should buy it just because try and figure out what the person really wants and and will be happy with. Personally after reading all of his posts more than once, yes I always read the whole thread, I still think a 770 would a better fit for him. Will I cry myself to sleep if he buys a 280x nope sure it will be great.

Last edited:
Good Evening to All,
To Theocnoob - the reference to the GTX 570 was made because I saw it in one of the posts. May be a typo and should have been 770. I have a GTX 465 in the machine I've had for several years. So a 570 wouls be going back in time so to speak.
I have switched out the Corair Carbide 500r for the NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower USB 3.0 Gaming Case - Black $82.49
I have gone back and forth between the GTX 770 , 760 and the R9 280x. Right now the R9 280x is in the cart.
The total build is 1643.96 with daily fluctuations - my choices and the daily price.
I have Klipsch speakers which is pointing me to the MSI Z87 GD65 because of the reported sound quality and the audio software.
Also have a 27" HDMI Monitor from HP begging to be put in use again.
At this point I will wait for my next retirement check (I taught for 34 years as well as
24 summer school sessions) before clicking the purchase button. I am soooo looking forward to actually putting everything together.
Cabling everything correctly will be the challenge.
I have been watching YouTube videos and Carey Holzman videos. I'm itching to start.
Till tomorrow. roundrocker

You know what, I won't even get into it with you on a reply like that...

The OP said he wanted the 760 multiple times, posted he was worried about heat from the 280x. This means he was likely happy with NV hardware and staying with it would be fine for him, but lets ignore the person buying and using the machine and input our own wishes and desires instead eh?

"I also removed the EVGA 760 and replaced it with the R9 280 - $310. Hope my room temperature doesn't soar. Or my new mantra will be - Winter is coming." When was this, oh yesterday. I guess these days that is years ago...

Don't take people's suggestions so personally dude if someone makes an alternative suggestion. Instead of always pushing the same thing and everyone should buy it just because try and figure out what the person really wants and and will be happy with. Personally after reading all of his posts more than once, yes I always read the whole thread, I still think a 770 would a better fit for him. Will I cry myself to sleep if he buys a 280x nope sure it will be great.

Honestly, there was no harm intended in my initial comment, and I stand by it. If you get to know me you'll see there isn't a malicious bone in my body.

Honestly, there was no harm intended in my initial comment, and I stand by it. If you get to know me you'll see there isn't a malicious bone in my body.

Its cool.

The Phantom 410 is pretty nice. Just built a machine for a friend with it in red. Everyone who saw the case was impressed with how nice the color looked. The paint did peel off a little though. The rubber around the wiring holes has a tendency to pop out when pushing cabling through so have to hold it in place as you do it. Otherwise it came out as one of the cleanest case installs I've ever done.

Good Evening to All,
To Theocnoob - the reference to the GTX 570 was made because I saw it in one of the posts. May be a typo and should have been 770. I have a GTX 465 in the machine I've had for several years. So a 570 wouls be going back in time so to speak.
I have switched out the Corair Carbide 500r for the NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower USB 3.0 Gaming Case - Black $82.49
I have gone back and forth between the GTX 770 , 760 and the R9 280x. Right now the R9 280x is in the cart.
The total build is 1643.96 with daily fluctuations - my choices and the daily price.
I have Klipsch speakers which is pointing me to the MSI Z87 GD65 because of the reported sound quality and the audio software.
Also have a 27" HDMI Monitor from HP begging to be put in use again.
At this point I will wait for my next retirement check (I taught for 34 years as well as
24 summer school sessions) before clicking the purchase button. I am soooo looking forward to actually putting everything together.
Cabling everything correctly will be the challenge.
I have been watching YouTube videos and Carey Holzman videos. I'm itching to start.
Till tomorrow. roundrocker

It sounds like you have all the information you need to get started. Make sure whatever GPU you get has HDMI so you can use that monitor. I honestly don't think you'll hear a noticeable difference between the Z87-A's built in sound and the GD65's.

Hi Everyone,
Well, it's built & running. Actually I'm still downloading updates, patches, adjusting setting, etc. Cable management is on the list of still to do, but before I work on that & slide on the side panels, I'm going to run it for a couple of weeks.
This has been an amazing experience. For my next build (yes, I know what I wrote but this was great fun), I will know what to do without always thinking "I should have done something first, such as plugging the 8-pin connector to the motherboard before installing the Noctua NH-D14. Very small area within which to maneuver.
Here's the build:
NXZT Phantom case - black
Intel Core i7 4770K
MSI Z87 G45 mobo
Corsair 750 bronze power supply
Corsair Ballistix low profile 16 GB RAM
Noctua NH-D14 heatpipe
Samsung EVO 500 GB SSD
Seagate 2 TB HD
Radeon R9 280X 3GB video card
Windows 8.1
Asus 24x DVD-RW
To go with HP 27" HDMI monitor
5.1 speakers
During the build, I became a Carey Holzman groupie. At one point when nothing moved after trying to boot, I removed all but the motherboard. I then reseated the leads to the Power SW, LED lights, system fans, connected the power supply. It was very pleasing to see the fans turn, the blue LED. I added one component at a time after that & then booted the computer. Each time it booted.
The only real difficulty was getting the audio to work. But a reinstall of the Realtek drivers from the MSI disk took care of that. I recalled a review stating that a reinstall of the audio was needed.
Yes, I'm smiling. All of you had a hand in this. I am so appreciative. roundrocker
PS Time to game

Hi Everyone,
Well, it's built & running. Actually I'm still downloading updates, patches, adjusting setting, etc. Cable management is on the list of still to do, but before I work on that & slide on the side panels, I'm going to run it for a couple of weeks.
This has been an amazing experience. For my next build (yes, I know what I wrote but this was great fun), I will know what to do without always thinking "I should have done something first, such as plugging the 8-pin connector to the motherboard before installing the Noctua NH-D14. Very small area within which to maneuver.
Here's the build:
NXZT Phantom case - black
Intel Core i7 4770K
MSI Z87 G45 mobo
Corsair 750 bronze power supply
Corsair Ballistix low profile 16 GB RAM
Noctua NH-D14 heatpipe
Samsung EVO 500 GB SSD
Seagate 2 TB HD
Radeon R9 280X 3GB video card
Windows 8.1
Asus 24x DVD-RW
To go with HP 27" HDMI monitor
5.1 speakers
During the build, I became a Carey Holzman groupie. At one point when nothing moved after trying to boot, I removed all but the motherboard. I then reseated the leads to the Power SW, LED lights, system fans, connected the power supply. It was very pleasing to see the fans turn, the blue LED. I added one component at a time after that & then booted the computer. Each time it booted.
The only real difficulty was getting the audio to work. But a reinstall of the Realtek drivers from the MSI disk took care of that. I recalled a review stating that a reinstall of the audio was needed.
Yes, I'm smiling. All of you had a hand in this. I am so appreciative. roundrocker
PS Time to game

Congratulations. Make sure you are on the latest drivers for everything. Also not a bad idea to be on the latest bios for your motherboard. You can download the drivers for your motherboard and onboard components like sound, networking, additional SATA controllers, etc from MSI directly.

Have you started overclocking yet? Check out the Haswell overclocking guide in Intel CPUs/Stickies

Last edited:
Good Morning,
I'm off to work in a bit. Retired but have a couple of part-time jobs.
So I have not overclocked yet. My plan at this point is to game with current setup and overclock later and "feel" the wind in my hair so to speak - feel the difference.
I will make it a point to go to MSI.com for the latest drivers during the next few days.
Hope all is well with you. roundrocker

Back