• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you do with extra PSU wires?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What do you do with extra PSU wires?

• Total voters
those are some nice power supplies, but after connecting our high powered fans, video cards, hard drives, cd roms, and water pumps dont most of us end up using all the cords anyway? i tie mine behind the motherboard tray.

I just squeeze the wires inbetween my dvd burner and dvdrom. I'd hate to cut them off or desolder them only to find out I'm gonna need it in 3 months.

I put them behind the motherboard tray. Out of sight, out of mind, and I still have my PSU warranty. :D

Mine are tucked away out of site above the PSU... I think there's only 1 or 2 unused anyway :p

Other,

Cut a hole next to the PSU above the motherboard and ran all the wires thru it, and taped the extra ones to the back of the motherboard tray.

Doh... Totally forgot the behind mobo idea...

But man oh man...
ballowires.jpg
There is about 3 spare lines in there... One with 2 molexs + floppy, a Xeon one(?), and one with 2 satas. Since I'm here with my Winnie (YAY!), and half full 300GB of space, I dont really need any of those cables any time soon... If I do open it up, I think I shall also shorten the current ones. I am a h4x0r solder-er. (Plus I need an excuse to get inside my PSU...)

@ the fly named Brundle, I ALMOST picked up that PSU in place of my Antec one, but I was like, "OH MAI GAWD, the blue SO TOTALLY doesnt go with my mai case." ($100 vs $70 was the final call :p)

Don't do anything with em. Close up the case and they're out of sight, out of mind. Airflow be damned.

I don't tend to do much with them, except push them up into an empty bay if possible. :( I guess I should revisit that next time I am making some modifications to my system.

neonblingbling said:
Doh... Totally forgot the behind mobo idea...

But man oh man...
There is about 3 spare lines in there... One with 2 molexs + floppy, a Xeon one(?), and one with 2 satas. Since I'm here with my Winnie (YAY!), and half full 300GB of space, I dont really need any of those cables any time soon... If I do open it up, I think I shall also shorten the current ones. I am a h4x0r solder-er. (Plus I need an excuse to get inside my PSU...)

@ the fly named Brundle, I ALMOST picked up that PSU in place of my Antec one, but I was like, "OH MAI GAWD, the blue SO TOTALLY doesnt go with my mai case." ($100 vs $70 was the final call :p)

I think I'll score one for Bam's system in the spring, solves the rounded cable prob, and new PSU prob, two birds with one stone. Matches the Albatron vidcard and blue cathodes too. You got one big mess of wire there my friend. Cut that wire off, bring it in to the recycler's, and you probably got $100 worth of copper, if the rate is @80cents a pound, heh heh heh. :D

Brundle Fly said:
I think I'll score one for Bam's system in the spring, solves the rounded cable prob, and new PSU prob, two birds with one stone. Matches the Albatron vidcard and blue cathodes too. You got one big mess of wire there my friend. Cut that wire off, bring it in to the recycler's, and you probably got $100 worth of copper, if the rate is @80cents a pound, heh heh heh. :D

I'm not selling anything! It'll probably cost $200 to buy the wire back when I need it!

Back