• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What firewall do you use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What firewall do you use?

• Total voters
I use XP's firewall, and their windoze defender too.

I don't torrent or game or engage in any other activity like that.
I just hit the forums, and google around for information. Maybe some on-line shopping too.
Add the fact that I'm on dial-suck, so I'd guess I'm a lower profile target than most.

I have a hardware firewall built into my router, but lately I've been thinking about a software firewall as a supplement to keep my online transactions more secure.

I was thinking of Outpost Pro, Jetico, or Comodo. Probably whichever uses the least resources. But then again, I'm wondering how much these things help me when browsing the internet.

I voted for 3
At my house protecting my mom/dad while I'm away at school is a smoothwall
Here in my apartment I have a router along with iptables on my ubuntu machine (for that one I selected other).

Sygate was (is) the best but does not work in 64 or Vista .. so I have not installed it in a long time.

I use windows firewall to alert me of outgoing attempts and a hardware firewall to stop general attacks.

Hardware router/firewall and XP firewall on my systems/HTPCs. Additional router for secondary subnet with no external gateway for my 2003 R2 system that runs no firewall.

i've been a big fan of smoothwall 2.0 for quite some time now...
i've been wanting to get an astaro security linux box up and running (very secure, lots of featueres) but it takes quite a bit of configuration. with my luck, someone would need access to an outgoing port and i wouldn't be around to fix it if i failed to set it up to accept the outgoing traffic...

I used to run with only my router's hardware firewall, but after a worm worked its way through the LAN from a roomates computer I'm also now using Windows Firewall. It works perfectly fine (despite what others may criticize about it) since I don't see the need for outbound protection. If I've got something on my machine that wants to talk to the outside world without my knowledge, I'm screwed anyway.

JigPu

I use Win XP's just cause it's there. I also use a router and my DSL modem has a firewall in it also. I don't see any reason for anything more.

DSL modem is bridged to a buffalo router with DD-WRT (so semi-firewalled there), and I use Symantec Corp. 9 (got it for free from school - reminds me of norton 2003) for outbound/worm protection and to keep myself protected from anything my brother might accidentally introduce into the local network. It's actually fairly low in resource usage, which surprised me having had to remove Norton products almost continuously for friends and extended family in the past. It disables shared folders by default :-/ , but I haven't removed that incredibly stupid "feature" as I prefer running Bulletproof FTP or VSFTP when I need to share files locally.

I have a running smoothwall 2 and I am building a higher specked machine for smoothwall 3. I just need to get my PPTP/VPN to run through that.

I also have my router and from time to time things get through that and show up in the logs on the smoothwall.

I use Symantec Corp. 9 (got it for free from school - reminds me of norton 2003) for outbound/worm protection and to keep myself protected from anything my brother might accidentally introduce into the local network. It's actually fairly low in resource usage, which surprised me having had to remove Norton products almost continuously for friends and extended family in the past.
I've noticed that corporate versions of antivirus in general work a lot better than the consumer versions. My school distributes McAffee Enterprise 8.5 and it blows every other retail version of McAffee and Symantec I've seen out of the water.

I really have to know if its possible for mere consumers to buy these versions... I'm gonna be sad when I'm out of school and am forced to use a worse version after reformatting :(

JigPu

Sygate was (is) the best but does not work in 64 or Vista .. so I have not installed it in a long time.

I use windows firewall to alert me of outgoing attempts and a hardware firewall to stop general attacks.

+1 for sygate. i still used xp so sygate is perfect :D

Back