• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Nublet Overclocker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmagicalFishy

Hello, guys.

I recently got into overclocking, so I'm quite the nub., but, I realize that since I have a Compaq, my "BIOS" is the equivilent of a nun's... :bang head - making OCing the motherboard near impossible.

After hours of looking, I couldn't find any software for my MB, and decided I'd give up for now.

Motherboard: MSI MS-7525 (If you know of any compatible software, do share. I'm afriad I don't have a floppy-drive, so flashing it may be difficult.)

Anyway, I also have an Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160, which I've heard is an awesome overclocker. I'm wondering: would it be safe (or is it possible) to overclock my CPU without having to overclock my motherboard?

Or are OCing the CPU and OCing the MB synonymous? From what I've read, it's the same thing, but - I figure this is worth a try. A bit of hope, I have!

the only way to overclock your cpu is through your motherboard (add more voltage, increase FSB, etc) you cannot overclock your CPU without the aid of a motherboard

the only way to overclock your cpu is through your motherboard (add more voltage, increase FSB, etc) you cannot overclock your CPU without the aid of a motherboard

Well, that's not entirely true... you could do a BSEL mod to change the CPU to a 1066FSB, and as far as the motherboard is concerned it would appear as a stock 1066FSB CPU. Doing so might also require a VID mod, but maybe not. Again, that would just involve changing some traces on the CPU to get it to default to a certain voltage.

You might even be able to get the 1333FSB mod to work, but that would depend whether the Compaq BIOS allows for 1333FSB processors (the 'real' MSI version does, but the Compaq OEM may or may not), and it would prolly require a bit of a voltage bump.

The best bet would be to purchase a new motherboard for your CPU, preferably a good one that wouldn't have nun's living in the BIOS.

The best bet would be to purchase a new motherboard for your CPU

Maybe, but I'd personally go with the $10 for a conductive ink pen before $60+ for a motherboard, since 3ghz (1333FSB) on a Compaq board will perform the same as 3ghz on a different board... you prolly wouldn't get much more out of that chip anyway, even on a high-end motherboard.

I've tried to OC on compaq boards, and a lot of times they lock the bios to prevent people from OCing under warranty and smoking the parts, and then asking for replacements. You're board may be able to do it, but mine was not.

Back