• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How-to: Linux Gaming Explained

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i am trying to install this with a Ubuntu non-install

i guess that best describes it

i installed Ubuntu through windows as a trial
it can be un unstalled at anytime...
everything seems ok so far, the install is taking way,way long...lol

i am excited to try to try Linux again

well i decided to do a proper install, i partitioned my HDD and gave Linux 350 gig
i finished the install
and it doesn't install the game, i am trying Guild Wars
i did see alot of this
failed to pharse this and that...

ok, sorry, my hardware is in my sig, I am using Ubuntu 9.04

and is does finish the install
but during the instasll it says...

Screenshot.png

I am getting kinda lost

Last edited:
You may need to post the topmost error in the CLI screen, whats in that screenshot does not give enough info for us to progress this. You may want to copy/paste everything in that window and just post the log here for us to review.

It would also help to know exactly what command you issued in the CLI which lead to that error. What part of the guide are you on?

Last edited:
i can do that, but the only way i can get that info is to uninstall and re- install

i have no problem with that, but will it screw things up more?

i guess what i am say is
were those errors normal?
i am currently installing Steam

edit: just thought of something, is it because i am using the 64 bit version?

Last edited:
Added a new tip in the OP

TIP: Pulse audio wrapper
I learned about this recently from a freind.

If you are having the common issue that you can't listen to music or watch videos with sound while a WINE game is running append "padsp" before wine calls to wrap the wine program in a pulse audio wrapper. This let's it play nice with other Linux apps. I have no clue why this isn't implemented by default in Wine, but it works, and it works GREAT.

This is how I launch steam so all my steam apps are in the wrapper:
Code:
padsp wine /home/caedis/games/Steam/Steam.exe

well it didn't work, i am trying to play L4D but it says

Screenshot-3-1.png G]

and

Screenshot-4-1.png

Okay, this looks like a driver issue, not a steam issue. Have you installed the latest Nvidia drivers? If so, what version.

If you aren't sure, best to make sure and reinstall the drivers. Use the driver link in my sig to get help with this process. It's a seemingly complicated process. But with just a little practice and patience, you'll have it down and committed to memory in no time.

Once you have re-installed your NV drivers and have done at least one full reboot, please try running L4D again.

If it gives you any further trouble, reply here and I'll hook you up. ;)

We'll have you whipping Win-doze programs into shape bending to your will in no time.

King Tut! Thanks Caedis. I'm installing winetricks right now, and the following error is popping up again & again. Is it a cause for concern?

"Error: MSVCRT.DLL is not compatible with Win32s."

Also, will this allow The Sims to run? I have a friend who let me install Ubuntu on her laptop and she likes the game. Just curious.

Well, the install eventually crapped out. Now none of my wine apps are running. Any attempt to launch them results in the same error I mentioned in the above post.

What gives?

**EDIT**
Checked wine config & the version was 3.1. Setting it to XP fixed it.

Last edited:
I did everything stated in the OP but when trying to install the cabextract I get the following error. Any way to fix this?

Code:
user@user:~$ sudo apt-get install cabextract
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
cabextract is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
user@user:~$ sh winetricks vcrun6 allfonts allcodecs dotnet11 dotnet20 directx9 comctl32 comctl32.ocx fontfix mfc40 mfc42 msls31 ole2 pdh urlmon wininet native_mdac
Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/home/user', starting in the Windows directory.
Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/home/user', starting in the Windows directory.
Executing wine /home/user/.winetrickscache/vc6redistsetup_enu.exe /T:C:\winetrickstmp /c
wine: cannot find '/home/user/.winetrickscache/vc6redistsetup_enu.exe'
Note: command 'wine /home/user/.winetrickscache/vc6redistsetup_enu.exe /T:C:\winetrickstmp /c' returned status 2.  Aborting.

Back