• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt297

Registered
OK so iv been out of the 'Graphics card loop' for a while...running some old 6970's crossfired over 3 screens, which have been perfect!

Unfortunately they aren't keeping up anymore (esp with BF4) so its time to spend some cash. Since I have forgotten everything about what to look for in a card/s, some tips would be ace. :) All the new appendages in front and after the card names confuse the hell out of me.

Im not biased to on certain brand, as long as they are reputable.

My question is: Should i stick to running 2 cards, or with all the new technology, just buy one 'better' card?
I do like running the 3 screen when gaming etc. My budget is around $300-350AUD per card. If thats unrealistic, then please feel free to tell me!

I use the Pc for gaming, a bit of video editing, and some rendering on Architectural programs.

Any help is appreciated!

For that price grab a single 780 or 780Ti, which ever is in your price range.

The 780 is ~2x the performance of a 6970, but without the performance drop of having to run multiple GPUs.

I would prioritise the video cards ability to render your architectural programs. If they are already working great with your current cards then you should be fine with newer generation AMD R9 290X cards (current top end AMD with the X on the end - do buy a non-reference cooler model, they need it)
Last time I checked, last gen of cards, AMD often had quite a lead over NVidia for raw compute power in applications. But it is best to dig up some reviews relating to the particular programs you use as NVidia can pull ahead in apps optimised for their cards. (The 780 "Ti" model is essentially top of NVidia's current lineup and is really very good too, usually slightly outpacing AMD's offering in games. AMD's 290X "should" be rather cheaper, not sure how Aus is for the cryptocoin mining craze driving AMD's card prices up - courtesy of retails price hikes!)

Although you Can run 3 screens, assuming 1080p per screen, on either AMD or NVidia top offerings you will have to reduce some options in the more graphically challenging games to retain playable framerates.

I believe AMD's new crossfire scales better than NVidia's current multiple cards. AMD have also done away with the bridge connectors now + have also fixed the frame pacing/delay issues on these cards ;)

I would prioritise the video cards ability to render your architectural programs. If they are already working great with your current cards then you should be fine with newer generation AMD R9 290X cards (current top end AMD with the X on the end - do buy a non-reference cooler model, they need it)
Last time I checked, last gen of cards, AMD often had quite a lead over NVidia for raw compute power in applications. But it is best to dig up some reviews relating to the particular programs you use as NVidia can pull ahead in apps optimised for their cards. (The 780 "Ti" model is essentially top of NVidia's current lineup and is really very good too, usually slightly outpacing AMD's offering in games. AMD's 290X "should" be rather cheaper, not sure how Aus is for the cryptocoin mining craze driving AMD's card prices up - courtesy of retails price hikes!)

Although you Can run 3 screens, assuming 1080p per screen, on either AMD or NVidia top offerings you will have to reduce some options in the more graphically challenging games to retain playable framerates.

I believe AMD's new crossfire scales better than NVidia's current multiple cards. AMD have also done away with the bridge connectors now + have also fixed the frame pacing/delay issues on these cards ;)

The programs work well with what I have, but gaming its really starting to lack. Some games you just can't run 3 screens, it's just too much to look at all at once. So the latest game I have it BF4, which I run on a single monitor at 1080p. With the Graphics set to medium it still drops framerate a bit. Other than that, i have never had any issues with the cards/software/hardware setup at all.

Is there a 'performance' (for lack of a better word) difference between having 2 'good' cards in SLI or one 'great' card on its own?
Is it a case of 2 cards are not necessarily better?
Obviously there would be advantages of having one card like more space; top of the list would be reduced heat. These cards pump out soo much heat together it unbelieveable!

For that price grab a single 780 or 780Ti, which ever is in your price range.

The 780 is ~2x the performance of a 6970, but without the performance drop of having to run multiple GPUs.

Thanks mate. What is the difference between the 780 and 780ti??
Iv only ever run AMD cards so not too sure...

The programs work well with what I have, but gaming its really starting to lack. Some games you just can't run 3 screens, it's just too much to look at all at once. So the latest game I have it BF4, which I run on a single monitor at 1080p. With the Graphics set to medium it still drops framerate a bit. Other than that, i have never had any issues with the cards/software/hardware setup at all.

Is there a 'performance' (for lack of a better word) difference between having 2 'good' cards in SLI or one 'great' card on its own?
Is it a case of 2 cards are not necessarily better?
Obviously there would be advantages of having one card like more space; top of the list would be reduced heat. These cards pump out soo much heat together it unbelieveable!

Thanks mate. What is the difference between the 780 and 780ti??
Iv only ever run AMD cards so not too sure...

The Ti has more raw power. Its literally just more GPU cores, kind of like going 7950->7970.

Back