• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

random crashes, freezes, reboots, shutdown?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have what you see in the sig, ssd main, ssd temp files and storage hdd as well as a external hdd

I have what is in my sig as well as an external and a spare 150gb raptor I used to use before getting the ssd.

If it's empty, you could install Windows on to it just to see if a fresh install still gives you crashes.

well the problem is that it's very random and infrequent, I'd be waiting a while or less that a day for it to happen and I don't really feel like doing nothing on an empty drive for that long...I've been planning a clean install for a few weeks now but wanted to make sure it wasn't a hardware issue first

I will however keep you guys posted once I've done the clean install, after a few days.

thanks for the help

well the problem is that it's very random and infrequent, I'd be waiting a while or less that a day for it to happen and I don't really feel like doing nothing on an empty drive for that long...I've been planning a clean install for a few weeks now but wanted to make sure it wasn't a hardware issue first

I will however keep you guys posted once I've done the clean install, after a few days.

thanks for the help

If it crashes after a fresh install..... :(
Back to square one :p

alright, this weekend it is then...I will need more time because I also plan to rewire the case a bit and clean it up, reapply TIM on my cpu etc...

clean install complete.

I also took everything apart as I said I would, tested to make sure the psu fan turns on when the psu gets hotter and did some more wire management and reapplied TIM on my cpu.

will keep you posted if I get you know what, but I better not!

It's not OS related. When the OS quits, it doesn't kill the power to the rig.
Definitely a hardware problem. Best guess based on what you've checked already, motherboard or bent/burnt pin/s in socket or bad vid card.

Last edited:
I just booted up today and within a minute got a bsod.

I have a mini dump file but unsure of how to read/analyse it.

BCCode: f4
BCP1: 0000000000000003
BCP2: FFFFFA80088AFB30
BCP3: FFFFFA80088AFE10
BCP4: FFFFF800035DD7B0

Attachments

• 040614-4711-01.7z
    22.8 KB · Views: 10
Codes point to HDD or cable, and driver errors (most likely vid card).
When you say 'clean' install, Did you wipe the drive?

Codes point to HDD or cable, and driver errors (most likely vid card).
When you say 'clean' install, Did you wipe the drive?

yes, no image, clean install from scratch

HDD as in my Seagate Barracuda or my OS SSD?

I'm using the latest 14.3 beta driver for my GPU

yes, no image, clean install from scratch

HDD as in my Seagate Barracuda or my OS SSD?

I'm using the latest 14.3 beta driver for my GPU

I understand from scratch install, but did you wipe the drive before you did that?, as in secure erase? If you just format and install, little bits of info are still left over. A destructive firmware flash is even better. It restores your SSD back to factory fresh.

HDD can be any of your drives. Best advice is to just install your OS SSD first and leave the other drives disconnected until you get the problem sorted.

Don't use Beta's if you're having problems. Go with an approved driver until you get it sorted.

I did not do secure erase. I didn't have an os installed on another drive so I could boot from it to do a secure erase.

when you say destructive firmware flash you mean?

Are you saying that I have both video card driver errors and hdd errors?

Last edited:
update:

I've successfully secure erased both of my ssd's and I will continue to troubleshoot.

I've installed windows on both ssd's but will continue to try and troubleshoot the Samsung before I swap over to my OCZ.

I will also use a qualified gpu driver instead of beta...

I'll report back later...

Back