• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3d Modelling software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

Looking to build a new tech station / desk and want to plan it out to the last detail before I build it.

Was wondering if there were any simple to use 3d modelling software that I could try out.

Free is preferred but I may be able to get the software cheap/free through work if a paid solution is the simplest/best option.

3ds max is one i know and have used, gmax is another though it has not been updated in a while, blender is a free one i think

IS there any benefit to choosing one over the other? I googled and found so many, I just doi not know anything about them. I played around with autodesk structure a bit as well as some architecturing software. But I have not used ACad since the 80's.

Only thing I know about 3dMax is that GFX guys used to use it alot.

I'm an animator and have done a good amount of work in 3DSMax and some in Maya, you can get a trial for 30 days if I remember correctly. I'm not really sure of the full range of 3D apps out there, but Max has an excellent help system with tons of tutorials. What are you planning on making?

Try Blender: www.blender.org

It's free and powerful. Heck, it even has a built-in game engine. The interface is a little odd, but there is a very detailed wiki page devoted to getting people started.

Try Blender: www.blender.org

It's free and powerful. Heck, it even has a built-in game engine. The interface is a little odd, but there is a very detailed wiki page devoted to getting people started.

Blender is good, probably the closest free thing to real modeling software.

If your willing to pay, 3dsmax, cinema4d, maya, softimage xsi, are all very good.

You can get the softimage xsi mod version which is great, and its free, but not for commercial use.

Also if you wanting to make characters/detailed models, then Zbrush or mudbox are very good 3d sculpting programs. Modo as well has a very good modeling and sculpting suite.

*Id reccomend start with blender cuz its free not too complicated, and go from there.

as I am reading this I am downloading "FREECAD" from source forge, you might want to google and see what you think it is still in alpha stage.

Rather then Make a New Thread.

I am trying to find a software that does othrographic drawing

not sure if it exists, but basically I want to draw in one screen, and see thumbnails of the drawing from other angles, and be able to print a page that has the multiple views with dimensions on it,

does such a software exist, I will admit my last use of CAD software was AutoCad LT back in 1999 so I could just be dreaming of something of this nature

At work we used MrSid for viewing orthographic maps, although I am a little confused. Orthographic is aerial (or space) photography, overlaid with land markings (be it topo, boundaries etc). A la google maps. Are your trying to take those and create your own maps? Sounds very interesting

The only software I know that lets you draw and see a live 3D image in another window is an Architecture software... can not think of the name right now... but it lets you layout the land as well and has a live 3D view window running that you can pan, zoom and orbit with. phs4000 or something like that Punch! software product page

Last edited:
As a mechanical CAD engineer, I recommend Google Sketch up for playing around, and it is free.

Back