• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advise on the i5-3570k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Imho not much to gain taking 3570k over 2500k if it/s only 2-5% gain as stated above except heat.
From my PoV all i can see is u having extreme urge to waste money.
There are other advantages as well that are not just pure processing performance (PCIe 3.0, HD 4000, power consumption etc.).

There are other advantages as well that are not just pure processing performance (PCIe 3.0, HD 4000, power consumption etc.).

PCIe 3.0 maybe but i hardly doubt that those things are playing huge advantage over 2500k since we're debating about "K" version and i "asume" he's using dedicated gpu and planing to OC so i think he+s not much into iGPU and consumption.
just my 2 cents :attn:

Well, if you can find a used certified high OC 2500k at a decent price, that can be a way.
I've found a 2500k running@5GHz/1.47v for $160 a couple of hours ago, and I'll go for it. The extra MHz compensate the 2% to 5% perf increase.

Bought z77x-ud3h, i5-3570k, and Ripjaw X 4x2gb 2133mhz 1.65v 9cas.

I'll get back here asoon as I get'em running.

Hoping would get it at 4.0-4.2ghz stock volts and start going up from there with you guys help.

Thanks guys,

More power OCF:)

Hey guys,

I got my system together.

How should I OC this chip? IDK anything about intel. I had an AMD rig.

I skim through the forums and they just adjust the multiplier to overclock with i5-3570k? I want to only mild oc this thing since it will be used for gaming. Mild overclock around 4.2-4.4 @stock volts is fine.

692d7t.png
[/IMG]

Also, is my memory running at speeds it suppose to run? Or do I have to change something at bios?

Sorry if I missed it, but what cooler are you using?

Might I recommend making a signature with the pertinent info like Don Karnage has?

Go into the bios, set multiplier to 44X, save, reboot, test. Its that easy

Yeah but what about everything else? Just that? How about my memory wouldn't be oc'ed aswell, plus I dont think its running at the advertised speed atm.

Sorry if I missed it, but what cooler are you using?

Might I recommend making a signature with the pertinent info like Don Karnage has?

Done sir.

CPU: i5-3570k
Cooler: NH-D14
Memory: G.skill Ripjaw X 2x4GB 2133mhz 1.65v 9cas
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77x-UD3H updated to lastestbios

Oh, you're good. Raise the multiplier. I'd set Vcore to a comfortable level (say maybe 1.28V to start) and start raising the multi until it crashes, then back off one and test. If you just move the multi it might raise Vcore too far too quickly on "auto".

The RAM you have to manually set per the sticker - you need to set the speed (DDR3-2133), DRAM voltage (1.65v) and first four timings. CL = 9 in your case, not sure about the other three. Don't worry about overclocking RAM until you're done with the CPU.

Or you can set multi to 44, voltage to 1.28V, and lower voltage until system crashes during stress test, then move voltage up again. This way you get the lowest voltage for your desired OC.

Also you can adjust several other components to further stabilize your system:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7172235#post7172235

^ This is a fantastic thread and will walk you through how to do it PROPERLY, and you will end up with what you want in the end. Efficient and stable OC with the least amount of waste/heat produced.

Oh, you're good. Raise the multiplier. I'd set Vcore to a comfortable level (say maybe 1.28V to start) and start raising the multi until it crashes, then back off one and test. If you just move the multi it might raise Vcore too far too quickly on "auto".

The RAM you have to manually set per the sticker - you need to set the speed (DDR3-2133), DRAM voltage (1.65v) and first four timings. CL = 9 in your case, not sure about the other three. Don't worry about overclocking RAM until you're done with the CPU.

I have a question, so the first four timings I'll change it to 9 and leave everything else the way it is?

Alright will do exactly what you said sir.

Currently at school right now, will do it this afternoon.

I'll be back :D

Negative. You need to change the first four timings to whatever it says on the stocks. The first timing (cas latency / CL) is 9. The other three I've no idea without seeing the memory itself.

Orahh, so I'll set it to this 9-11-10-28?

One more question, how long should I run p95 to test for stability then going back at bios again to lower/higher the voltage?

Yes, that's correct.

I'd say run 10 minutes, raise multi, run 10 minutes, raise multi...etc until it crashes.

You might want to use a more thorough tool like AIDA64. Prime only tests one part of the CPU, as does LinX. Aida will test all the facets. At least in my experience, it's a better judge of actual stability. FWIW.

Orahh, so I'll set it to this 9-11-10-28?

One more question, how long should I run p95 to test for stability then going back at bios again to lower/higher the voltage?

I do a 5 minute prime, and keep pushing until I no longer have stable prime, then I loosen the value one notch and test for about 30 minutes.. If it doesn't crash, I usually loosen the value one more notch to have rock solid.

Some people will run prime for way longer to ensure stability, but I play mostly games so my CPU is rarely 100% usage, so stability is not as critical as with applications that use 100% cpu constantly.

At 44x multi do I keep raising the multi if it passes 10 mins aida64 or at 44x multi I'll just lower/higher the voltage after it passes 10mins aida64?

Back