• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual 56K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FizzledFiend

I know this sounds wierd especially from a guy with cable but I read somewhere in here where a guy was able to get dual 56k modems to work with each other. He had posted a link to the website with the info. I know I should have bookmarked it, but I never thought I would need it....Whelp a buddy of mine was very interested in it and asked me to try and find the link..................Help a mad modder out here!

I moved your post to Internet and networking where you should get alot more help for your question. Having just read that article less than a week ago I wish I could remember where I saw it. Sorry I could not help you more, please remember to post in the proper topic. Thanks!

J

me too

yea i have a modem that alows it, you need 2 phone lines and 2 modems 1 with "shotgun technology" but some isp's dont let you do it. i tried and tried and tried, but i could only get one to connect

check with your isp before you go and buy a new modem or anything.

Re: me too

maskedgeek said:
yea i have a modem that alows it, you need 2 phone lines and 2 modems 1 with "shotgun technology" but some isp's dont let you do it. i tried and tried and tried, but i could only get one to connect

check with your isp before you go and buy a new modem or anything.
You don't necessarily need shotgun, there is a program that allows you to do it with two modems no matter what trust me on this it is not a lost cause just wish I knew where I had seen that.

J

i had that once, its sux compared to cable but its better than standard 56k, i have a disk with all the software somewhere, it came with a rockwell modem like a year ago and i just needed two phone lines and two isp accounts and all it duz it works kinda like a RAID array, it devides the workload between the two modems, therefore it will be twice as fast, if i can remember I'll dig out the disk tonight and ill tell you the name of the software or a website or something helpful maybe you could try a search for rockwell software or something of the like.

Win98 can do this in software. You gotta be sure that your ISP will allow you to be connected multiple times though. that, or get multiple accounts. As stated before, you also gotta have a phone line for each modem.

Jeniva said:
if your gonna have to buy 2 isp accounts..look into DSL or cable..it should be about the same price...My cable runs $39.95 a month

I think you are missing the point... the guy is not interested in DSL or cable, probably for the same reasons I am not.... I can not get DSL, CABLE or anything else worth having (including satelite) out here where I live. (And for all you smart a**es, no, moving is not an option right now, possibly not for a year:D)

If anyone finds out how to do this and what is needed, PLEASE contact me A.S.A.P.....:cool:

Last edited:
Its called shotgunning and ur isp needs to support multilink and ur os needs to support it and u need two phone lines. This will be about $50 month, why not get dsl or cabel?

Bmxpunk86pl said:
Its called shotgunning and ur isp needs to support multilink and ur os needs to support it and u need two phone lines. This will be about $50 month, why not get dsl or cabel?

Mainly we are looking for a way to provide faster service to folks like myself who have no other options available. I can't get any of the faster services here where I live (as I stated above), and the sat system I am using is SOOOOO unreliable it is a waste of time.

The shotgunning may be the only way I can do it. And right now I pay $70.00 a month for lousy sat service, so $50.00 a onth is a relief. :D

Well, I just checked with ATT and Earthlink and they both say they do not support or allow multilink technology.

Anyone have a clue who may?

:(

its called multilinking. I know IVWnet does it for 24.99 a month, but when i was using them they said i was using my 56k as a dedicated line and they blocked my account for 1 month.....i told them i wasn't but that didn't matter and they said its the backbone that did it and there is nothing the can do about it....

Okay, I just checked with our local provider, Verizon, and the tech support gentleman and the order submission lady just told me that they have had customers do this with their systems. They are no familiar enough with it to give a strong yes or no, but I am being granted a temporary connection next week when I get another modem so I can try it out before they sign me up full time.

Wish me luck.

BTW - my satellite system has been showing "Not Connected" for over 3 hours now... this is what is considered "Best Effort" service from Earthlink. The system was installed almost a week ago, and I have had good connections for about 9 hours out of the last 144 hours that the system has been live.... amazing how little $600.00 will get you these days... not to mention the $70.00 a month...

I am connected now via a modem that is only allowed 20 hours a month before they bill me $.99 and hour....

The word UPSET does not even begin to cover how I feel right now.:mad:

*fingers crossed*

Win2K and NT support bonding which is a little different than multilinking. It's not quite as fast than if you find an ISP that supports multilinking but it is faster.

You'll still need two modems, two phone lines and and two ISP accounts to dial into. Simple to set up and NT will actually prompt you before setting up a connection if you wish to bond the lines.

Win2K requires you to set it up but is very simple.

you may look into Midpoint.exe

I think it is what you are looking for sence it will bond almost any type of connection

however i have yet to try the program so I have no experence with it.

Jon said:
Win2K and NT support bonding which is a little different than multilinking. It's not quite as fast than if you find an ISP that supports multilinking but it is faster.

You'll still need two modems, two phone lines and and two ISP accounts to dial into. Simple to set up and NT will actually prompt you before setting up a connection if you wish to bond the lines.

Win2K requires you to set it up but is very simple.

I just did this and it was easy! Win2K took all the pain out of this procedure. And it was worth the effort too. With the dual-modems, I now get a nice 85k dial-up connection. (DSL is not available in my area). Oh, and I only need one ISP account.

Back