• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nope, no special hardware needed. The main reason for me not wanting it on my file server (even though it is way more than capable) was to offload "downtime" from that server to this one. My file server is constantly changing. I run a Teamspeak server for a friend on our server and I have to let him know everytime that I need to work on my server; MY SERVER. That bothers me. SO, as said below, this was a cheap fix; it allows them to keep using a server and it allows me to work on my own projects while learning about webservers. I also wanted to go linux for the webserver, and that is difficult with an already purchased copy of Windwos 2003; don't want it to just sit there.

if you need help with gentoo, PM me. Gentoo is like my right hand... only reason I'm not using it on my server is I didn't care to do the leg work the other day. once my desktop is up and running fully, I'll probably switch the server over to the...

g

Interesting and thanks for the offer, do you have experience with the server aspect or just gentoo in general? I have quite a bit of linux experience, but very little when it comes to servers/server apps.

Heck, totally forgot I needed to enable the Adaptec module in the kernel the first 5 times I made it. Then I figured out that the "can't mount /dev/sda3, unknown block" was linux talk for "You IDIOT, you forgot the module!".

From my opinion the only things worth sticking on a Linux webserver when learning would be CentOS (an open source RedHat clone), RedHat Enterprise Linux and Ubuntu Server this is simply because that's what the Hosting Industry industry uses in general as such any skills learn can be directly translated to employment opportunities.

From my opinion the only things worth sticking on a Linux webserver when learning would be CentOS (an open source RedHat clone), RedHat Enterprise Linux and Ubuntu Server this is simply because that's what the Hosting Industry industry uses in general as such any skills learn can be directly translated to employment opportunities.

Well, yes. I agree with you on this, and thideras can't benefit from gentoo if he's been using linux for years. I just know I saw gentoo in the original post so i offered to help if it was needed. :)

i agree, centOS is pretty damm good :)

whatever you do, let us know thid :) i can help with cent also. my server is running CentOS 4 if i recall.

Well, yes. I agree with you on this, and thideras can't benefit from gentoo if he's been using linux for years. I just know I saw gentoo in the original post so i offered to help if it was needed. :)

Fair enough, if your cool with Gentoo :D
Im not knocking Gentoo, the documentation in that project is great and i probably learn as much about linux trying to get Gentoo to work as I have anything else,
As long a someone can help with it that's cool because Gentoo hates me with a passion :beer:

Fair enough, if your cool with Gentoo :D
Im not knocking Gentoo, the documentation in that project is great and i probably learn as much about linux trying to get Gentoo to work as I have anything else,
As long a someone can help with it that's cool because Gentoo hates me with a passion :beer:

Let me know if you have any questions, then.

I wouldn't say years of experience with linux, I've used linux at least on one system since Red Hat 9 Enterprise, even have the huge book for it. I tried CentOS, but I think I have the wrong version, the "Live CD", unlike other distros, does not offer an install option...

I'll look again :)

EDIT: I think I need the DVD version, only problem is the server has a CD reader >.>....guess I'll grab the 6 disc CD version.

well you could use the single cd, as i thought once you got linux on the net. you could run a command to have it go grab app,ect that you might need. would save you time Thid....

well you could use the single cd, as i thought once you got linux on the net. you could run a command to have it go grab app,ect that you might need. would save you time Thid....
Yup, doing that now, noticed it a few minutes ago and threw it in a virtual machine to test, works great.

CentOS is up and running, currently doing an update while trying to figure out where ifconfig is now >.>

nice!! o btw i think the PIII-933 might be a bit old for FAH, you could add them to the rosie team!! :)

After a few hours of tinkering, the webserver is up. You can view my test page (Folding information) here:

http://thenightshift.no-ip.biz

I'll get a real domain in the future. But YES, those are live numbers!

if i was in your shoes raid 10 or is it raid 0+1... stripe then mirrored incase a HD fails...

if i was in your shoes raid 10 or is it raid 0+1... stripe then mirrored incase a HD fails...
Or even RAID 6, hmm. Not sure what I will use this for, but I'm thinking new nightly backups while keeping the old ones :)

All digital media will be backed up (ISO of movies, games, etc)...wowza, I got a little space >.>

Back