• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which cores on which dies?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zagi

Hey,

On a q6600, which cores are on which dies? Is it C1 and C2 on one die and C3and C4 the other? Or is it C1 and C3 together, then C2 and C4 on the other die?

The reason I ask is because cores 1 and 3 are almost always, exactly, 10c higher than cores 2 and 4. As I'm typing this I've had OCCT running for a 1/2 hour and cores 1&3 are both at 58c, while cores 2&4 are at 47c and 48c respectively.

I'm going to guess either my cpu or heatsink isnt close to flat. Am I right?

It could be a number of things. It's normal for core's temps to differ from eachother. This applies to both Dual Cores and Quads.

Maybe it could be the IHS isn't perfectly flat, or the heatsink isn't perfectly flat. It can also be the cores under the IHS. Who knows :shrug:

It would'nt hurt to lap the sink and/or the IHS. There is no garantee that your temps will drop after that tho.

Its not the cooler, it was reaseated recently, but this has been going on for over a year.

I ran the sensor test several times and it almost always came up with a movement of 10 or 11.

sensors.jpg

its prob just something to do with the chip iteself, but these are not hurting you at all nor are the high enough to be alerted by them. I would take it as "computer error" and be happy glad that nothing is overheating. Lapping would be the only other thing that could possibly help, unless you like gooped up some thermal grease on one side. Have you read the diffs between dual core and quad core thermal grease application????

That would be from poor contact between the heatsink and the CPU. Assuming that the heatsink is applied evenly and with good pressure, I think this may be a thermal paste issue, either too much, or unevenly spread.

I used to get a spread of about 8°C+ idle or load after lapping the CPU and Heatsink and making sure I got the TIM application right (that took me a few goes to get it as good as it is now. TRIAL AND ERROR.) My spread over all cores is now about 3°C -4°C idle and only about 2°C - 3°C under load Prime95 or the like. My temps dropped a fair bit as well after lapping. At the moment my temps are 39/37/38/37 with an ambient temp of about 28°C or 82°F.
I know a lot of people here say lapping (and they are most likely correct) does nothing to even out core temps. But in my case I think it did make a bit of a difference.:D

Back