• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sub $100 router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaymz9350

My friend is looking for a sub $100 router to replace his now dead netgear (not sure what model) that's not a netgear as this is the second one he's had die on him. I'm not at all familiar with what's available these days and have only had experience with the Linksys WRT54's and my ASUS RT-N12. Preferably it would be something available from the Columbus Ohio microcenter as he currently has no WIFI for any of his devices.

WNDR 4700 can be had for well under $100 on Amazon, now, and has a slot for a hard drive if he wants a very basic NAS, but that's Netgear. I've been much happier with my Netgear hardware than other brands, FWIW. Perhaps your friend needs to invest in a surge protector? Get something that can have OpenWRT put on it, as that will almost always greatly improve any router.

Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H - $84

Last edited:
He just needs simple and effective, he is not at all tech savy lol. He only needs to be able to use 1 hardwired desktop and 1 wireless laptop and 1 or 2 consoles. And I personally have nothing against Netgear as I've never used them but he isn't happy and wants to go away from them.

He just needs simple and effective, he is not at all tech savy lol. He only needs to be able to use 1 hardwired desktop and 1 wireless laptop and 1 or 2 consoles.

Doesn't matter. If you want stability that you won't have to go provide constant tech support for, get OpenWRT on the thing. I had a Linksys WRT350N and Netgear WNDR3700, both of which have some pretty bad reviews on stock firmware, running for years with practically zero issues beyond occasionally having to do a manual power cycle after power outages. Wouldn't trust my grandparents with anything else :p

Back