• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Newegg Sales

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I haven't had any problems with my 520. It's been my os drive for the last 3 or 4 years and not a single blue screen or anything lol, and the drive still shows 100% health :thup:

Unlike my revodrive :mad:

I see it as your either paying for longevity or speed. There's no real happy medium.

My 30 gig cache drive took a dump on me but it was only 20 bucks so meh....

I see it as your either paying for longevity or speed. There's no real happy medium.

My 30 gig cache drive took a dump on me but it was only 20 bucks so meh....

Not really. If you're paying, you get plenty of both. It's when you don't pay that you get crap like a V300 :)

The pny situation isn't nearly as bad as the Kingston one imo. Pny uses multiple controllers, one of which is the sandforce that doesn't do well with incompressible data. So in some ways the sandforce controller wins, and in others the silicon motion controller wins. It's not an across the board significantly worse in every way drive like the v300 is.

It's not about if it's better or not, it's about the integrity of the company. They still did the same bate and switch as Kingston, and for that reason I will never purchase anything from either company again.

Just so we are clear, pny ran out of low end controllers for their low end drive that had no advertised controller, and substituted a higher end controller in its place, essentially giving people a better drive. And for that they get lumped in with Kingston who started shipping a drive that was about 30% as fast as the original.

8/6/2014

I actually have two of those Samsung 2.5" drives in RAID0 in an external enclosure for over a year now. Slow, but pretty reliable. Been bumped several times now and still ticking. Err, not ticking. Running fine.

How are those Western Digital Red drives from a Desktop Data Storage Perspective? Advantageous over Blue? Is the added price for reliability noteworthy? I'll probably just end up with another Black, but figured I'd ask.

How are those Western Digital Red drives from a Desktop Data Storage Perspective? Advantageous over Blue? Is the added price for reliability noteworthy? I'll probably just end up with another Black, but figured I'd ask.

The Reds are nice, the added support can be a bonus i guess, haven't needed it as of yet. Quieter than the Blacks but they do take a performance hit. Though if you're looking to use em as backup/redundancy drives, they're perfect.

3yr. vs 5yr. warranty on the Red vs. Blacks, too. That alone makes me primarily use Blacks, I figure you pay for better performance over a longer warranty period, worth the added price IMO. But if you are looking for quieter yet still good performing drive, and the added benefits over the Blue series, Reds are worth a look.

Edit:
Looking at that Newegg ad for the Red 3TB, I'm not sure why they list "Longer warranty coverage" as a bullet at the top of the page, as they have the same warranty period as the Green, Blue, and Purple series.... :confused:

Back