• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audio Pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh forgot, new camera, I can post a decent picture of my custom IEMs now. Currently these are winning over my Stax rig. $2750 vs $1500.. $1500 winning...

83182810_UERM.jpeg

No, they were $800, but the desktop amp I'm using with them was $700. The Stax was $1750 for the headphones and $1000 for the amp hence $1500 vs $2750.

No, they were $800, but the desktop amp I'm using with them was $700. The Stax was $1750 for the headphones and $1000 for the amp hence $1500 vs $2750.

Thanks for bringing me up to speed :thup:

Considering all of that, it seems like a fair price now :D

I actually wouldnt mind giveing some of these setup's you guys have posted a whirl.

Curious why you didn't go with the O2? I'm tapping my foot waiting on the ODA to come out so I can finally get an Objective, but in a form factor that makes any sort of sense for me.

I am using it for a mobile set up. I am also waiting for the ODA/ODAC

I am using it for a mobile set up. I am also waiting for the ODA/ODAC

Ah! I don't really think the multi-box portable stuff makes any sense unless you are using it in a transportable sense, taking to and from a place where you will listen there, not on the bus or something. Just too many distractions and too much noise while on the go. Even then, though, if you aren't carrying some kind of bag, it's a drag to carry the extra stuff with you.

Ah! I don't really think the multi-box portable stuff makes any sense unless you are using it in a transportable sense, taking to and from a place where you will listen there, not on the bus or something. Just too many distractions and too much noise while on the go. Even then, though, if you aren't carrying some kind of bag, it's a drag to carry the extra stuff with you.

I have it piggy packed onto my iPod and some Sure SE215s (for now). It's not hard to transport around at all. I use it when on the move, like if going out shopping or something, working out, et cetera.

Sweet! Whatcha think?

I'm in the middle of a sell off cycle keeping only my WA6 Bifrost and UERM. Ordering in a custom all black HD800, Bryston BHA-1 amp in black, Schiit Mjolnir, and Schiit Gungnir the balanced amp and DAC and custom balanced cables for my UERM and HD800. Very likely to sell the Bifrost and WA6 when I get the new stuff assuming one of the amps plays nicely with my UERM.

38747a28_setup.jpeg

Sweet! Whatcha think?

I'm in the middle of a sell off cycle keeping only my WA6 Bifrost and UERM. Ordering in a custom all black HD800, Bryston BHA-1 amp in black, Schiit Mjolnir, and Schiit Gungnir the balanced amp and DAC and custom balanced cables for my UERM and HD800. Very likely to sell the Bifrost and WA6 when I get the new stuff assuming one of the amps plays nicely with my UERM

The Lyr definitely improved the low end of my HE-500s. There is a much more pronounced BOOM to my bass, and brings the treble a little more forward so that cymbal decay is just delicious. The mids are still as juicy as ever. I am quite happy with the unit so far. It didn't morph the headphones into a totally new pair, but the Lyr shows significant improvement over my Micro Stack. I only had about an hour or so to really test drive it last night, but plan to spend a much more extensive amount of time with it tonight and to also try out my HD650s on it.

I'm really curious about Schiit's new stuff coming. I probably should of waited until their new stuff came out and scarfed up a used Lyr for cheap. Might be able to grab a Bifrost however in the near future. If that Bifrost as USB input, let me know when you sell it ;)

I'm still also really interested in the completed O2/ODAC desktop system.

Any reason you're moving to the HD800? I figured those Stax you have would hold you over quite well :D

My Bifrost is no USB.

I'll be picking up the ODAC/O2 also when it comes out.

The Stax sounds great, but there's a piercing quality from the treble that I don't like and is tiring after a few hours. There's a spike at 9KHZ of 12dB which is rather large, but not as large as Beyer T1s in the same spot, which I really didn't like. I'd heard the SR-007 a few times at meets and thought it might do well at home, and it did sound better at home, but also the treble spike was not as noticeable at the meet as it is at home.

HD800 has it's peak at about 6KHz which is actually a worse place to have a peak, but it is far smaller at only 4-5dB and some samples have had even smaller or no peak there. Overall the treble is far smoother in response but is elevated more than the SR-007. I've heard the HD800 several times and initially was not impressed. The last show I went to I liked the HD800 on almost every rig so I think it will be a safe bet. This is why I went ahead with a customized all-black model instead of buying a used regular looking model.

Stereo, living room:

Sources:
Sony 222ES SACD 5-disc changer
Logitech Squeezebox Touch

Preamp:
Outlaw RR2150

Amp:
Emotiva XPA-2

Speakers:
GR AV-1s, DIY

Sub:
Dual Emotiva Ultra-12

Accessories:
Christmas tree
Red Squid (Red Cthulu) who guards the house when I am away.

Attachments

• IMG_1231-HTsmall.jpg
    IMG_1231-HTsmall.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 266
Looks nice. I wonder about the sub placements though. One in a corner the other right next to a wall also.

That bay window must be odd on acoustics. The Emotiva stuff is great bang for the buck gear.

Room gain, right? The frequency response was measurably improved. When I added the second one by the wall the couple nulls I had previously were much less pronounced.

The whole setup sounds pretty good overall. I just want moar speaker. The AV-1s only have so much dynamic range. Haven't found the limits of the subs, and not sure I really want/need to.

I might try to pick up some older Klipsch models eventually. Still have yet to build my Exodus HT (2641 mains, LCR center, 61 rears).

I'm really happy with the Emotiva amp. The RR2150 has plenty of power and can drive the snot out of the AV1s, but I'm building up in steps.

Other purchases this year:
Emotiva XSP1 to swap out the 2150, which will go to computer duty to power my FR125 full rangers.
Emotiva XMC1 as a beginning of the real HT setup.

You might check out Magneplanar 1.7s they are $600 a pair and have a great return policy. One of my friends in Austin uses the Emotiva monoblocks with them and he loves them. He's still trying out subs to match with them.

Glad to hear the bass is good in those positions since they seem to be convenient. My sub is in a really weird spot in my room but that's where it sounds best. If I was more serious about my 2 channel setup I'd have 2, but as it is I rarely listen to it since I prefer headphones far and away.

I haven't gotten too serious about sub placement because of the awkwardness of my rooms. I'm also a fan of symmetry in placement.

I really wanted to get 4x Tempest X2s or a pair of Maelstrom X sub drivers. Too bad DIY Cable ceased driver production. Now I'm waiting on CSS to crank out their SDX15 Mark II drivers. May just have to break down at get the TC Sounds LMS 5400 18"s to plumb the depths.

I had a set of Monsoon planar computer speakers and really liked them. Those Magnepans are power hungry. I know the XPA-2 should be able to handle them but what does it take for them to "come alive" without roasting them?

200W into 4 ohms will do it and the Emotiva UPA-1 can handle that, quite easily actually (200W @ 8ohm 350W @ 4ohm). They are pretty affordable too at $350 each (mono blocks). Your XPA-2 can do the job also with 250W x 2 @ 4ohm.

Last edited:
Actually it's the Magneplanar MMG not the 1.7. Not sure how I got those mixed up.

Back