• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project plex server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes another ES Xeon plex server lol. They are a steal

32gb-running.png

That's crazy that you can get those CPUs for under $200, ES or not.

You could always virtualize the setup and run a FreeNAS setup virtualized and still have Windows workstations virtualized too if you'd want to go that route. But for the cost you paid you couldn't ask for much more even if 90% of the cores will never be utilized.

how much this rig end up costing in the end.... love the project!

Here's the breakdown from a previous post:
Parts list:
E5-2630 V4 - $145
Asrock x99m Extreme4 - $169.99 (after MIR)
32GB crucial ballistix - $125
TJ08B - $22.50 (after shipping)
Corsair H80i - $27 (after shipping)
Corsair CX650M - $30
Nvidia GTX 650 - $30
2xHGST 4TB Deskstar NAS drives - already had
1xHGST 2TB Ultrastar 7K3000 - already had
250GB Samsung 850 evo - already had

Total: $550 - a little more than I wanted to spend, but selling the mediasmart server should help me recoup a decent portion of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes another ES Xeon plex server lol. They are a steal

32gb-running.png

How much did you pay for your 2650 if you don't mind me asking? I think the ES was the best way to get some decent cpu power for cheap. I've been extremely happy with it, transcoding 4k movies to my cell phone from hundreds of miles away is awesome.

That's crazy that you can get those CPUs for under $200, ES or not.

You could always virtualize the setup and run a FreeNAS setup virtualized and still have Windows workstations virtualized too if you'd want to go that route. But for the cost you paid you couldn't ask for much more even if 90% of the cores will never be utilized.

I had considered virtualizing things, I'm pretty lazy though, lol. With school I don't have a ton of time to mess around with it, and I haven't had one issue with server yet...

How much did you pay for your 2650 if you don't mind me asking? I think the ES was the best way to get some decent cpu power for cheap. I've been extremely happy with it, transcoding 4k movies to my cell phone from hundreds of miles away is awesome.

I got this one months ago and paid $270 or so they are down in the 190-200 range now

I got this one months ago and paid $270 or so they are down in the 190-200 range now

I was tempted to get the 2650 but I just couldn't pass up this QS 2630. Either way it's probably overkill for my usage...

So a little update to this.

I had a couple of BSODs on the server and thought windows had offed itself. Turns out one of the sticks of memory went bad. Sent it in to crucial and 3 days later I had a new stick.

I also picked up a used 1060 3gb from a schoolmate for $80!! I was going to throw it in the server for F@H and to be a dedicated steam stream machine, but I think I may sell my 980TI and use that since I don't game much anymore :(
I did do a couple of loops of firestrike and time spy just for fun.

Just scored a 3 3.5" hotswap bay to fill up the 2 5.25" slots on the case for free on ebay using ebay bucks and their $15 off of $75. I don't have anything to put in it yet, but gives me another few bays, lol.

Another update to this. The server has been running great but I've decided to make some changes:

I purchased a 256GB SM951 NVMe drive to use as the OS drive - should be pretty peppy.

I also purchased a e5-2683 V3 to put in place of the E5-2630 V4. I know it's a gen behind and will run hotter, but there are tricks to get V3 xeons to run at a higher clock speed (the 2683 can run at 3ghz on all 14 cores...). I'm stoked to try it out, not that I need the extra processing power, but it'll help with decoding 4k videos even faster...

Got the 2683 V3 in and it's a pretty peppy little CPU.

2630 V4 cinebench:
Capture.PNG

2683 V3 cinebench:
Cinebench.PNG

Next on the list is overclocking it via the CPU microcode bug...

And the results are in:

Cinebench 3.0ghz.PNG

Thanks to the microcode bug I can run all 14 cores at 3ghz!

I can't force my 2683V4 to run at 3ghz thanks to the C612 board I am using having a lack of options.

p1kalmig2k.jpg

I think that was around 2-2.4ghz or something like that.

I can't force my 2683V4 to run at 3ghz thanks to the C612 board I am using having a lack of options.

p1kalmig2k.jpg

I think that was around 2-2.4ghz or something like that.

If you had a V3 you could force it, just would have to remove the microcode from the bios... Wish it worked on V4s though...

If you wanted some "light" reading on the whole microcode bug check this thread out:
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/what-controls-turbo-core-in-xeons.2496647/

- - - Updated - - -

funny how a bug gives improved performance.

Yep, I can't complain getting an extra 600mhz from each of the 14 cores due to it...

If you had a V3 you could force it, just would have to remove the microcode from the bios... Wish it worked on V4s though...

If you wanted some "light" reading on the whole microcode bug check this thread out:
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/what-controls-turbo-core-in-xeons.2496647/

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, I can't complain getting an extra 600mhz from each of the 14 cores due to it...

Honestly everything I have it doing I rarely see it even kick up to the 1600mhz base clockspeed.

Honestly everything I have it doing I rarely see it even kick up to the 1600mhz base clockspeed.

Yeah makes sense to me. I was stoked to do the V3 in combination with the 1060, I think it'll be a decent steam stream machine...

Yeah makes sense to me. I was stoked to do the V3 in combination with the 1060, I think it'll be a decent steam stream machine...

I don't even use it for that. Literally just plex and kodi streaming. I bet the 4k movies I have will make it do something with plex, but that is it.

Back