• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

updating mac pro 10.5.8 to 10.9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raident30

i have a mac pro that i use in work that's running 10.5.8 and i want it to upgrade to 10.9. im not sure what's the exact model of this mac pro but here is the specs:

Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHZ Two Processors
4GB 667MHZ DDR2 RAM
7300 GT

can anyone tell me the step by step process on how do i upgrade it to 10.9?

Thanks in advance guys!:D:D:D

:comp:

Looks like you have the original Mac Pro. unfortunately the hardware for that is only upgradable to 10.7.5 and the process for that looks like you can get a copy of 10.6 then get another copy of 10.7

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

You may have luck calling the 1800-my-apple line and they may even send out free copy of OS X 10.6 (otherwise they still sell on it on the store for $20 or ebay/amazon for cheaper?)

Looks like you have the original Mac Pro. unfortunately the hardware for that is only upgradable to 10.7.5 and the process for that looks like you can get a copy of 10.6 then get another copy of 10.7

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

You may have luck calling the 1800-my-apple line and they may even send out free copy of OS X 10.6 (otherwise they still sell on it on the store for $20 or ebay/amazon for cheaper?)

what he said, however, i think there is a way to "trick" the software to look as if it is running 64 bit EFI boot code. i'm not going into detail other than that because of forum rules ;).

the reason you cant upgrade to ML, or mavericks and beyond is because 1,1 and 2,1 mac's are 32 bit EFI native and not fully 64 bit EFI, even though they are 64 bit cpu's.

a bit of advice, you might be able to buy a 3,1 logic board and upgrade your hardware from there, you will not have issues with the legacy EFI after that. so keep scrounging ebay for a 3,1 logic!

luckily my 3,1 is 64 bit efi enabled, so i lucked out.

hello guys! sorry for the very long time before i replied. i needed to upgrade the video card before i can upgrade to maverick therefor for me, its not worth it. thanks for the replies...

Back