• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux shutdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

i have a dx48bt2 board that has been running ubuntu 14.04 for about a week already and it has been working just as it should the entire time. the only problem i have with it though is that when i shutdown the computer, it will hang on shutdown. rarely will it ever shutdown correctly.

the computer is not overclocking and i already tried reseting bios settings but that did not resolve the issue. is there some sort of permanent fix for this issue or should i just change the board out for another socket 775 board?

When you do the shutdown, what screen is it on when it stops responding?

I'd start with a CMOS reset to make sure there isn't a strange or faulty setting that would prevent it from shutting down. Another good place to look is the system log to see if it is throwing an error when shutting down.

When you do the shutdown, what screen is it on when it stops responding?

I'd start with a CMOS reset to make sure there isn't a strange or faulty setting that would prevent it from shutting down. Another good place to look is the system log to see if it is throwing an error when shutting down.

already tried a cmos reset. no dice.

im stuck at the part where it shows "ubuntu" with the dots on teh bottom and i dont see the dots doing anything.

Open a terminal(Ctrl + Alt + T) or from the Desktop menu.

Type "sudo shutdown -h now", give password and hit "enter".

Do you get a shutdown, or does it still hang?

Edit:

or, hit ctrl+alt+Fn(Function key) to switch to tty virtual terminal, then login. From there do the "sudo shutdown -h now" and see if you're getting a clean shutdown.

Last edited:
Have you run diagnostics to check the OS drive's "health"? Or, do you have reason to suspect an issue with the motherboard itself?

i suspect its the way this board is with linux. i ran different distros on different drives and i get the same problems. just dont know if there is a fix for boards like this one here.

it shuts down normally with windows, but not with linux.

i suspect its the way this board is with linux. i ran different distros on different drives and i get the same problems. just dont know if there is a fix for boards like this one here.

it shuts down normally with windows, but not with linux.

Hmmm. Just curious, been searching "14.04 shutdown bug" and seeing a lot of hits. Looking for a common thread, do you have Cairo-Dock installed by chance?

no. if you like, specs are in my signature. GAK-COREi runs fine with ubuntu linux 14.04 even on shutdown and startup, but not GAK-CORE2

Have you looked at /var/log/syslog as Thiddy suggested to see if there are errors during shutdown.

In my experience usually shutdown problems are related to a problem unmounting drives

If you pull up Terminal during shutdown it should show what process it is hanging at.

alternate option.

sudo shutdown -p now. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1046681

"invalid option" is what it said. while in terminal, i tried sudo shutdown -s now but it showed me the shutdown splash screen and hte keyboard became unresponsive so i could not see what error it was stuck at.

Have you looked at /var/log/syslog as Thiddy suggested to see if there are errors during shutdown.

In my experience usually shutdown problems are related to a problem unmounting drives

i did, but im not sure which one im suppose to post since i see syslog and syslog1...

its trying to shutdown but it cant. it looks like it freezes when i reach the shutdown splash screen because i cant make numlock turn on or off and my laser mouse shows no sign of laser activity when moved.

Back