• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

run win antivirus from a linux live distro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Can it be done?

I know that you can surf the net and do a few other things from a decent live Linux distro, but how about doing something really productive, like running antivirus software on a crippled wintel machine?

How would you access drive C?

That is one thing I don't get...why can't I see any drives in linux in my home folder? or they in the root...I just looked at root, no drives show there either?

I feel like a new computer user running Linux. Kinda like the old Dos win3.1 days, except back then, all we had was POTS for the net..no cable, no dsl, and overclocking was all done in hardware e.g. jumper settings.

Can it be done?

I know that you can surf the net and do a few other things from a decent live Linux distro, but how about doing something really productive, like running antivirus software on a crippled wintel machine?

How would you access drive C?

That is one thing I don't get...why can't I see any drives in linux in my home folder? or they in the root...I just looked at root, no drives show there either?

I feel like a new computer user running Linux. Kinda like the old Dos win3.1 days, except back then, all we had was POTS for the net..no cable, no dsl, and overclocking was all done in hardware e.g. jumper settings.

it should be in /media if i remember correctly, but you first need to mount it and thats the part i dont remember. Also if it's a win8 machine and you have fast shutdown enable you won't be able to mount the drive because the ntfs session is not closed by winders(had to reinstall 8 close the session and then proceed with mouting the drive in mint).

There is no need for a Windows based anti-virus as it will be severely limited in functionality, if it even runs. Use clam instead.

When you say "access C", do you mean the root filesystem? If so, that is /

Additional drives are mounted within this file structure, which in my opinion, makes a heck of a lot more sense than drive letters.

Uh, let me explain..my friend has a windows machine and I think it has either malware, or a virus and want to clean it out. can ClamAV do what I need? in a live session?

If it can be done, then I would accomplish two things...one is getting his computer working again, and the other is demonstrating how much better linux is at avoiding these issues.

I would still need access to the windows drive either way.

His system runs Vista.. yuck.

Oh and one thing I forgot about..will I need a distro that has antivirus already built into the OS?

ClamAV would help, but it would be better running software from a functional Windows machine. I would take the drive and drop it in another system.

If the OS on that drive isn't running, it is safe as long as you aren't running files from the disk.

If someone gave me a drive that was infected, I'd ask them what files they want off it, nuke the drive, and start a clean Windows install. I've cleaned enough systems throughout my life* that I don't touch anything but the most basic infections.

*Worked as a college help desk technician and residential network technician in the dorms. You wouldn't believe the systems I had brought to me.

I found an interesting article about it but in the comments below the article some people provided a few links to some pretty promising stuff

here

I'm D'l'ing Dr.Web now to test it out and see. I may check out the others also..Those could be good to have in the old tool kit.

Back