• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yate Loons no good to pair with dual heatercore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
voigts said:
Yes, but is that 3k difference between quiet 600rpm fans and louder 1200rpm fans enough to keep one from max overclock? I sure don't claim to be an expert overclocker, but there is only so much voltage you can pump through a CPU, MB, and GPU regardless of temps. In other words, it probably isn't going to make a difference if your CPU is at 47c or 50c when it comes to overclocking. So do screaming loud fans really gain you anything at all if you have a good setup? Maybe, but maybe not.

I guess like most things, it depends. If the MB is already pumping max voltage and the CPU temp is at 47C or 50C, then another 600CFM probably isn't going to make any difference.

On the other hand, what if the MB still has some voltage headroom and the CPU temps are in the mid to upper 50's or low 60's and the rad is a BIGT, BIGT Xflow, or NexXxos Extreme? Those rads all showed the biggest drop in coollant temp when going from 600CFM to 1200CFM, anywhere from 5.7K to 7.1K depending on the rad. I don't know what kind of CPU temp delta a 7.1K drop in coolant temp would equate to, but it might end up being worth it to someone, not me as I wouldn't be able to stand the noise, but there are those out there who wouldn't care about it.

I'd have to say the Sanyo Denki's are much louder than the Yate Loons. Even when undervolted. A Yate Loon @7v is virtually dead silent to me, even @ 12v its still audible but not that loud. A Denki on the other hand...@ 12 its screaming loud, and @ 7v, its "quiet" but you can hear the motor whine. I guess to personal preference thats why I wont use them, it seems to give me headaches when I sleep. Other than that they are very good fans to use.

there are a ton of san ace 120s out there...you have to make sure you have the right ones and they often require peeling back the sticker and relubing with a high quality lube (any bearing that sits in a box for awhile will need re-lubing).

anyway, the correct model is 109R1212H1011

if they are properly lubed and mounted, they provide performance at a volume level that is hard to believe. if weaponized, they are even better. :D

edit: why does the monstercore never manage to appear in any of these rad test charts? :D
BMC1.jpg

Last edited:
I think the reviewers are scared of it. They probably don't want to loose fingers handling something with so many fans ;).

voigts said:
Where in the world have you been hiding weapon? It is good to see you back.

My new job has been royally kicking my arse. It was going to be less work but then 2 of our attorneys went elsewhere and I was yet again buried in cases. I have now been at the new job for close to a year and it is finally showing signs of letting up ever so slightly. lol - that is just about my average luck...

Moto7451 said:
I think the reviewers are scared of it. They probably don't want to loose fingers handling something with so many fans ;).

it would be kind of a boring graph anyway -- kind of a flat line really close to ambient temp straight across the chart. :D

I admit that the monstercore is not really practical size-wise for the average watercooling system (unless you are like some of us that have massive boxes that somehow manage to take on a life of their own and grow as they get older). On the other hand, surface area is still the favorite son of the laws of physics/thermodynamics.

btw, anyone watch "what in the bleep do we know?" or look at the dark field water crystal photos of Masaru Emoto? :eh?: :confused: Quantum mechanics is fun stuff....I was tempted to label my distilled water with the words "cool" and "cold" before adding it to my cooling system after looking at the info on how he obtained specific water crystal photos... :D

weapon said:
btw, anyone watch "what in the bleep do we know?" or look at the dark field water crystal photos of Masaru Emoto? Quantum mechanics is fun stuff....I was tempted to label my distilled water with the words "cool" and "cold" before adding it to my cooling system after looking at the info on how he obtained specific water crystal photos...

I have, and was dissapointed when I read the facts of his water crystals. He was offered to repeat his results in a true scientific study for millions of dollars if he could pull it off. He denied the challenge and it is common knowledge today you can get those kinds of images by just looking randomly around the ice crystals and applying light. His refusal of a double blind study made me lose all confidence of any facts without spin in that video.

weapon said:
My new job has been royally kicking my arse. It was going to be less work but then 2 of our attorneys went elsewhere and I was yet again buried in cases. I have now been at the new job for close to a year and it is finally showing signs of letting up ever so slightly. lol - that is just about my average luck...

btw, anyone watch "what in the bleep do we know?" or look at the dark field water crystal photos of Masaru Emoto? :eh?: :confused: Quantum mechanics is fun stuff....I was tempted to label my distilled water with the words "cool" and "cold" before adding it to my cooling system after looking at the info on how he obtained specific water crystal photos... :D

Work can be a pain, can't it?

I hadn't seen those crystal photos, but they are pretty funky. I might buy the vibrations thing, but I seriously have a hard time with the taping a word on the container thing.

If this is the case, maybe I need to tape the words "love growing money" on a tree in the back yard and pour distilled water onto it.

The Sanyo Denki's aren't bad if you have a fan controller on them. Just make sure the controller isn't the PWM type.

They are louder than Yate Loons, even at 7v.

If you want quiet and good pressure in a fan, Delta makes 120x38mm fans that undervolt to dead quiet. They're the LE version of their HE fans.

I have the yate loon led 120s -12L on my 2-342.
I don't overclock much but they're definitely the quietest 120s I've used.
lightedshroud%20003.jpg

my temps according to nVidia Monitor are 23C cpu/ 33c gpu[7900gt - stock]

the fans on the board and hd's are what I hear.

Wickedbear said:
I have, and was dissapointed when I read the facts of his water crystals. He was offered to repeat his results in a true scientific study for millions of dollars if he could pull it off. He denied the challenge and it is common knowledge today you can get those kinds of images by just looking randomly around the ice crystals and applying light. His refusal of a double blind study made me lose all confidence of any facts without spin in that video.

yes -- the follow up killed it but I am still tempted to label my distilled water "cold" for my own amusement. If you freeze distilled water, the end result is likely going to have some of the snow-flake effect (i.e. falling since the dawn of cold weather with no two being identical). If you have a frozen water sample of any size, you can surely poke around it with a microscope and find hundreds of different shapes formed by the crystals. While that movie has a certain "gee-whiz" factor it tends to fall through on closer examination.

side note on the san aces -I suppose it comes from them sitting on shelves for too long but I have received some that have somewhat dry bearings. Heat up the sticker with a blow dryer, carefully peel back the sticker and add a drop or two of high quality lube. It does wonders for the noise level.

*I wonder how many times I will end up editting this post to include more info...*

anyway, a rheobus is a good idea if you are going to use san ace 120s - at 12v they are rated around 103cfm each which is never going to be silent. At 7v, they are much quieter (especially when the bearing is properly lubed). IIRC, the sunbeam rheobus works well with them...hopefully, they haven't redesigned that one as the old one was good.

VballCoach said:
I have the yate loon led 120s -12L on my 2-342.
I don't overclock much but they're definitely the quietest 120s I've used.
my temps according to nVidia Monitor are 23C cpu/ 33c gpu[7900gt - stock]

the fans on the board and hd's are what I hear.

what kind of glowing-shroud-o-plexi is that on your 342? got any other pics?

Last edited:
It looks like the lights are from the fans and not the shroud itself.

Also one more quick question for you Weapon. Sorry I've been chasing you through like 5 different forums but wanted to ask when or if you were gonna get back into making cores and shrouds again? I tried emailing you in one of the other forums over 5 months ago but no reply.

sexy

Maviryk said:
The Sanyo Denki's aren't bad if you have a fan controller on them. Just make sure the controller isn't the PWM type.

They are louder than Yate Loons, even at 7v.

If you want quiet and good pressure in a fan, Delta makes 120x38mm fans that undervolt to dead quiet. They're the LE version of their HE fans.
yea i should correct my self the fan controller is actually sending under 7v to the denki, my bad.. he is right the denki at 7v is louder the a 47cfm yateloon on 12v.

XyberZ said:
It looks like the lights are from the fans and not the shroud itself.

Also one more quick question for you Weapon. Sorry I've been chasing you through like 5 different forums but wanted to ask when or if you were gonna get back into making cores and shrouds again? I tried emailing you in one of the other forums over 5 months ago but no reply.

5-6mos ago? Ugh - I was in the middle of about three separate infant homicide cases. hence, all work and no play. PM me in this forum and I will get back to you.

VballCoach said:
yea, the fans are Yate Loon 12L led fans. the shroud is made of 3/8", 1/4" and 1/8" Plexi

lolz. I was actually more curious about the shroud design than where the light was coming from -- I can't really make out much of the shroud in that pic but it looks interesting.

Evilsizer said:
sexy
yea i should correct my self the fan controller is actually sending under 7v to the denki, my bad.. he is right the denki at 7v is louder the a 47cfm yateloon on 12v.

the lightly modded san ace 120s I normally use are dead silent at 7v and still moving at least 47cfm+ In any event, cfm rating and noise level ratings are somewhat deceptive when you are talking about bolting fans to a heat exchanger - air pressure ratings must be taken into consideration and a lot of the so-called fan noise is actually air moving around the fins on the radiator.

Back