• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

19" Silicon Graphics monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zippykid9

I have access to an old 19" Silicon Graphics monitor from school, for free. if i could get it to work on my system, i could have dual 19's. That would be one awesome setup. (the downside being finding space on my desk for it all) The only problem is that the monitor uses SGI's proprietary connection. I've seen adapters for it like this one, though. I was wondering if anyone knows how well these work, if there are any potential compatibility issues i might have, or if i would be locked into lower resolutions and refresh rates (640X480@60hz just looks bad on a big monitor) I'm not sure if the monitor originally came with the indigo2 it was with at the school, but it might have been. (the indigo2's graphics card was fried and thats why the pieces are lying around to be given away) I looked online for an hour or so, but couldnt find any pictures of this monitor. I will find out what kind it is tomorrow at school, though.

alright i got the model number of the monitor "gdm-20d11. i did a google search on it, and found a few different methods for getting it to work on a pc. one way was to open up the case and install a resistor inside, and then to rewire the cable with a regular plug (because its mostly possible) but this didnt end up with very good image quality, so i left it alone. if you want, you can check out the site at: http://laurent.granjon.free.fr/electronique/sgi2pc_gb.htm but i searched a bit farther and found that people actually made devices for doing this easier. i found this site: http://www.monitorworld.com/Monitors/sony/gdm20d11.html which had links to two more methods of getting this monitor to work with a pc. the first method is to buy an adapter/sync converter because its not just the port thats different, its also that the monitor 'syncs on green' meaning that whenever the monitor receives the green signal, it updates the image on the screen. This solution isnt too expensive. (about $50) but the disadvantage is that it still wont work for lower refresh rates (the monitor only accepts one, and doesnt work with anything higher or lower than that) and your bios/boot screen wont be visible, nor will safe mode. this would definitely put the monitor, at least in my mind, as a good dual monitor for graphics work, but a poor solution for a primary one. The last solution is a bit more expensive. that is to buy a seperate pci or agp video card for the second monitor. that would fix all the problems mentioned above, but the performance of those video cards is not exactly wonderful and they're expensive. the best i found has 32mb ram and costs about $200, with the least among them having 4mb ram and costing $80! this would mean it would be fine for a non gaming machine, but for anything that needs high video card performance it would be bad. you could still use it as a secondary monitor, though. (but it would be cheaper to just buy the adapter then)

so all of you out there who have access to or currently have these monitors lying around or connected to unused workstations, you may be able to revive them.

one last note: the adapter i mentioned in the first post would not work, because all it does is move the signal. it still would send the wrong sync signal to the monitor. a sync converter is absolutely essential. (unless you know for a fact that your monitor is not a fixed frequency monitor. the monitorworld.com site probably will have your particular monitor though.

Good luck to you all!

Back