• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

moving user profile (documents and appdate, etc) from C: to E:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Corona2172

Hi all. I realized that my original post was in the wrong spot, so i'm reposting here. I just bought a new PC and have only installed my hardware drivers and anti-virus. However, I have decided i'm still going to do a clean install of windows. My question is this:

How do I go about moving all of my Users profiles, or just my Users/(my name) profile, from my SSD C: drive to my 2tb harddrive E:? The three things I want to move most are my documents folder, desktop and my appdata folder, as these fill up quickly and I have very little room on my SSD.

I've seen a few different ways of doing this, but most are written in a manner that I do not quite understand. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
You could use a freeware program like Steam Mover to move the files. Just make sure to make a new folder on the drive you want to move them to before trying to move them as it will not create a folder on it's own. There are a few more programs out there that are as good but I can't recall their names right now.
Edit, It was designed to move less often steam games to a secondary drive using junction points so that the OS thinks they are still in original folder but can also be used to move other folders as well.

Last edited:
Documents and Desktop folder can be redirected using the Properties of the folder, you'll see a Location tab.

As for AppData, you may want to consider using an mklink command.

Head into regedit and change the default folder locations...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

for example:

%USERPROFILE%\Downloads To D:\Downloads

Then copy the contents of the original files in the original folder to the new one.
You can do what you wish with the originals.

Back