• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It’s over. All AMD CPUs except for the expensive FX will be multiplier locked.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
The only AMD FX CPU listed on pricewatch.com costs $722. All others (including the always locked Opteron) are now manufactured with a locked multiplier.

It is now obvious that those few new CPUs that showed up as unlocked accidently slipped through:

""...we now have a policy to lock down the frequency of all the products so there’s one product that will continue to be open and it’s the FX product line."
Henri Richard, AMD Senior Vice President of Worldwide Sales and Marketing

The interview which contains these words was truly a Public Relations disaster.

"It seems to me AMD is clueless as to why you AMD fans are AMD fans. They seem to have you confused with Macsters.
Ed Stroligo: http://www.overclockers.com/articles911/

MHz Speed = [FSB] x multiplier

FSB depends on RAM so for 2500+ Bartons, make sure you get PC3200 RAM that overclocks to 220-230 FSB.

Note that this also means that all Socket 754 as well as Socket 939 Newcastle and Winchester CPUs will be locked except for Athlon 64 FX-51 and Athlon 64 FX-53.

Athlon 64 FX-55 is not scheduled to be released until the second half of 2004 so we can't count on any Athlon FX going down in price significantly for probably more than a year from now.
http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/

Very sad. Heh all this time I thought AMD "got it". Apparently they were just very lazy and never got around to treating us like they wanted to ;)

that's why if I ever buy amd chips (except 64 fx) I'm assuming the multi is locked so no surprise.. but I ain't gonna buy no more amd chips... I'm LEAVING amd platform devilfinger.gif and jump ship over to Intel.. banana.gif BYE BYE AMD... TAH TAH sign_welcome.gif

AMD has produced CPU's of its own design for how many years? Five or six years.

AMD produced LOCKED chips for what portion of those 5-6 years? About 80%

Even these last 14 to 16 months when AMD's chips were unlockable by the most modern boards, they were still setting multipliers in bridges.

When was the last unlocked Intel CPU (other than an Engineering Sample)?

Very heartbreaking news. I just swore allegiance to AMD in another thread for at least a year, in hopes that they would reconsider. Maybe if profits improve, they will. Until then, I will continue to use AMD, locked multis or not. I am not going to abandon them because they made a decision to try to save their company. No matter how bad that decision stings me. I wish them luck and hope they can recover.
Who knows, if things turn around, maybe the next greatest overclocker will be the XP4200 O/C Special, 69.95 at Newegg. (I can dream can't I :D )

Graphic67 said:
When was the last unlocked Intel CPU (other than an Engineering Sample)?
Wrong..........

at least the current and past gen P4 platforms offer high FSBs. Of course the multi is locked.. I used to be da bad arse Intel P2/P3 overclocker.... What does AMD offer in mega stability in games?.. what... 280FSB? LOL.. even a 200fsb is not stable in games NO THANK YOU... damn nforce2 boards...

Pikachu_Mommy said:

Wrong..........

at least the current and recent gen P4 platforms offer high FSBs. Of course the multi is locked.. I used to be da bad arse Intel P2/P3 overclocker.... What does AMD offer in mega stability in games?.. what... 280FSB? LOL.. even a 200fsb is not stable in games NO THANK YOU... damn nforce2 boards...

My machine is quite stable at 200+ fsb not only in Prime95 and F@H but in every game I play as well. I'm sure other nForce2 mobo owners can attest to the same thing.

Pikachu_Mommy said:
even a 200fsb is not stable in games NO THANK YOU... damn nforce2 boards...

Ehh perhaps some boards have issues running 200fsb in games, but there are plenty out there that do ;)

Cuda said:

My machine is quite stable at 200+ fsb not only in Prime95 and F@H but in every game I play as well. I'm sure other nForce2 mobo owners can attest to the same thing.
Unfortunately there are a lot of sh#tty nforce2 boards flowing around and won't be able to play games totally stably even at 200 fsb or even as low as 160fsb.. you can't never feel safe that your system is not gonna fail at 200fsb in games? You lose the sense of security because all the sudden.. WHAMMMM!!! fail on you. Intel P4 platforms will very unlikely happen at 200FSB LOL... it's very different platform know what I mean.. it's not the AMD chip company I hate.. it's the platform I hate.. now that the amd chips come locked.. well... that leaves no room.

Yes, this sucks. We can still overclock but not as easily as before - we can only play with those MB that support FSB changes.

This might make the "market" for un-locked Athlon chips (either new and/or used) pretty hot !!!

William

Deathknight said:

Ehh perhaps some boards have issues running 200fsb in games, but there are plenty out there that do ;)
you mean.... "but there are plenty out there that don't"... LOL

no no no no.. 200fsb is an example. mine fails at 160fsb. I'm sure 100fsb will work.. Where is my old Intel i440bx chipset?... stable at 150fsb? LOL

let's not get confused here.. I didn't say i hate AMD.. it's the platform and how poorly they are made. P4 still does have better support and way more mature than the amd platform.. I *might* return back to AMD when the 64FX and 939 platform completely matures.. and the price to drop.. until then, I can't do sh#t with AMD platform.. It's a bad time rite now..

Pikachu_Mommy said:

no no no no.. 200fsb is an example. mine fails at 160fsb. I'm sure 100fsb will work.. Where is my old Intel i440bx chipset?... stable at 150fsb? LOL

Maybe it's not the mobo. Sounds more to me like your RAM can't handle it.

Pikachu_Mommy instead off saying n-force2 boards are crap can u look at mine maybe its not the board just your a s*** overclocker i dont like flaming but u have really pi**ed me off

AMD is a good company i like there cpus and so do many other people. fair enuff u like wasting all your monry on a intel rig but ive got other things to buy as ive got a normal life and a really nice g/f but thats not the point i still wouldnt buy Intel if there CPU's was £40 cheaper

Cuda said:

Maybe it's not the mobo. Sounds more to me like your RAM can't handle it.
wrong....

:p

225mhzFSB 128bit DC FastDecode cas2-2-2-6 : PASS@ Memtest86.

Prime95?.. wayyyyyyy too easy.........

.... and this is why I say Prime95 is b.s....
superPi?... sure.......
don't even ask me about the folding.. let's talk about some 3Ds shall we? Oh yeah, I can run 3Dmark '01 upto 220FSB. This is why you can't only rely on 3Dmark either... it's no where near competitive to the intensive games.. and for long use.

Steven4563 said:
but thats not the point i still wouldnt buy Intel if there CPU's was £40 cheaper
it's not the money I'm after.. I don't care how much it costs.. it's gonna be more expensive than the current AMD chips now but what am I looking for.... "sense of security" in games LOL.. just to do that, I need a well matured P4 platform.. I can't even play games totally stable at 160fsb what good is it.... I put my chip and the rest of the hardware transfer over to KT600 board, I get NO PROBLEMS at upto 220FSB in games WITHOUT FAILING. That's explains how KT600 chipset is far more advanced than da stinky Nforce2 A1 ultra platform LOL..

Cuda said:
Yep, sounds like your RAM is the problem.
Re-read my previous reply again.. I think you read it backwards LOL

here you go... I'm so nice enough to quote it for you.. Read this quote again. and please.. read it properly.

Pikachu_Mommy said:

wrong....

:p

225mhzFSB 128bit DC FastDecode cas2-2-2-6 : PASS@ Memtest86.

Prime95?.. wayyyyyyy too easy.........

.... and this is why I say Prime95 is b.s....
superPi?... sure.......
don't even ask me about the folding.. let's talk about some 3Ds shall we? Oh yeah, I can run 3Dmark '01 upto 220FSB. This is why you can't only rely on 3Dmark either... it's no where near competitive to the intensive games.. and for long use.

Back