• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4400 X2 Toledo "89" watts. How is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
harlam357 said:
However, if you don't care about how long it lives... then volt the carp out of it and show us some records! :D (last statement not recommended)

LOL! Anyway, I guess my limit would be upto 1.55 only. Temps never exceeds 51C and that's at noon which is of course the hottest part of the day, usually it's only 46-48C on full load.

harlam357 said:
if you don't care about how long it lives... then volt the carp out of it and show us some records! :D (last statement not recommended)

I like that philosophy! Who really cares if overvolting reduces the lifespan of the chip anyways? It'll likely be obsolete before it dies.

freakdiablo said:
for most amds its usually ~1.65v.
That's too high for this chip. Not more than 1.55v if you have to, but around 1.40-1.45v overclocked daily use. I have mine @ 1.375v @ 2.75ghz.
I know i can go higher speed but that requires more vcore voltage. I like this 4400 and like to keep it for a good while, so I am taking it easy w/ OC and high vcore. you should too.

Just how hot can you get this processor without it failing at stock frequency and voltage? I just built a pc last night in a tight case, using an A8N32SLI-Deluxe. My temps in bios are 49C on the mb, and 50C on the processor using a Zalman 7700 on high speed, and Artic Silver at my thermal paste. And that's just sitting in Bios!

I think i'm running hot because my incoming airflow is blocked by cables and my biga$$ 7900GTO.

So how hot can i run it stock without it either failing or throttling because i dont see how i could fix the airflow issue short of getting a new case. Or does this processor throttle?

Thanks,
Azanon

azanon said:
Just how hot can you get this processor without it failing at stock frequency and voltage? I just built a pc last night in a tight case, using an A8N32SLI-Deluxe. My temps in bios are 49C on the mb, and 50C on the processor using a Zalman 7700 on high speed, and Artic Silver at my thermal paste. And that's just sitting in Bios!

I think i'm running hot because my incoming airflow is blocked by cables and my biga$$ 7900GTO.

So how hot can i run it stock without it either failing or throttling because i dont see how i could fix the airflow issue short of getting a new case. Or does this processor throttle?

Thanks,
Azanon
You need to get bigger case. Check Enermax case, Got a big *** fan on side panel.
If you want it to throttle, you have to install AMD Cool n Quiet driver first.
Then go to bios and enable Cool nQ. Then in windows go to display property, Screen saver tab, power setting tab, and change it to laptop. It will throttle like hell for you. down to 5x multi and up to 11x. The vcore can not go higher than stock if you enable CnQ
Also Go to this site below to set hot fixes, and dual core optimizer as added features:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429

ochungry said:
The vcore can not go higher than stock if you enable CnQ
Weelll - that's only kinda' sorta' right since we're talking about an A8N32-SLI. Yes, you have to set the vCore setting to [Auto] BUT you can [Enable] the "Over-voltage CPU" setting, which adds another 0.200v to the vCore. My machine takes 1.45v for 2.7 GHz on manual and I ran it w/CnQ for ~3 weeks with no problems. Then I started crunching for SETI and didn't have a use for CnQ ...

QuietIce said:
Weelll - that's only kinda' sorta' right since we're talking about an A8N32-SLI. Yes, you have to set the vCore setting to [Auto] BUT you can [Enable] the "Over-voltage CPU" setting, which adds another 0.200v to the vCore. My machine takes 1.45v for 2.7 GHz on manual and I ran it w/CnQ for ~3 weeks with no problems. Then I started crunching for SETI and didn't have a use for CnQ ...
I guess you are right. I forgot a bout vcore + % over stock on DFI.
You can almost get away w/ this restriction on any motherboard if you know how to fool the vcore feedback. For example: with a 15k resistor soldered the the Asrock motherboard's vcore feedback you can have same effect as DFI's vcore setting. I can set the vcore to 1.350v in bios and with the resistor the final vcore is 1.480v. The bios is fooled, thus the CnQ works.
You can change the resistor's value (10k, 12k, 15k, 20K, etc) to get you different percentage of added vcore.
But for those who dont overclock, dont do voltmod, and dont have a board like yours (Or DFI) then the vcore has to be set to stock in bios.
Thanks for heads up.

ochungry said:
You need to get bigger case. Check Enermax case, Got a big *** fan on side panel.
If you want it to throttle, you have to install AMD Cool n Quiet driver first.
Then go to bios and enable Cool nQ. Then in windows go to display property, Screen saver tab, power setting tab, and change it to laptop. It will throttle like hell for you. down to 5x multi and up to 11x. The vcore can not go higher than stock if you enable CnQ
Also Go to this site below to set hot fixes, and dual core optimizer as added features:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429

No i dont want it to throttle, because i assume that means the CPU slows down at times. I'm a gamer so I want it running at full speed at all times and i dont need stuttering from slowdowns.

My question is just how much abuse, temperature wise, can this processor take if only running stock clock rate and voltage, because going to a new case would be a major ordeal i'd just assume avoid. I know this is an overclocker's forum, but i figured some of you guys would be knowleable about this.

Spec'd max is 71C on the 89W and 65C on the 110W 4400 I believe. So you're already close sitting idle in bios. You need more airflow (exhaust first... then bring in the fresh air).

Dropping my 0609FPMW in a different board tomorrow... where my 144 now resides. I'll post up numbers if I do any better. That cpu didn't want to do over 2.6GHz without excess voltage so I'm hoping for 290x9 1:1 since the TCCD in that rig is (and has been) doing 290MHz for months now with the 144. Cooling will be a ThermalRight Ultra-90 coupled with a Delta 92mm HHE 72cfm. :thup:

Just installed my new Ninja....temps are okay, but don't seem as good as my xp90c....I guess I could remount it just incase....

PWMIC temps are up A LOT though, since the fan no longer blows down on the MB...I hope this won't effect my OC at all...I guess we'll see.

BTW, I'm sitting daily at 2.96ghz @ 1.5v. No probs at all, but it doesn't look like I'll get the 3.0ghz :( But I still can't complain :)

iLLestOne said:
No probs at all, but it doesn't look like I'll get the 3.0ghz :( But I still can't complain :)

Good to hear that it's rock solid at that speed, what are your load PWMIC temps?

Well it used to be 36-40, MAX load. Usually around 38 or so. Now, just from playing cs:s for awhile, it got up to 45c.....

I mean my comp. is MUCH quieter...night and day, but still sucks that the fan doesn't blow down onto the mb....

Right now I have it blowing air from the front of the case to the back, and there is a 120mm exhaust right there. Should I do this, or should I blow it from top to bottom? My videocard is RIGHT under the cpu, so the air would be blowing on the back of that....

EDIT: BTW, I have 2x120mm and a 250mm intake, 2x90, and 2x120mm exhaust (1 120mm is my ps fan)

My PWMIC temps under load go from 45-55c and that's with a 120mm fan on the heatsink, it seems to run fine. Right now while folding mine is at 44c CPU and 51c PWMIC, so I wouldn't worry about your temps. Your setup of blowing air in from the front and exhausting it out the back sounds correct, you have a lot of fans...no wonder your motherboard temps are so much lower then mine.

I'm seeing the same thing on the PWMIC temps. I tried installing my Ultra-90 on my Opt170 a couple weeks ago (removing my XP90C). With no downward airflow from the fan PWMIC temps jumped up into the 50s. Right now 44C (while folding) with the XP90C (I put it back on). Cpu temps with the Ultra-90 were on par with the XP90C so no gain there either. Just higher PWM temps. :(

And as promised... here's my 0609 ADV in a different board. Pulled my Opt144 out and dropped the X2 in. Ram was and still is running @ 290. Was pretty much just a divider/multi/vcore adjustment. No retweaking the ram (so far) :rolleyes:

4400_290x9_P95_BLEND.jpg

iLLestOne said:
Just installed my new Ninja....temps are okay, but don't seem as good as my xp90c....I guess I could remount it just incase....

PWMIC temps are up A LOT though, since the fan no longer blows down on the MB...I hope this won't effect my OC at all...I guess we'll see.

BTW, I'm sitting daily at 2.96ghz @ 1.5v. No probs at all, but it doesn't look like I'll get the 3.0ghz :( But I still can't complain :)
What I do with my many Ninjas, is to put a 90mm fan in the bottom of the 5-1/4 cage blowing into the back of the sink and onto the ram and MOBO, it makes a big difference. Also after a few cycles the AS5 will settle in and it'll drop close to 5 more degs. I used the 120s that came with is as exhaust fans in my cases. I found the 90s work better as they direct air in a tighter air pattern than the 120s.

I just pulled my 4400X2 (ran solid at 2709MHz 1.54v) and put in a dirt cheap Opteron 165. Been working with it for a couple of days and am amazed at this thing. Check out these numbers

The 4400 is going in a new build for my wife as it is a great chip but this opte is incredible. Got it from the Egg on 11/9. CCBBE 0616 XPMW.

Merc14 said:
I just pulled my 4400X2 (ran solid at 2709MHz 1.54v) and put in a dirt cheap Opteron 165. Been working with it for a couple of days and am amazed at this thing. Check out these numbers

The 4400 is going in a new build for my wife as it is a great chip but this opte is incredible. Got it from the Egg on 11/9. CCBBE 0616 XPMW.
That's great mate, both you and your wife are happy that each got new toys :)
BTW, what is that monitoring utility you are using? I am trying to find something similar to MBM5 for this board(same as your board bought recently) to work. MBM5 does not work on this board and I am a bit disappointed w/ no good monitoring utility here. the probeII works but is simple device and doesnt read all components.
Anyways, I am glad you found the right toy to play with. Arent these Asus A8N32-sli's great motherboard ? :)

OC-
They are great boards. As evidence check out this thumbnail of an early run on the Opte. I inadvertently left the HT at 5x (HT Overvolt enabled) and the thing was running Orthos with an HT speed of 1500+MHz.

That program is Everest Ultimate. In addition to the completely configurable OSD (On Screen Display) you can log your runs in as much detail as you want. That OSD can be set to display nearly any temp, voltage or speed you want and all the colors and fonts are adjustable. You can drag it anywhere you want on the page too. I removed Probe as it was a PITA and Everest is outstanding. Downside is it costs $30 but well worth it.

Back