• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seti and DOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burning Phoenix

I'm going to build a new system for seti only. It'll probably be a P4 system with just the basics such as:
P4 1.7 ghz
256 meg rdram
Hard drive
network card

NO video card
NO audio card
NO modem
NO cdrom
NO floppy

I would like to connect this system to my current system via a network so as to send and receive seti files to it. The thing i would like to know is will seti CL version run in dos ? I would think it would be way faster if it could. I'm just starting the seti stuff now and on my current P4 1.7 i have run my last 4 Wu's between 4 hours to 4 hours 15 minutes. I'm currently on my 12th and had a bad start at it for the 1st 2 WU's i ran on the screensaver version to which i kept it active while i was doing my usaul activites on my system. I had my 1st Wu at over 30 hours which screwed up my average. Give me some advice as to how i can get that system running as fast as possible and how to minimize installing windows if at all possible.
I would to make this full time seti machine so as to get 40 - 50 WU's per week and help Overclockers.com pass some of those big companies i saw in the top 20.

Your going to have to put a video card in there or else you wont be able to boot, even to dos.

yup your going to need at least a video card in that system i think.

as for a dos client,i dont think its possible.they havent released one yet,so i dont think its possible.
for best times use winNt ,but im sure others around here will recommend something else.
some have been effective using win98lite
im sure morpheus can fill u in.
:)

I would recommend using the command line version in win2k just cause it's very stable. but if your wanting to like administer the machine from your personal machine, try something like I have. I have linux installed and remotely administer it through a nice GPL program called Webmin. I can moniter SETI witha built-in module. another plus to using this program it's very good for both beginners and experts alike. if you'd like more info just email me.

Been there, done that

yep.... the CLC needs the 9x or NT/2000 kernel...

Heck of an idea though... DOS that is... :)

Good luck!!!

LuKE said:
I would recommend using the command line version in win2k just cause it's very stable. but if your wanting to like administer the machine from your personal machine, try something like I have. I have linux installed and remotely administer it through a nice GPL program called Webmin. I can moniter SETI witha built-in module. another plus to using this program it's very good for both beginners and experts alike. if you'd like more info just email me.

Yep Win 2k seems to be the best os for seti. It was 2 hours faster than linux for me.

NT or 2000 seems most stable. Need video card to boot regardless - although I've seen other peeps talk about systems without video cards - don't know any OS that will load without a video card. Use something like VNC to remotely control and monitor via lan, can, wan, man - whatever fits your situation.

Back