• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Radiator leak! Do I buy a new one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vampire5003

Hey guys my radiator leaked, and XSPC claimed the screws were put in wrong. I put them through the holes and used the scews they provided so just whatever. I called local Auto Shops and they basically don't like to repair them because they say it will just leak again. So should I buy a new radiator? New or used? I really don't want to deal with XSPC's rude custom support, but if I have too I will. What about the MCR320 by Swiftech, or is the RX360 just that much better. I purchased XSPC Rasa 750 RX360 kit so I already have fans. All I need is a new radiator. Please advise me and help me make a good decision. My budget is $70 or less. If someone with knowledge recommends used radiators and have one for sale I may be able to take one off your hands. Lastly, I am cooling my GTX 580 with a danger den copper block, my i5 2500k with XSPC block and using the XSPC Dual 5.25 Reservoir bay.

PS: The fans I am using are the XSPC ones that came with the kit.

Thank you,

Thomas Lopez

You should be able to repair it yourself with JB Weld. There are a bunch of threads about it.

I would use JBweld if you can't get a rad shop to fix it. I still think I rad shop should be able to fix it ive had several tractor radiators fixed that never leaked again.

Opps, not the first time. Rad screws are like critical. Sorry for your boo boo.

Can you post great pics of the damage? Might help with our recommedations for repair.

Calling a local auto shop isn't the best idea. Take it to them let them SEE it. There are RADIATOR repair shops too, ones who know rads.

JB weld can do wonders if the damage is right.

And... Just saying 'Ahh darnit, buy another has worked for me. We's at the bubbling edge of cooling...... And have to accept the oops at times.

Sorry to hear that.

I've done this too. I used bolts that were for a 38mm thick fan instead of the ones for a 25mm fan in a 120x120 rad and damaged one of the water channels. I just bought a new 240x120 one. But it did suck. :(

PLEASE READ! WHICH TYPE OF JB WELD!

Wait, do I use JB Weld or JB Weld - Water Weld? I bought both at Wal mart and will return the one I don't need. Please advise.

Attached are some photos of what I am talking about:

jbweld_lrg.jpg

Now the Water Weld:

jbwaterweld_.jpg

Thank you,

Thomas Lopez

there's always have to be options for every little thing :D

Can you please tell me which jb weld to use? I see your on the forum if you can answer fast it will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Thomas Lopez

the original one will do fine, i never seen the other one before.

Ok thank you, just wanted to ask because the water one said it is made for copper things (like the copper fins). It also says it's made for plumbing and aquarium tanks.
They both say they are epoxy glue.

Thank you,

Thomas Lopez

Yes, use the two tube mix type JB Weld, or the shorter time JB Weld Quick (5 minute cure time, two tubes to mix).
The JB Waterweld is a thick two part clay-like putty, and is not the one you need.

Use a toothpick to mix and apply. Follow directions for ambient temp and cure time.

Yes, use the two tube mix type JB Weld, or the shorter time JB Weld Quick (5 minute cure time, two tubes to mix).
The other is a thick clay-like putty, and is not the one you need.

Use a toothpick to mix and apply. Follow directions for ambient temp and cure time.

Ok so I mix the tubes that say Hardener and Steel? Use a toothpick instead of paintbrush? Sorry about all the questions I am a noob.

No problem. I use a toothpick.
Don't use the whole tube, just a dot on the disposable mixing surface the size of a pea from each tube. Make sure that both dots are the same size, then mix until the color is uniform (one starts out black and one is grayish white, mix until an even gray).
Apply to an area generously larger than the hole and wait. It's under the fan mount bracket, so it's not like you'll lose a ton of air flow if you cover an area the size of a screw head.

BTW, the bracket is brass in most rads, so you can bend it up out of the way ~45° until repaired, then bent back into place once you're happy with the repair holding (leaketesting).

Last edited:
Be very careful using JB weld to fix radiators. If you use JB weld you do run a risk of it coming off with the paint. I know a lot have been repaired using JB weld and it does work, but for how long? I have seen many fail after some time throughout the years. If you want to do it correctly you need to have the area sanded and then solder the hole closed.

As for performance difference between the RX360 and MCR320 it isn't much at low RPM.

rd2-preview.jpg

Back