• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to take off the Sapphire ATI 9800 Pro Heatsink/Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sheldon

Taking off ATI Heatsink *(edited flashing sapphire r360 pro ->XT question)

Sorry if this is a pretty newb question, but I am looking to mod my 9800 Pro Sapphire to a XT. I bought this video card about a year ago, and I am almost sure I have the R350 core that can be modded into XT easily. Although before I order a new fan and heatsink for it I want to be certain I can overclock this to XT speeds.

The heatsink looks like this except with PLASIC clips that hold it down, not metal (stupid ATI) and they are easily disconfigured so I dont want to make it loose.

sapphire_9800.jpg

also anyone recommend a certain heatsink I should buy, perhaps a silencer?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
on the back of the pcb you'll see where the plastic clips stick out, just pinch them together with your finger nails to fit them through the holes. the fan cable you're going to have to bend the plastic to pull it out. arctic silencers and zalman coolers are good choices just to name two.

Then I probabaly have the R360. I wasnt sure if it wqas 350 or 360 thanks!

SolidxSnake said:
BTW, you can't mod an r350 to an XT. You need an r360.

While you do not get a true XT from a 350 core or a 128 MB memory, you can still load the XT BIOS onto the card. You miss out on temperature monitoring but you still get a nice boost from the XT BIOS. (Up to 300 points in 3DMark03 at Pro clocks)
Your card does not even need to be stable at XT clocks (422/364) since you can edit the BIOS before flashing to default to a stable overclock.

Well, because I have my own thread now, and since ive been browsing through 7 pages of the 9800pro -> XT thread and still havent found what I want, I thought I might as well ask here without making a new thread.

Anyways, I took off the heatsink, to find on the core it has labeled

R360
215R9RBKA11F
N06462.00
0418AA
TAIWAN

and the memory is
SAMSUNG 419
K40263238E-GC2A

Being the newb at this field, I have no clue what this means, but so far from reading the other posts in other threads i've gotten a few mixed answers.

-So far I know that I have the Samsung 2.8ns ram
Things that have confused me is people saying dont flash unless you have the XT PCB or it will mess things up, and others saying flash flash! if you have r360 and 2.8ns memory. Well from the post up above it appears I dont have the XT PCB, (it looks the same but without the C136 thing).

I'm not a rich guy, so I cant afford to damage or kill my video card, but I love to get the most out of what I have, so of course I want to be certain i'm doing everything right, so sorry for all the questions :bang head

So according to the specifications of what I have
-R360 Core
-Samsung 2.8ns memory
-Arctic Silencer VGA Cooler (rev.3) AVC-1000
-1 Year old Arctic Silver 3 (lost AS5)

also I dont have any ramsinks, I dont know if the VGA cooler comes with them or something?

would it be safe to flash my BIOS from Pro -> XT?
and is it just any old Sapphire 9800XT bios or does it need to be a special one.

Thanks in advance for your time :cool:

Last edited:
Back