• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Opteron 175 no longer making me angry.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iamsexyrob

Registered
Infact, I'm pretty darn happy! because as of now I have it running at 2.9 (11x264) and 1:1 with my new ram!

you may remember a thread about 3 weeks ago where I was whining about my processor not clocking well, It was getting stuck at 2.54, well although it was said many factors were limmiting me from a good over clock I found the biggest problem to be my ram. the corsair value select didnt like to run much higher than 225fsb.

I explained what was happening to a friend at work and he offered to let me borrow some performance "OCZ Gold" ddr 500 ram to see if it would help. Immediatly I was able to fly past the wall I had earlier. With the new ram I was able to clock it up to 2.86 but it was buggy and unreliable at this speed. I brought it down to 2.78 and it was more stable.

Thinking it was finnally my processors fault at this point I was complacent and felt it was time to get myself some nice ram because I couldn't go back to that value crap after feeling this power. So I purchased some Mushkin Redline ddr500 (2x1gb).

After waiting a long 7 days for it to get here I threw it in (tonight) and it, to my amazement, passed up the ocz and is still error free! Right now I am running at 2.9ghz and orthos is running as I write this. I'm thinking about pushing it some more tonight because the temps are fine (0:47 and 1:52 under 100% load for the past 20 minutes(weird one core is 5 higher.?.?))

I've been keeping a chart of my benchmark scores in an excell sheet incase anyone is interested. I might just screen shot it and post it...

So to anyone thinking about an opteron for their old system, I'd definatly say do it. Get a higher multiplier one if your ram doesnt OC well or just run a divider. Although it feels so much better at 1:1 imo

Nice , now you know the different good HW can make.

I never but the best of the best but I always buy HW that will clock like mad ( i put alot of research into my parts) .
Can you push that thing over 3ghz for benches ?

Nice clock! :thup: Keep working with it, you may be able to squeeze a little more. And remember, the CPU OC is the most important!!

soulfly1448 said:
Gratz on that 175! Come on, you can beat my Pwnteron, only need to squeeze out about 150Mhz more.
Beat a 0610 on water? ;) As soon as I'm through testing pumps we'll see if my 0711 or 0704 can manage it ... :D

got it up to 2.95, but it doesnt seem to have gained any performance... it doesnt feel as smooth for some reason.

overclocking.JPG

Back