• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping a GPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
treatmentx said:
Has anyone done this? Can it be done? Differences in temps idle/load?
Ah, please only create one instance of a thread...ask a mod to delete the other please...:beer:

I've not heard of this, it would be pretty hard to do with everything else on the board...lets see what other people have to say...

As I posted in the other thread...

It will make a good doorstop if you lap the GPU.

Wont work. Every video card I had has an exposed core and if you try lapping that you are actually grinding away bits of the gpu. I don't know if they started making the 8xxxs and the x2xxxs with heatspreaders, but the cards Ive seen dont have them.

freakdiablo said:
Wont work. Every video card I had has an exposed core and if you try lapping that you are actually grinding away bits of the gpu. I don't know if they started making the 8xxxs and the x2xxxs with heatspreaders, but the cards Ive seen dont have them.
I'm pretty sure my 8800 has a heatspreader...

I can post a pic once photobucket goes back online >.>

lol, so you spotted the other thread huh? lol. I did so because there are some people who only visit water cooling, and some people who only visit the gpu section and wanted people's input.

And yes, please post pic, i'm on a xxx xfx 8800gtx

To my knowledge no current GPU's have heatspreaders...

Ok just looked it up and you are right the 8800's have them. Ok...if you don't have an 8800 series card then you have a new doorstop.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4352

Last time I lapped a GPU was the GeForce 4 series. I wouldn't recommend it nowadays with the bare chip packaging unless they start putting AMD64/Intel style IHS' on the cores. Even when they do, popping an IHS off may be a better alternative.

Back