• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who has a Xbox One and Likes it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
For me im torn on a console to get. PS4 really does sound nice to have, I would love to get into some of the exclusive games that it does have for the console. With that being said though I do like the exclusive lineup for Xbox One too, and like some of the franchises better than PS4's (Forza vs GT for instance).

Double edge sword I guess. 720p / 1080p has its ups and downs. Really resolution while nice to have guess its not a great most priority. But If it looks like crap why would I want it? I mean they made GTA V look fricken fantastic IMO on old hardware... very old hardware.

With that said curious to what true owners of this console thinks of it at this time. Could care less about the TV features, its not going to be hooked up by a cable box by any means.

Might be an semi impulse by, and wanting something fancy to play with :) Always been lacking on the console side with launches which really isn't bad but.... me being me I got an itch and its really hard to break right now, its driving me crazy actually.

Thought I'd add my two cents. I haven't gone for either yet. I'm patiently waiting for something to catch my interest. I have to admit I haven't been inspired by a console game for quite a while. I'd like to add to this question and say if you have a favourite launch game what is it? I've heard Forza for xbone is very pretty.

If you don't care about the TV features then the PS4 is the way to go. The only advantage that the xbox has is its capability of being a STB, if that doesnt matter to you there's no reason to purchase it.

Thought I'd add my two cents. I haven't gone for either yet. I'm patiently waiting for something to catch my interest. I have to admit I haven't been inspired by a console game for quite a while. I'd like to add to this question and say if you have a favourite launch game what is it? I've heard Forza for xbone is very pretty.

Forza is a must title for me on the Xbox. Like that fact of it.

Forza definitely looks pretty but I'm disappointed with a lot of the decisions that they decided to make with the game.

eg: http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/forza-motorsport-5-review/1900-618/

Yeah I've at least heard that about the AI being... hard. Actually any improvement over the past games is an improvement even if its more aggressive and actually not following lines to a T at least with AI. Though some things like, car damage and not costing you is a shame :/ If it was an on/off feature that would be nice for the people that aren't as talented at driving.

If you don't care about the TV features then the PS4 is the way to go. The only advantage that the xbox has is its capability of being a STB, if that doesnt matter to you there's no reason to purchase it.

Yeah no cable box, or at least one I'm not going to pay for HD inputs (total crap) so yeah that portion is out. Anything else it can do I'll be more than happy about. Heck if it can stream movies from my Synology box it could save me the $60 I just spent on a Blu-Ray player for that feature which is really nice, that would be nearly worth the added price to it.

My only concern is the slightly lacking GPU side mainly compared to the PS4... Its what roughly 22-23% less CU's which can be a big deal, but if they are just going to scale down the video instead of scaling down effects that might not make a big difference to me at least. I just want a stable sturdy system. Who knows maybe eventually I'll have both but right now just concentrating on one.

Just trying to get a feel for what everyone is experiencing at least here on the system, if they like it or not.

Yeah no cable box, or at least one I'm not going to pay for HD inputs (total crap) so yeah that portion is out. Anything else it can do I'll be more than happy about. Heck if it can stream movies from my Synology box it could save me the $60 I just spent on a Blu-Ray player for that feature which is really nice, that would be nearly worth the added price to it.

I don't think either support DLNA at this point yet. The only reason I considered getting the Xbone is because of the possible IPTV support. Since I work for AT&T and we get Uverse at the apartment it makes sense otherwise we'd buy a WiiU. Since I've quit gaming after I got married there's no need for a PS4 otherwise I would be all over it for FFIXV or BF4 since it's quite clearly the better gaming system for the reasons you mentioned.

Really at this point it's too early to call a clear winner however I am very concerned for the overall health of Microsoft as a whole. They are far too cash strapped and their long-term profitability is really in question to the point where you could argue buying Android STB over it. I just don't think Microsoft is going to survive the decade just like Blackberry. The moment that Google's Chrome OS gains widespread acceptance Microsoft is toast.

Last edited:
I don't think either support DLNA at this point yet. The only reason I considered getting the Xbone is because of the possible IPTV support. Since I work for AT&T and we get Uverse at the apartment it makes sense otherwise we'd buy a WiiU. Since I've quit gaming after I got married there's no need for a PS4 otherwise I would be all over it for FFIXV or BF4 since it's quite clearly the better gaming system for the reasons you mentioned.

Really at this point it's too early to call a clear winner however I am very concerned for the overall health of Microsoft as a whole. They are far too cash strapped and their long-term profitability is really in question to the point where you could argue buying Android STB over it. I just don't think Microsoft is going to survive the decade just like Blackberry. The moment that Google's Chrome OS gains widespread acceptance Microsoft is toast.

I think it does have partial DLNA support. Very limited which I hope is to be expanded upon in the near future. Goal is to get it to play MKV files, if it can't well its back to my other option, Blu-Ray player that does have that support. Not sure if the PS4 has that option yet either.

I hear you. Getting married for me really never changed amount of game time to much, it was when I had kids that changed at least the first year. After that it gets much easier and starting to pick back up in gaming where I do get my time to game still :) Got to have a spot to vent hehe.

Now mentioning MS as a whole, I know they haven't been doing the best, but then again the whole PC industry (no im not talking about gaming) is sort of weird right now. While I am a huge Android fan, for some reason I don't see Chrome OS gaining widespread acceptance from a Desktop use. Tablets and all yes I agree with though unless something changes I doubt it.

There is just way to many applications that the likes of Chrome can't handle or programmed to handle at least yet. Yes they are gaining a step in the right direction but far from me to even consider using it as a daily driver in the work force. It needs vast amounts of horsepower which ARM chips or low end Intel solutions just won't cut it. For instance, it doesn't have the functions of MS Excel based programs and coding abilities for Macro's. I can't run my 3D Modeling programs or even have an advanced AutoCAD usage on the device. I've tried to like it but just can't use it. Its at least nice to have a file on the device to see with a 1lb item vs a 5-7lb huge laptop thats battery will die in 2 hours. It does have some AutoCAD but its far from a daily driver. All this is early on in development cycles but the ARM device doesn't have the power to push the requirements these have. Hence MS or even Apple will have a big presences in the market for their needs. Sure they might have to scale down but I don't think they will bleed themselves dry in a 10 year span.

Last edited:
If money were not an object I would absolutely, hands-down, get an Xbox One.

Really just for Killer Instinct Ultra Edition.

There really isn't anything else in the next gen I care about.

My neighbor (and I mean the guy RIGHT to the left of my apartment... we share a wall) has the PS4. I can go over there whenever I want to play something. I've played 3-4 games so far... I'm not really impressed. It's just Killzone and a bunch of crap from the PS3... and I still have my PS3... and a PC... so why bother?

Now I realize 500 bucks is a lot to pay for Killer Instinct... but I did say "if money wasn't an object..."

Now mentioning MS as a whole, I know they haven't been doing the best, but then again the whole PC industry (no im not talking about gaming) is sort of weird right now. While I am a huge Android fan, for some reason I don't see Chrome OS gaining widespread acceptance from a Desktop use. Tablets and all yes I agree with though unless something changes I doubt it.

You'd be suprised, as much as I tend to disagree with the doomseyers Charlie has a point. Most of our servers at the VHO are being changed out for Linux. Our COU devices are being heavily pushed towards iOS because how secure it can be configured. It's far cheaper for AT&T to give their techs a hardcoded ipad that's completely locked down than a PC. Especially when they can repurpose customer returned devices rather than scrapping them. Granted they bought us ultrabooks but they are Windows 7 based not 8 and I don't see us ever going to 8 best I can tell. And that right there is a huge problem for Microsoft's cash stream.

If given the choice between Windows 8.1 and an iPad I honestly believe global would give us an iPad instead just by observing recent purchase orders. Especially now that 64bit iOS and Android will be so prevalent. By the time the Windows 7 support gives out I see a mass exodus from Microsoft from the corporate world followed by the customer one.

All of this I expect to take place before the EOL for the Xbone which gives me great concern for the future of the console. Per microsoft mainstream support ends "January 13, 2015" and complete support ends "January 14, 2020".

Given how badly Windows 8 is cratering and that the Xbox 360 was released on November 4, 2010 we don't have that long to go before you start to see Microsoft's crisis of confidence come to a head :chair:

Well... Went to the store last night grabbed one. Would of gotten a Day One edition just for the sake of it but.. wasn't going to pay an extra $25+ for it (got to love Target).

Once again, as I posted in the other thread, no one saw them on the floor no one bother to ask and sure enough they where hidden in the back room, the remaining 2 sold as well when I was checking out. Amazing how that works. I should get a fee for selling consoles for them :)

Anyways didn't get much time on it, set it up, got some updates and got 3 games... but will probably return one.

Forza 5: Got to play this a little, very little at that, 2 quick races. 10% installed on the drive and what ever portion of the 6GB update that is for it not sure how far it got but was 50% installed when I had to call it a night. Racing, the force feed back in the controller is interesting, in a nice way. Gives it a better feel of the controller when driving. Its not exact but gives something to it. Graphics... well watch a video its wonderful.
AI/First race. Looks like they altered the typical 1st, 2nd, 3rd place (gold, silver, bronze) thinking. Gold (3rd place and higher) / Silver (7th place and higher) / Bronze (10th place and higher). Not sure if the amount of money changes if you get higher, but placed 3rd in my first race, AI was on above average / with running simulation for damage. Got to say, AI was nice much more challenging and at least not yet not slamming me all over the place on purpose. They seemed to respect my space well as I tried to respect theirs. They seem to get the same damage issues I get if I slam into a wall, screwed up steering, bad breaking, etc. I hope, would be nice to see AI drivers suffer like I do if I screw up. And for the racing in general I was trying to hold 2nd place but the AI well did me in :) Overall for the 15-20min of play very well done. Looking forward to more races.

Dead Rising 3: Haven't had a chance to pop the disk in yet, but hopefully tonight I will. Heard good things on this one too.

Ryse: This is the one I think I will be returning. Don't think I can bring it on myself to pay $60 just yet for a game for maybe 6 hours of play. Its graphically great but very repetitive... I'll have to think hard on this one after reading more reviews of it.

Game to possibly get still - Need for Speed - Rivals: Just looks sweet! :) Haven't done a NFS game for ages and finally looks like one that actually has gotten nice reviews about. Something I'll look into for sure.

App wise, not many apps for the console yet. Just did some quick installs of basic ones, Skype, Netflix, Vudu, Skydrive, etc. Just was playing with it a little. Was tempted to hook my Blu-Ray player to pass though it, didn't try that and see what its like to have a movie and game at the same time. Gotta be weird. The OS it self was very fast and responsive.

As for Kinect. Well relatively dim room and picked me up no issues being in the room. The sensor was offset on the TV as right now have from left to right; Xbox One Kinect / Xbox 360 Kinect / Wii Sensor Bar, and the Xbox 360's is center of the screen. Had no issues picking me up on a dark couch nice and relaxed.

The unit as a whole. Holy crap its heavy. The sensor alone has to be 2 lbs + its cable. Think MS went the way of big/heavy to make sure it stays cool now then trying to cheap out on it. Build quality seems very nice. The box itself has many vents and its very quiet. Downside is not being able to put anything on top of it because you risk blocking the vents on the top.

The controller, seems odd at first. Just the way it is vs the previous controllers for the last 2 consoles. Just slight differences that throw you off. Overall very comfortable to hold, nice not having the big bulge on the bottom for the batteries that its actually built into the physical body.

Probably only biggest complaint of it... is having to really purchase it with the Kinect sensor. Nothing really uses it yet, and will I use it? Yes I probably will, just not right away at least til more games get released. Its something that probably could of included on the side and picked up a lot more sales of the console but as said it is still selling out at most places at least here. I use mine for the X360 a little, granted its not all the time but it is fun to play with, if you have the proper titles.

Oh its free... well, maybe I will ;) I noticed it last night, think its a 3Gig download. I haven't done fighting games in a while so I'll let you know how it goes, might be able to do some video once I figure that out.

I pinned it.. so I will check it out tonight ideally. Maybe when another game is install. Love that you can FINALLY do more than 1 thing at a time on the console, smart thinking guys.
When I get home going to check out how this Smart Glass thing works and see if I can install it remotely.

Last edited:
Ok starting a new thread of reviewing the console in general and my experiences. Since it really doesn't follow this topic going to drop what I posted above and my update to games tried shortly. Stay tuned.

Ok starting a new thread of reviewing the console in general and my experiences. Since it really doesn't follow this topic going to drop what I posted above and my update to games tried shortly. Stay tuned.

Yeaaah... but this really isn't the busiest section of the forum. Having two threads kinda STANDS OUT. :p

Yeah I know but.. keeps it seperate from reviewish to hey who likes the console.

I got the xbone for Christmas. Really took me by surprise. I actually really like it. It's not going to be as powerful as the ps4, but well I'll continue to play my pc if I want power. As for the games the xbox one does have so far I have Madden 25 and Forza 5.

Forza is ok....I think I might like Forza 4 better though and I still have barely played GT 6. The ai in Forza 5 is really annoying though. I always complained about how the ai in GT was lifeless and followed the lines, but Forza always had better ai. Turning the ai into ghosts of real life players makes the game feel fake. I know that sounds weird, but if you have ever played online most people don't race like real racers. They are very aggressive and this is replicated in the career. Forza's real strength has always been in the great online play though. Once you have accumulated enough credits and cars in the career mode online is a lot of fun. And people are more passive then they are in their singleplayer race ghost thingies.

So.. I've got both a PS4 and an XBOne, and honestly it's very difficult for me to pick a favorite here.
The XB has some really neat convenience features (voice control, snapping, game dvr, etc) and the vibrating triggers are AWESOME in Forza. That's really the only game that I've noticed the trigger feedback in, but its improved my racing by quite a lot, because it gives you immediate feedback as to when you're locking up the brakes and losing traction or too heavy on the gas and creating wheelspin.
Forza also looks incredible.. the cars and tracks do anyway. Crowds and trees look kinda meh, but given the outstanding physics model and 60fps @1080p I think I can forgive that.
Dead Rising is also a crapload of fun. Just stupid, mindless fun. Find weapons, kill zombies. The sheer quantity of zombies and the fact that no two are really alike is astounding.

The PS4 I feel has the better interface, and is the more powerful console. You get some excellent games with Playstation Plus right now. So far, I've played Knack, Killzone, AC4, and a few of the PSN games.
Resogun is the most fun I've had with an arcade shooter since Super Stardust or Geometry Wars.
Contrast is a very... interesting game. It's hard to explain, but its a puzzle/platformer in which your character can jump into and out of the shadows, and while acting as a shadow, you can run over and interact with other shadows.
Knack is an old school platformer at heart. Very simple controls, very unforgiving and challenging gameplay, and a decent, if silly story. Looks very much like playing a Pixar movie. The stylized graphics here don't really do justice to the amount of work being performed. There's not a blurry texture or unintentionally sharp edge anywhere. A lot of the blocks and buildings have their edges beveled and Knack himself is really impressive, given that he's made up entirely of physics objects, and the pieces that are knocked away when you take damage are based on where contact was made, and you actually lose those pieces until you restore your health by collecting more.
Killzone.. ahhh Killzone. Easily my favorite launch game on the PS4. It's absolutely stunning, the textures, models, atmosphere are all fantastic. The gameplay still retains some of the weight that the previous games did, though not as heavy as KZ2 or KZ3, but not as Gears/COD wannabe as KZ3 was. It strikes a great balance for feel, you get the sense of weight without feeling sluggish at all.
The story was also pretty powerful, though the voice acting in places does leave a little to be desired. It moves away from a purely Helghast vs Vektan point of view and hits on some heavier concepts of racism and mutual evils.
Assassin's Creed is easily the best in the series to date. It does show some cross generational issues, the graphics aren't quite as nice as they could be, but they did take advantage of the newer hardware with some increased AA and more intense and realistic weather effects and in little details like universal wind that effects all of the foliage, clothing, hair, etc.

Honestly, your decision right now should be more based on the games you want to play than on the system itself. Both are very powerful (for consoles, hehe), both have fantastic third party support going into next year, and both have some really solid first party support. I think it's really going to interesting to see where things go with the emphasis on the cloud and deferred computing in games like Forza, Titanfall, and BF4 (the ocean/waves are all computed server side so that they are in the exact same position for each player, meaning its possible to duck behind waves for cover, the wakes generated by other watercraft can be used for various purposes, etc)

On the resolution issue: There IS a difference with lower resolutions, but its really minor so far as I can tell. Both consoles have hardware upscalers to upres content to 1080p and they do a pretty good job of keeping things looking pretty.

So bottom line, in my opinion, if the XBOne has more that you're looking forward to, go with that, otherwise, get the PS4 and call it good. I got the PS4 at launch, stood in line at midnight and all that jazz, and only recently picked up an XB just before christmas because everyone and their mother had them in stock. I'm very happy with both of them.

tl;dr: Get whichever has more games you're looking forward to. lol

Very good overlook there iLoki.

I know I almost got a PS4 recently as well but the guy was just asking too much. Scrapped the idea. Still like the Xbox One though.

And you said it really it probably comes down to games. PS4 has the hardware to push it, Xbox One has some fancy server side services that might make it better for MP being the same on each console (physics, etc).

On a side note found out that MS was opening there new server house for LIVE basically in my back yard. Down in Iowa, which is wonderful. Better connection to the service :) More a win win for me.

Looking forward to more games on the system.

Just thought I'd throw in my .02.

I got the Xbox one for Christmas (got to choose which consolse I got through!).

I do like the features for TV, snap etc that everyone talked about, It's a nice bonus that allws easy transition between sources (when you have a one year old, remotes are sometimes elusive!).
And again, with a one year old, you don't get to be a hard core gamer either, so that's another reason I opted for the xbox one.

I do feel the lack of games (big and small) is dissapointing but I know that will change as time goes on. The kinect being included will help the development of casual games too. I just wish there was more than "just dance". The potential is huge with the kinect and small app/games, I just hope they start to get more soon.

As for Forza, originally I purchased it, but returned it when I read about how limited the play is unless you start spending more $. I understand and even enjoy DLC for some games, but when I feel the content should have been included to begin with, it makes me not want to give the company my business. So Forza got returned and I got NFS and I enjoy it a lot, I do prefer GT anyway, so I'll just wait for another Sim to come along!

DLing Killer Instinct now!

Back