• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about consoles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Prolly should check the Consoles subforum ;)

I'd say pick up a 360. You can get a premium for $350 used, or new for $400, and the game library is snazzy. It's got the most"Exclusives" of the current next gen consoles, and has some awesome online play.

If you want something now, 360 is where it's at. Wii would be my next choice for the cheap factor, and PS3 is just to much of a risk right now, considering I'm not to confident it will have very many games that I can't play on the 360...

personally if I was going to get one I would get the Wii because I don't see anything the 360 can do that my computer can't, but I can't play wii style games on my PC

Your computer cant do XBOX Live, which has been what's kept the Xbox series alive. =)

And as for Nintendo, if it wasn't for the DS and Wii...they would be hurtin.

XBOX 360 and Wii for me. But only if I had the money to afford games for that and the PC, which I dont.

Well I'm kind of happy that this post ISN'T in the Console Gaming forum... if only because of the War that would ensue (if you really want about a thousand rabid opinions... Just go there and look for threads started by "rainless" or "fudgenuggets.")

To answer your question... The Wii has a total of SEVEN halfway decent games... at last count by someone who actually has faith in the system... none of which are online... There are NO online games on the horizon (besides Pokemon) and to get the most out of the system will cost you an additional 200 dollars in accessories.

(I mean you COULD play Wii Tennis by yourself... buy you could also tie a baseball to a tree and just bat it until it spins around and you have to untangle it.)

Then at the very least you'll need an SD card... Which is going to look pretty ridiculous even a couple of months ago.

If you get an Xbox Premium... however... It will come with a hard drive and every other accessory you need, including a month of Xbox live. You'll have the wireless controller, the headset, at least one free live arcade game, a bunch of demos... and once you get a full game you'll be able to play with/against anyone you want... Including me and Eliff Tymes (and the aforementioned Fudgenuggets, though I've never seen him online.) If you get a Wii you'll be playing (no pun intended) with yourself unless you get all that extra equipment.

Also the 360 already have at least 20 classic games (gears of war and dead rising are two that pop immediately to mind) and probably 50 good ones (Crackdown falls into the "Good" category.)

So it's really a no contest between those two systems...

...Unless of course you've got a Mario obsession, in which case you didn't even need to ask.

PS2 has a super large library of games and excellent titles which can be bought seriously cheap.
Out the of the three latest console i have the 360 and is the one i recomend, i will be getting a Wii in a few months and probly a PS3 in a years time.

Yeah, as far as "new consoles" goes, it's 360, Wii, PS3 almost hands down right now.

But a PS2 is a good choice if you want a great selection of games at a seriously low price point. ($100 for the console? $10-$40 per game?)

as for lack of storage on the Wii... SD for ~$8 per gig. . The price point of XBox 360's 20GB HDD is $~4 per gig. SD is 2x per gig, but you can buy it in chunks, I.E. "Hmm, need another 1gb? Drop $16 bucks and you have it + more. Xbox 360? Need another 1GB? Drop $90 :p.

Plus, SD prices are dropping like rocks. I expect to be able to buy a 4GB SD card for ~$20 bucks within a year.

Last edited:
Get a 360 now because of the graphics, versatility and the library, just be sure you have a HDTV to get the full benefits. Wait until the Wii is readily available and has a larger library before getting it. Wait until there are more games available before considering a PS3, unless you REALLY want a BluRay player.

Elif Tymes said:
Yeah, as far as "new consoles" goes, it's 360, Wii, PS3 almost hands down right now.

But a PS2 is a good choice if you want a great selection of games at a seriously low price point. ($100 for the console? $10-$40 per game?)

as for lack of storage on the Wii... SD for ~$8 per gig. . The price point of XBox 360's 20GB HDD is $~4 per gig. SD is 2x per gig, but you can buy it in chunks, I.E. "Hmm, need another 1gb? Drop $16 bucks and you have it + more. Xbox 360? Need another 1GB? Drop $90 :p.

Plus, SD prices are dropping like rocks. I expect to be able to buy a 4GB SD card for ~$20 bucks within a year.

There you go with that crazy math again... But you forget there ARE no 20GB SD cards... There won't even be any for at least the next year or two. So anything over a gig you'll basically have to keep popping one SD card after another. Not THAT big a pain in the ***... but totally unecessary when you could have all your games, demos, movies, and music in the same place.

Id get a top of t he line PC.. Witha ll the fancy stuff.. My current PC plays all the games at decent settings but yeah, id have PC over any other gaming console. PC is a console, right? xD

Exactly, but with the Wii, it's not a media center. VC games are what, 2Mb? 3Mb? N64 ones are what, 30? WIth the Wii, 2GB of storage is overkill.

With the 360, 20GB of storage is underkill because it's where you store your music, your videos, your patches and your 500MB+ Demos.

I admit, I love being able to listen to my own music while playing 360 Games, that in and of itself is a great feature. I wish Wii could/would implement something like that. Simply enable windows media connect on your Windows Media Player, and allow the Wii's "PVR" functionality... That's a nice pipe dream.

As TollhouseFrank said, pick the ones that has the games you want most now.

If you have no plains on going HDTV then I would say a PS2 due to the game library. Personally I choose a PS3 because it comes with the most as in Wifi, Blu-ray, 60GB HDD, and it's got some good HTPC uses, plus has the games I want.

If you play a lot of games with a lot of friends mainly, get the wii.

If you have to get a console today and play alone usually, get the 360.

If you can wait a little or have an HDTV, get the PS3. Pretty much easy as that. PS3 doesnt have many games right now but if you wait a couple months, all the good stuff should come out so if you have an HDTV, bluray movies and motorstorm/resistence will keep you happy while you wait out those months.

That's my biggest gripe right now with my 360. Most of the games are only 2 player at most, which makes it hard to play with 3 or 4. Seriously, Burnout needs 4 player mode!!!! Same with Lego Star Wars / PGR3.. THe Outfit and GRAW support 4 at least :p

OniKoroshi said:
If you play a lot of games with a lot of friends mainly, get the wii.

Wait... that doesn't make any sense... It's going to cost him somewhere in the neighborhood of $450 to be able to play that Wii with "a lot of friends". Then his friends won't speak to him anymore the day he brings Pokemon Purple home...

And who plays a 360 alone? Last time I was in the states and played my 360 it was with Eliff Tymes (wherever the hell he is), my best friend in Tokyo, and FR3K3R had just logged in so I stepped out of that game of Gears to go play Texas hold 'em with him and five other people.

And Gears, GRAW 1 & 2, and a whole lot of other games have multi-player co-op mode. (A lot more games than are currently available on the Wii... unless they just made a downloadable co-op add-on for Zelda that I missed...)

Though I haven't played Xbox Live on the 360, I used to play it all the time on the orginal XBOX. I must say it was the only reason I kept playing XBOX for so long.

That said, I liked the Wii when I first played it, but I quickly got the "toy" feelinga and I don't like to really play it any more. It gets boring quick, and I hurt my shoulder, so i cannot play some of the cooler games. :(

I would go for the 360. It got a lot of great features included and some of the better games out right now.

My two cents. :attn:

Last edited:
Yeah, what kind of games do you like?

Here is the quick and dirty of it:

PC = Great depth, detail and specialization to the point that it can even be too overwhelming with options/controls and so specialized that its mainstream is pigeon-holed to first person shooters and MMO games with a few RTS's here and there.

Wii = Far less depth and difficulty, but has a sense almost child like glee and wonderment to its titles that other systems lack.

360/PS3 = Fall somewhere in the middle of those two.

Then theres the genre of games you like, media features, online features, control scheme, etc...

OC Noob said:
Yeah, what kind of games do you like?

Here is the quick and dirty of it:

PC = Great depth, detail and specialization to the point that it can even be too overwhelming with options/controls and so specialized that its mainstream is pigeon-holed to first person shooters and MMO games with a few RTS's here and there.

Wii = Far less depth and difficulty, but has a sense almost child like glee and wonderment to its titles that other systems lack.

360/PS3 = Fall somewhere in the middle of those two.

Then theres the genre of games you like, media features, online features, control scheme, etc...

I don't know if it's so much childlike wonder as Apple/Disney-like marketing. The comparisons to Apple have been going back to the multi-colored square-shaped game cube. (And it's similarities to the shortlived iCube) Ever since then Nintendo's been trying to turn itself INTO Apple... and with dazzling results.

The DS Lite succeeded for many of the same reasons that the iPod did. And the marketing ploys that made the Wii a household name (having morning weathermen fall over couches while playing Wiisports...) have been nothing short of astonishing. Not to mention all the adults that were in their teens when Mario bros. came out and they're now going through some bizarre midlife crisis where they want to chase turtles and pumpkins while literally running around the livingroom to the overall aww and dismay of their children who are trying to start rock bands while Dad's wigging out to Guitar Hero II...

...did I just fall into another insane rant? I think I scared some girl from Tennessee the other night... Something about being in this horrible country just lures me deeper and deeper into the darkside...

Time to pack some boxes.

Back