• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6970 vs 7850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Are you only looking to game on this machine? I mean you don't care if you need to encode a video and it takes 2 hours vs 1 and a half hour. If so again I'd go with a G860 over an I3 just to save the cash.

Tomshardware did an article comparing all the budget cpus with a high end video card and for the cash difference it just doesn't seem to me to be a bid deal, especially if your looking to upgrade later. I'd then spend the extra saved cash on the 7870.

Are you only looking to game on this machine? I mean you don't care if you need to encode a video and it takes 2 hours vs 1 and a half hour. If so again I'd go with a G860 over an I3 just to save the cash.

Tomshardware did an article comparing all the budget cpus with a high end video card and for the cash difference it just doesn't seem to me to be a bid deal, especially if your looking to upgrade later. I'd then spend the extra saved cash on the 7870.

I will be doing video editing, yes

You know what? since i am saving on an i3, I i think I might just splurge on a 7870! but, I dont know.... the 7850 already may have bottle necking issues but the 7870 will be worse!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-2.html

Interesting look at the i3, with a 7970... they have another review with a 6950.

Tomshardware has difficulting recommending much more than an i3, as the benefits for gaming aren't really there but for a few titles. I would recommend checking out their best CPU for the money guide (updated monthly) as they make recommendations under the assumption that they are recommending for gaming.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-2.html

Interesting look at the i3, with a 7970... they have another review with a 6950.

Tomshardware has difficulting recommending much more than an i3, as the benefits for gaming aren't really there but for a few titles. I would recommend checking out their best CPU for the money guide (updated monthly) as they make recommendations under the assumption that they are recommending for gaming.

an i3 is adequite for everything but the bf3 multiplayer which is what i will be playing most :D

My build is stronger than yours, at lesser power usage and i even have lesser maintenance cost and can afford to invest some of the saved up electricity bill into my next hardware. While many people think that they made a good deal and permannently have higher maintenance cost and eventually a lot of noise because of hot running hardware.

Secondly, believe me, if you dont take care at environment/ressources your polar bears or eskimos will be the lowest of all issues... the amount of issues are that big that you would not be able to writte it down in 24h.

The I3 works great with many games, some games need that few CPU that even a 5 year old CPU is sufficient. At 1080 i rarely get more than 30% CPU use for I5 and I7, those CPUs are totaly overpowered.

Last edited:
Earth is a "each others", a cycle of so many factors which have to work hand in hand, you cant expect not to have any impact when billions of people dont care how they handle it. Its nothing solid, its a extremely complicated circular flow which is sensitive to any kind of impact. If you dont need to use more in order to reach the performance desired, there is no reason to use more because there is lot more reasons other than eskimos and polar bears in order to be mindful on that. IT technology is nowadays producing the same amount of CO2 wastage such as the whole aircraft industry... thats a fact. I cant explain it here because its 1. a hardware forum and 2. Way to much stuff to explain, but you can watch several hours of material at Youtube, a rather joyful and still informative approach. Its not just about energy but the matter as a whole considering human created impact. Have fun.

Last edited:
Maintenance cost? Well, if my GPU takes 50 W less juice a hour, and when i play 10 hours a day (kinda possible, im sometimes that crazy). Its already half of a kW a day, means 10 cent in my country. When i do it 1 week in a row its 70 cents. 2.80 Euro a month, 33.60 Euro a year... although not even a hardcore WoW player would play 10 hours a day... well some does... some does but way to rare. Still, what i want to say is that it indeed will add up. Under worst case condition, some got 2x 480 GTX (we have users like that, who happily bought it because performance is all they care about). Then they have +200 W, and in 10 h 2 kW = 40 cent a day...over 100 Euro a year, in term they are a hardcore player...So theyr GPU can indeed cost more than the initial cost. Thats just as far as cost is concerned (not being "green"), i know that most US apparently enjoy to have theyr country full of nuclear reactors and some might enjoy to have one of them right at theyr home (and personally owned). ;) Well, i mean many of those people are happy for getting those leeeeech GPUs almost for free and are unable to see the higher maintenance cost, or apparently its not visible to them.

I have 170 $ electricity cost a month... and i even have LED bulbs installed at most spots already... i do care that "cost". But i know, in US electricity is cheap and produced by 130 nuclear (including new ones) reactors (but thats just a temporary cost drop, as soon as out of material or explosion happens, cost will increase).

But for me GFLOP/W and price/dollar ratio including electricity bill (thats part of the ratio), is important, for most OCers not. But it doesnt mean that OC can not be "green", a OC 7850 or a IB CPU is still extremely efficient, even at OC. Another concern is the noise of the fan, because my system is to small for water cooling, a cool running GPU is important!

About how long your PC or TV will last, thats a matter of luck because nowadays so much cheap stuff been build who can instantly go boom all of a sudden. Some stuff such as my 7850 is defective from day 1. But that can happen to any other hardware, some SSDs/HDDs did only last 1 min. The hardware i trust the most is "RAM", they truly last almost forever.

Last edited:
I have 170 $ power bill a month, yes i care unless you pay for me. ;) Had massive cost for all the LED bulbs but my maths was telling me that the energy saved (and several the lifetime) is lesser cost than using cheaper ones who need more energy. Comparable calculations is done for hardware too:
1. How much performance do i need @1080P/60FPS max detail? OC 7850 = successful. (for the games i play).
2. How much will it cost me after years of use? 7850 is the winner.

Not short sighted.. long view.

Last edited:
Back